Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Anyone Know A Good Company That Can Mill My Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Anyone Know A Good Company That Can Mill My Heads?

I was going to take my heads to ET Performace in Walled Lake to be milled but looks like they are closed. Does anyone know of another company that does good head mill work in the Detroit metro area?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-08-2010, 04:45 PM

Have chris take them to big mike.Or I could stop at chris' shop and get them from him on my way home and get them to mike. Steven
Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by triumph
Have chris take them to big mike.Or I could stop at chris' shop and get them from him on my way home and get them to mike. Steven

What's Up? Who is big Mike? Where is he located? Has he done lots of this type of work?

I would like to take off about .010 to bump the compression.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM

I have had quality work done at D&S Engines in clawson. They cost more but do quality work.

http://www.dsengine.com/
Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 AM

Ive had some stuff done at a local place here in ann arbor (ill pm you the info).

For just a simple mill, Im sure they can do it. only taking off .010? how much of a CR increase is that? aren't ls1 heads like .006 per cc? that would mean only like a .2 increase in compression.

plus, you might have to go by what the machine shop says needs to be milled to make sure they are flat.

PLUS, have they been milled already? you might have to angle mill them vs flat mill; to make sure the intake ports still line up ok. the machine shop should have that with them before they do the work. I'd say.

I took .040 off my trickflow heads on the mustang; and it only gained me about half a point in compression (IIRC).

Last edited by rod442; 03-09-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:01 AM

Bill ,
Big mike has his own shop it is in detroit.Chris had some work done by him and so have i.He has been building motors for over 20 years. I know it out of the way for you guys so im offering to help. Steven
Old 03-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by rod442
Ive had some stuff done at a local place here in ann arbor (ill pm you the info).

For just a simple mill, Im sure they can do it. only taking off .010? how much of a CR increase is that? aren't ls1 heads like .006 per cc? that would mean only like a .2 increase in compression.

plus, you might have to go by what the machine shop says needs to be milled to make sure they are flat.

PLUS, have they been milled already? you might have to angle mill them vs flat mill; to make sure the intake ports still line up ok. the machine shop should have that with them before they do the work. I'd say.

I took .040 off my trickflow heads on the mustang; and it only gained me about half a point in compression (IIRC).
They are 5.3L so my understanding is the chambers are smaller to begin with? The heads will be pulled next week and we will see what they look like. I want to keep them under 11.1:1. I am hoping to get them to about 10.8:1

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by triumph
Bill ,
Big mike has his own shop it is in detroit.Chris had some work done by him and so have i.He has been building motors for over 20 years. I know it out of the way for you guys so im offering to help. Steven
Thanks for the offer.... I am not sure how fast Chris will need the heads turned around? They don't want the car sitting apart in the shop for a long period of time. I was told Livernois could do them in a day or two.

Let me talk to Chris and get back to you. I appreciate the offer.

Where are you living now?

Later,

Bill
Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM

I am in dearborn and work in plymouth. Mike could do them in a day probably the same night if i wait for them. Steven