Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Back behind the wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:39 PM

Back behind the wheel!

I used to have an 84 Trans Am, but when the engine blew up on me that was the end of my ride with F-Bodies. I just bought an 85 Camaro IROC-Z28 (red) and I am so happy to be back in one of these cars. Right now the car is having some work done (previous owner tried to put an alarm in and destroyed the wiring) and I plan to get it painted black.

A bit about me. I'm one of those tree-hugging animal rights vegan hippies, but I won't mention it more than this once (unless you ask - I'm not ashamed!) I just don't force it down your throat. I sell stuff at Best Buy. I live in Redford, and I build and repair cars and guitars in my free time. I'm much better at guitars! Either way, Hopefully I'll be posting a lot!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 PM

well welcome aboard mate. I got some work cut out for me on my 95, but then Im bringing home my 86Iroc to start working on it again after that is done. its been in storage on the back burner for the last 4 years (maybe 5?)
you need some interior parts? I got some decent black interior panels and center console I was goin to swap into mine, but now that mine will be a drag car, no need for some of it, and the rest I'll just paint black.
who is goin to do your paint job? and how much? just curious.
I'll have to keep you in mind if my axe ever needs some work.
you got any cheap guitars hanging around your looking to sell off? looking for an acoustic and electric. but it has to be cheap. or could trade for speed parts maybe?

enough about me, whats your plans for the Iroc besides the paint job?

chris
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
well welcome aboard mate. I got some work cut out for me on my 95, but then Im bringing home my 86Iroc to start working on it again after that is done. its been in storage on the back burner for the last 4 years (maybe 5?)
you need some interior parts? I got some decent black interior panels and center console I was goin to swap into mine, but now that mine will be a drag car, no need for some of it, and the rest I'll just paint black.
who is goin to do your paint job? and how much? just curious.
I'll have to keep you in mind if my axe ever needs some work.
you got any cheap guitars hanging around your looking to sell off? looking for an acoustic and electric. but it has to be cheap. or could trade for speed parts maybe?

enough about me, whats your plans for the Iroc besides the paint job?

chris
Well, I actually am in the market for black interior panels. Mine has a red interior as well, at it is damn ugly! And the lid on the center console compartment is busted to hell on my car as well.
As for the paint - it's going to be a home job. A friend of mine does paint prep at a Toyota dealership - and with painting guitars being almost the same process as cars I feel confident in doing it myself. (I did some painting on the Trans Am)
Unfortunately I don't keep a collection of guitars. I've got one Gibson acoustic, and one Les Paul that I have of my own, and the rest I do for other people.
Future plans include putting a decent stereo (Employee discount is a wonderful thing) in and tinting the windows. I'm sure after I blow up the 305 TPI that's in it I'll upgrade to a 383 (again!) and with that comes new everything basically. The Trans Am I had sprayed truck bed liner in the entire engine bay. It looked good, and was great for working on the car. Might happen to the Camaro. I want to put sub frame connectors on it, and a strut tower bar. Upgrade the suspension to something a little stiffer, and either shift kit the tranny, or replace it with something that will handle what will in time be thrown at it. Other than that I'm not really sure. I guess more plans will be made after I complete some of those other projects. It's basically a daily driver that won't be a rust bucket. I'm not looking for a show car, and I don't plan to run 10's at the track, but I'd like a nice looking car that goes quick when I want to have some fun. (I don't street race) Reliably.

I'm a Chris too.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 PM

did you see that someone was selling a 4" cowl 'glass hood? wish I could afford it. got something comeing that will devour all my money for a long time to come. but its a good thing.
anyways, I'll try to pull out that box I got my black panels in, take inventory of what I got still, and its current condition. Im worried they are distorted from being in a large box for several years but we'll see. I'll let you know whats what.

also, got a pretty mean, but very streetable 350 longblock(complete minus intake, carb, ign. system)/headers/dual exh. for sale too. just sitting in storage. I sold off the intake and carb. dont have a use for that stuff anymore since im keeping my 383 LT1 engine for my Iroc and it'll need much larger exh. then what I had on my Iroc before. anyways the 350 just needs freshening (bearings) cause the oil press. just started to drop at hot idle when I pulled the car apart and decided to work on the 95 instead. let me know if your interested I'll make you a package deal. I can fill you in on the details if your interested.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 PM

Can't say that I'm huge on cowl hoods. I'm looking to get a fiberglass SS hood. As for the engine, I'm not really going to be in the market for some time. I plan to at least run through the 305 as this will not be a track car. The plastics I'm entirely interested in however. Once you see what you're working with, let me know! I'll get at you and see if you've still got that block when the time comes. Who knows when that might be though, this one currently runs pretty strong.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM

ahhh, the SS hood looks VERY good on 3rd gens. but not enough extra room for my intentions.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 PM

Chris, which BB you work at?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:08 AM

I'm at the one in Novi!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 AM

Welcome I'm over in Livonia!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 AM

Welcome to the board. Where is the BB in Novi, I haven't found one very close to me.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by LOW TRAC
Welcome to the board. Where is the BB in Novi, I haven't found one very close to me.
We are on Haggerty road, just barely north of 8 Mile (Baseline) on the West side of the street.

Then again, there is one by you on Orchard Lake road, between 13 and 14 Mile roads. East side of that street.

Last edited by TheAutumnMonths; 12-14-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Addition of information.