Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

A heart attack is no fun.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 06:15 AM

A heart attack is no fun.....

...... trust me, now I know.

This posting isn't being made to solicit sympathy, but as a warning to you guys out there, especially those in their 30's and 40's.

Last Tuesday, after presenting the dissertation for my Master's degree, I started feeling poorly. I hadn't been sleeping but 4 hours a night, was pretty stressed up about the paper, plus had all the springtime yard and toy jobs backing up. I had even scheduled an appointment the next day with my doctor because of my "state of exhaustion" as I was calling it.

You know how you always hear about people having heart attacks who describe shooting chest pains, pains up the arms, etc? Well, at no time did I ever describe how I was feeling in those terms because I wasn't. It was just a general discomfort with an occasional very tight chest.

I convinced my daughter to take me to Redi-care after stopping at the ER and seeing the long line and all the drama. Remember, I still had no clue that I was having a heart attack. Redi-care, to their credit, suspected something big and put me on an EKG. They quickly informed me that I might be having a heart attack and would be transferred back downtown to the ER.

Turns out that I had a coronary artery that was 100% blocked, causing the attack. I was awake, alert and totally amazed as I watched a dozen people work me over as the prepared me for an angioplasty (where they insert, into the groin, a catheter into the artery and use a balloon on the tip to dislodge the clog).
Then they inserted a stent to hold the artery open and hopefully, prevent another clog there.

By 1 pm, I was in the critical cardiac care unit recuperating.

So much for the dramatic story, here's my point. I had a treadmill stress test and EKG in December and was given the all clear. Since then, I had cut way back on the beer, began eating right, walked 3 miles a day, and dropped about 20 pounds. Too little, too late, I guess!

If any of you guys in your 30's or 40's think this is just **** for old guys to worry about, think again, especially if you have a father, mother, uncle, or grandparent who has (or had) heart or artery disease. I am 48 and have a very poor family health history and have been treated for high blood pressure (hypertension) for the past year.

I was extremely fortunate. The permanent damage to my heart was minor. I still have a 2nd artery that's 80% blocked and will have to have another angio done in a couple weeks.

I'm not going to get all preachy about how you need to change your lifestyle and all that, but if you have the family history, it's not a question of "if" you'll have trouble, it's "when" you'll have trouble. Trust me. Go to school on me.

So, I'm off work for a month or so, my boat project sits unfinished, I can't ride my new scoot........ hell, I can't even drive for a couple weeks. I'm not looking for a pity party, I'm just trying to illustrate how something like this will really f u c k up all of your plans.

My family has been wonderful. How many 18 year olds can stand around at the hospital while their dad is having the big one and hold together. I actually think it's been harder on them than me.

Sorry for the long post, but if this makes an impression on one of you, it's worth the trouble.

RRRR
Old 05-03-2004, 06:45 AM

WOW! Glad to hear you made it thru ok... and thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:26 AM

good post....another reminder i gotta get my butt back into an excerse routine
Old 05-03-2004, 10:47 AM

I made my decision about 2 weeks ago when I checked my blood pressure and it was 164 over 107. Pulse was close to a 100, and that was at rest. Really bothered me, because I have some other health issues going on too.

Decided to change my life. Started a new diet and exercise plan today.

The fear of what happened to you actually happening to me has been on my mind for along time. Seeing my BP that high is what made me realize it was real.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:59 AM

Hopefully things will get better for you!

My uncle died when he was 54 from a massive heart attack. He was in shape, worked out every day, had normal bp & was given a clean bill of health just weeks before he died. There is also no history of heart problems in the family.

One night after dinner he complained of severe heartburn, he thought it was silly but my aunt drove him to the hospital, where they confirmed that he was just having a heartburn attack. They didn't hook him up to any machine eventhough my aunt insisted and they released him with some antacids and a script for some heartburn pills. Less than 8 hours later he died.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Timberwolf
I made my decision about 2 weeks ago when I checked my blood pressure and it was 164 over 107. Pulse was close to a 100, and that was at rest. Really bothered me, because I have some other health issues going on too.

The fear of what happened to you actually happening to me has been on my mind for along time. Seeing my BP that high is what made me realize it was real.
Well, Timberwolf, we've never met, but I do remember replying to your BP post over at the lounge. Not to scare you, but for some reason, you came to mind when I was composing that post.

Take care of your health, man.

RRRR
Old 05-03-2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Timberwolf
I made my decision about 2 weeks ago when I checked my blood pressure and it was 164 over 107. Pulse was close to a 100, and that was at rest. Really bothered me, because I have some other health issues going on too

Wow that is some really high BP there!! I didn't realize how good mine was until just now! Just had a physical (new job, might be able to pay for stuff now ), BP was 100 over 62, they didn't tell me what my heart rate was, but I believe its in the low 70s bpm.

RRRR, glad to hear that you are ok, its way too often that these things don't turn out so well. Just be carefull and take it easy, we don't want an encore.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:18 PM

Holy Cow, Randy!

No wonder you were slow returning my call!

Glad you did.

BE SURE TO CALL AGAIN if you need anything at all.

(Except your money back for the scoot!)

--Dan
Old 05-03-2004, 05:47 PM

Glad you were smart enough to go get looked at.

Hope all is smooth sailing from here on out.

Dan
Old 05-03-2004, 11:46 PM

I have been there with you bro! so i can empathize. I had a small one at 26 the doc said it was from either the pnmonia or the cold meds i took that caused a spasam. You just never know when something like that could happen. My doctor says many people have them and dont even know it. It scared the $hit out of me. Take it easy and take your meds not to mention change your diet. Oh and dont stress so much its all small stuff. Steven
Old 05-04-2004, 12:56 AM

I'm so glad to hear that you're all right.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:33 AM

glad your alright......
Old 05-05-2004, 01:31 AM

Glad to hear you're o.k.

BTW, didn't I meet you up in Lansing. You're the guy with the white TA vert right? Burgundy interior?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by Rich_z28
Glad to hear you're o.k.

BTW, didn't I meet you up in Lansing. You're the guy with the white TA vert right? Burgundy interior?
Yes, that's me. My goal is to get back to my previous activity level, so I'm hoping to hit Jolly/Cedar for weekend ***** and grins this summer. C-ya there!

RRRR
Old 06-02-2004, 07:31 PM

RRRR gets his second stent today

I just heard from Randy's son today, and Randy is doing okay after getting his second angioplasty. They will keep him overnight for observation, then he gets to spend the summer doing cardiac rehab! That, and drinking less beer and more red wine I guess

Quick Reply: A heart attack is no fun.....