Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

If you think *your* luck is bad...! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 02:35 PM

Post If you think *your* luck is bad...! (long)

My summer has been just crazy and last night I felt like I was about to lose my mind.

This is everything that has happened so far this summer:
  • Dad had his wisdom teeth out and needed care
  • Mom had her hysterectomy and has needed lots of care pretty much all summer
  • Following the hysterectomy, Mom had to be brought back to the ER on two separate occasions
  • I got sick and healed just in time to have my wisdom teeth out
  • my boyfriend shot himself in the leg

Now on top of all that, my parents and I spent all day Sunday in the ER with my brother because he was having bad abdominal pain. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. They did a blood test and his white count was elevated, but he wasn't running a fever (not yet at that time). They did an x-ray and it was inconclusive so they did an abdominal CT with contrast dye. That looked fine. The ER doc said that the only other thing he could think of was that it was some kind of viral infection, so they finally gave him some IV pain reliever and said he should come back if the pain returned. I knew he'd have to go back when the pain reliever wore off.

At about 10 last night my parents took my brother back to the ER because the pain had returned. I stayed at home to take care of our dog. Viral infection, my @$$. A viral infection does not cause that much pain.

My parents and brother had to wait 3 hours to get in, the waiting room was packed. Finally they got in because my Dad went up to the desk and bitched. People who had come in after they did were getting in to the ER before them, and those other people were walking in under their own power. My brother's pain was so bad he couldn't walk.

It took 3 tries to get an IV in. The idiot "patient care assistant" (read: moron with who knows how little medical experience) exploded two veins before he went and got a paramedic to try it. My Mom wanted to do it because she's still a licensed med-tech, but they wouldn't let her do it.

Finally he got to see a surgeon who said that there are only 3 things that could cause such pain in a young healthy person like my brother: appendicitis, appendicitis, and appendicitis. So they wanted to operate to take it out, or if that wasn't the problem then they'd look for whatever was the problem.

It was his appendix. It was tucked in with his intestines and that's why it hadn't shown up on the x-ray and CT scans that they did while we were there during the day on Sunday. At least now it has been removed and it didn't burst. I'm going to the hospital at 5 today to spend some time with him, the whole family is working in shifts so that there's always someone with him.

I'm so thankful that this isn't all happening while I'm in school, or else I think I'd have a breakdown. For those of you who pray, could I ask for prayers? I really feel like we need them...

------------------
~Rebecca
1995 Z28 "The Ride"
dark purple metallic
temporary picture of my ride
Old 08-05-2002, 03:01 PM

Damn, that sounds like some bad luck, I hope your brother gets better and the rest of your family, good luck with the rest of your summer, try to have some fun. You have roughly three weeks before school starts again. What school do you go to Western or Kalamazoo? Anyhow good luck and maybe you need to get to the drag strip and burn off some of your frustrations, thats what I always do.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:44 PM

Talking

I had appendicitis when I was 7. Not fun at all.. I hope everything turns out ok for you.

------------------
- Steve - 1998 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
LS1 A4, 2.73's, Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 245/50/ZR16's, Direct Flow Lid, GMAF, !FRA, Loudmouth, 3" Y-Pipe, AIT Mod, Fan Switch Mod
13.774 @ 103.33, 97+ RPO Codes, Join The CamaroZ28.Com Users Webring
Old 08-05-2002, 04:49 PM

Yopu need to lighten up. Nothing you said is bad at all. Wisdom teeth are no biggie. Apendicitis is a routine procedure now, they don't even have to cut you open anymore. Just take it with a grain of salt and be glad noone is dead. To put it in perspective during my senior year I had 3 real close friends die from drunk drivers.

------------------
2001 Black WS6
bigdog.s-8-n.com/nick

Supporter of boycott Lapeer and Milan
Old 08-06-2002, 01:03 AM

I'll give ya some prayers

------------------
hchap63@hotmail.com

01/SS, Black A4, TR224/112, ARE stage 2 heads, lid, FTRA, PMAF, PTB, Grott LT, true duals, NGK, ASP pulley, Vig 3200, LCA, poly TAB, Convo pros, ET Streets, 3300 raceweight. Little bit of juice..

Best ET: (All bolt ons) 11.496@116.42 (1.52)

Current best after Head & cam & nitrous:
10.88@124 (1.60)

Motown Muscle King of The Hill winner 6-8-02. Want some? Get some!!

RIP #3 Dirty Dale!!!
Old 08-06-2002, 10:35 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nick's WS6:
Yopu need to lighten up. Nothing you said is bad at all. Wisdom teeth are no biggie. Apendicitis is a routine procedure now, they don't even have to cut you open anymore. Just take it with a grain of salt and be glad noone is dead. To put it in perspective during my senior year I had 3 real close friends die from drunk drivers.</font>
You're right, it could be worse. I'm very thankful everyone I care about is still alive. Thanks for the grain of salt.

But in my defense I'm going to say... you still have your wisdom teeth, don't you? Cuz the pain you have after having them out is not exactly fun! And they did have to cut my brother open, he has like a 3" incision. It's not that any one of those things would have been so bad, just that all of them one after another is kind of alot.

But you're still right about the grain of salt.

------------------
~Rebecca
1995 Z28 "The Ride"
dark purple metallic
temporary picture of my ride
Old 08-06-2002, 12:36 PM

are you sure you're not related to 91ReddSledd?
Sorry about your luck medical problems are the worst. Hope everyone gets better.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:58 PM

Unhappy

Wow sorry to hear of your misfortune.Makes my bad luck sound trivial. I hope your brother is doing well.AS for me the Rustang is still rollin on No problems as of yet. Well two problems I guess. It is a SLOW TURD (but it looks good) AND #2 It's a ford.Hope your luck turns around Beck.

James

------------------
91 Z-28 305 H.O. 210 RWHP
crane hi-6,holley reg,air foil,3:73 richmonds,Ed Wright stage 2 chip,msd wires,SLP headers,best e.t 14.4@99.02mph

95 S-10 Blazer 4.3l A4 W/230,000 original miles.Never been touched but getting tired.Still likes to do burnouts!!!!