Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Leaded Fuel Ban Petition

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:38 AM

Leaded Fuel Ban Petition

This is ridiculous, be sure to sign and add your comments!!

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Snakepit/petition.html
Old 01-25-2008, 11:48 AM

No, this is Ridiculous. Be sure and read it before signing this petition.

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=932

I'm a died in the wool gear head, and I think lead should be banned too. Maybe if it is banned, we can get off our collective lazy asses and find another solution.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 PM

I agree with Q. Lead is old-tech and there's plenty of non-lead additives that can be used.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:45 AM

OK, I can agree with where you guys are coming from. But take into account that this will only eliminate 1.5% of leaded fuels used in Canada, with the rest being used for aviation, which will not be affected. Also, many tracks are stating that they will be forced to shut down since there big $$ shows are sanctioned in the US, and will not be allowed to race in Canada.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Why?

What percentage of cars burn leaded fuel nowadays? Racing fuels are already a dying commodity, this is one step closer to eliminating them completely at the pump.

Very informative article Q but i dont think that really effects the here & now beyond aircraft that are still burning it. (which should indeed be banned). Banning these fuels are only hurting the enthusiast which is small in number anyway. I like how the article made the chemist out to be an ignorant a**hole when he was the one paid to make those discoveries and it was actually GM that didnt care. I dont think anyone had any idea about ozone damage back then so you can hardly blame it on that guy. The man himself didnt think his solution would be popular.

I really dont see banning "this and that" as ways to solve problems as long as they arent in primary circulation. If we want to progress as a society we should be mandating alternative fuels instead of spending money on the fickle stuff. The EPA does not mandate closed course competition so as long as we arent making any new vehicles that require high octane fuel, i dont see what the problem is.

Im led to believe that both the petition and the article are heavily biased.

Let me put it this way. If a 100+ octane UNLEADED fuel was promised to replace turbo blue/torco leaded fuel, i would be perfectly fine with lead getting banned. However, i see this as a one-way street... meaning there would be no replacement, and for that reason I lean towards signing it. Kind of sad when alternatives are already availible, but replacing it is likely not what the people proposing the ban have in mind.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 01-28-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:37 PM

So if we had an opportunity to stop 1.5% of all serial killers it isnt worth it because we cant stop it all and it doesnt effect you?

Wow, that is some of the best logic I have ever seen!

Simple point is lead kills, and there is no debating that. But because it is only 1.5%, its ok, its not a HUGE number so its ok. :wtf:
Old 02-01-2008, 05:55 AM

You can make your race cars run on E85 or E100. Ban the lead.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer1q
So if we had an opportunity to stop 1.5% of all serial killers it isnt worth it because we cant stop it all and it doesnt effect you?

Simple point is lead kills, and there is no debating that. But because it is only 1.5%, its ok, its not a HUGE number so its ok. :wtf:

A little bit of a stretch don't you think.... as the "lead that kills" is cumulative... whereas 1 serial killer versus 100 will still kill one person.

The issue here is not really the problem with lead... we all agree that lead is bad... but the idea that banning in just one Canadian jurisdiction for one use, while allowing it everywhere else would harm the local economies (due to tracks closing, etc) while really having an insignificant effect on the overall problem.

With most of the pollution in Ontario coming from the US... and furthermore the largest local polluters within the province still using leaded fuels, benefit of such a law to the environment is negligible whereas to the local economies is huge. (Most tracks draw significant $$$ for smaller rural towns that they are situated in, and they are very sensitive to decreases in $$$)

Now... if all the large US jurisdictions banned leaded fuels, forcing the racing community to change, then the issue would be different, as it would not be a barrier to racing only in Ontario.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer1q

lead has killed who?

my dad and uncles have been running leaded fuel in their 13.5 compression cars for years and years and no one has any health issues. Ive been around it since i was 3 years old too and im fine

I completely believe you that lead is a poison, but as the saying goes "one germ doesnt get you sick." Its not like people are sucking on tail-pipes.

I will admit i have some political bias: i hate just about any ordinance that protects stupid people from themselves because they are the ones who ruin the free market for everyone else.

if i had to answer your question about 1.5% of serial killers, I would respond with the questions of: "am i losing any civil liberties to achieve that 1.5%? will it cost any money?" benefits are only beneficial if the cost is less than its equal. A dollar spent for a penny earned is not a good thing.

As i said before if the ban promised an immediate replacement, i would be ALL for it. you cant just throw drag racing on "hiatus" for the time being. replacement first [simaultaneously], then ban. would you predict 105+ octane unleaded to be at the pumps after this? What we are doing with energy saving light bulbs is a good example of how to properly phase out destructive technology. (im sure youre aware, but incandescents are being banned from production in 2010).

i personally dont see high octane eco-fuel being readily availible and at a reasonable price at this point.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 02-02-2008 at 08:49 PM.