Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

How's your winter project going?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:53 PM

How's your winter project going?

Mine has not progressed at all. Car still sits as it did after I pulled the motor in the summer.

After being laid off for 5 days, I was called back to work 3rd shift, hauling Jeeps to the rail yards. So the days are long..

Still trying to decide on what motor to do. 6.0, or 427 LS7. Saw the new Vette @ the show, and it is awesome, but I dont think I can wait until mid summer for that motor to become available.

What's everyone else got going?
Old 02-01-2005, 08:22 AM

Re: How's your winter project going?

Call wheel to wheel if you want a 427 dude, there bad
Old 02-01-2005, 09:54 AM

If funds are tight, and you plan to spray it hard, keep the shortblock low dollar so if it dies it's not a big deal.

Mine is together, we changed the valvesprings since it looked like it was getting some valve float at 6500-6600 and I'd like to have it peak a little higher. Just waiting for some C16 to show up so we can dyno one more time.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:56 AM

My car sits just like it did when I had it TOWED to the storage place.

It will not run, it will not idle, and it looses power if you do get it to run. The exhaust note sounds "Tinny" I have a feeling thats timing related. But, on the other hand, it could be physical timing i.e. timing chain stretched. Maybe why it was so hard to start after it had been running. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:06 AM

lol, slowly, very slowly...

car's been down for a year, it's still got 8" of snow on it now. engine is in peices and transmissin and rear need to be gone over yet.

good news is, all the peices are there for the engine, cams installed, just need to drop the pistons and crank in. heads are still under progress, i've been porting them out at work. i did what i could with the 3" burr tool, and pretty much got it all roughed in except the intakes. so i bought a 6" carbide burr to finish that, finally got around to working on it last weekend, finished the intakes on one head, one more to go and then i'm off to polishing. then it's off for a valve job.

got my a1000 fuel pump and regulator, just need to pickup some filters, line and ends.

gonna need a good clutch yet but things are in progress. hopefully after tomorrow work will slow enough for me to have some time to work on it.

gotta get her buttoned up before spring, man it's coming quick! gonna be march before we know it!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:13 PM

Got my my new 382 shortblock done. Working overtime to pay for the heads and an ls6 intake or a fast90. Also trying to figure out a fuel system.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:25 PM

Last winter's project is starting to take shape...
Old 02-01-2005, 10:34 PM

My car is comming along just got my MTI X1 cam in today(230/227 .591/.571 114LSA) , plan on scoopin up a ls6 itake this week some time. After the a ported TB and a pully and a nice tune should do it. As for the stroker... diffrent story me and the pops are trying to raise the funds for a set of AFRs to put on that stout bottom end and after we finish the engine we need a car to put it in.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:12 AM
KRS

My car is moving along slowly.I've got some more engine parts on the way to finish up my 350.Once they arrive it's getting put back together and the L69 is coming out.
The body needs work still...i really need t finish sanding and get it off to the painters soon,i was hoping to have it ready for the beginning of the cruise night season but i dont think it will be painted by then.
I need to get the tranny sorted out(but the car needs to be on the road to get that working right).
thats just about what i have left on it.Then i have to turn my attention to my 85 which is in need of some serious body work after 3 years of me driving it all year round.Man does road salt ever do damage.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:21 AM

Hi, Harold!

my ol' bird is sitting in the body shop with all the paint sanded off and all the little ripples filled in. The manager tells me that they will be priming the car this week followed by two sessions of blocking by hand. Once done, it's off to the spray booth for a new coat of Midnight sand-grey metallic paint. Then I get to take it home, put it up on the stands and tear out the whole powertrain in order to swap in the new stuff.

I'm probably going to have to take out a loan to finish the project by spring, however because the paint alone is $4K +

I just couldnt bring myself to putting that pretty motor into a car with 21 year old paint. I also need to do a suspension rebuild AGAIN, FOR THE THIRD TIME. (137,000 miles)
Old 02-02-2005, 11:49 AM

Well, I got my rear quarter repainted, because the clear coat was peeling due to poor body work, and I got my hood and front bumper painted. I also got custom stripes down the hood and rear hatch. Helps to have a dad who owns a body shop, lol. So far I bought a Lingenfelter cold air kit, which has been sitting in the box in my room because whats the point of putting it on?

I cleaned the underneath of the car, and shot some new rubber undercoat in the rear wheel wells. I want to do some other mods but I dont know what to do, and headers are a bit too much for me.

Rob

1994 Z28 A4
Old 02-02-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by GreenZLT1
I cleaned the underneath of the car, and shot some new rubber undercoat in the rear wheel wells. I want to do some other mods but I dont know what to do, and headers are a bit too much for me.

Rob

1994 Z28 A4
Your car sounds like a prime modfest candidate, to me!
Whaddya say, Harold? Should we fix him up?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:19 PM

Well, my winter projects are going good so far. The new valvetrain is in. New Pro 5.0 shifter. I'm just waiting for all my C5 brake parts to arrive, and then the entire front brake system is getting upgraded, and a little for the rear brakes. C5 (Z06) front brakes, stainless lines everywhere. Only thing I'm not changing are the rear caliper and rotor.

Dan
Old 02-03-2005, 09:08 PM

I guess undercoating isn't a mod.

what the h*ll was I thinking? lol

Rob

1994 Z28 A4
Old 02-03-2005, 10:11 PM

i must say its coming along pretty well with me and chris. getting everything ready to put the engine in. then comes the hard stuff. wiring, and fabricating. and making things fit. and look like thats where they belong.

Quick Reply: How's your winter project going?