Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

anyone got a LT1 dampner installer I can borrow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:05 PM

Wink anyone got a LT1 dampner installer I can borrow?

I can pick it up sunday and bring it back tues. or wed. night. the one I usually use at work is missing. and I need to install my dampner mon.. anyone got one?
chris
Old 09-26-2004, 08:08 AM

Re: anyone got a LT1 dampner installer I can borrow?

noone has one? anyone know where I can get a threaded rod that size that I can use to make one?
Old 09-26-2004, 10:27 AM

Hey Chris, you can get threaded rod from most hardware stores, there are a few out by me that have a good selection. What exactly does the tool need to look like? I have several different tools made from threaded rod and welding up some steel brackets.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

You had better find some grade 8 allthread if you plan to go that route, the regular stuff must places sell will not be strong enough. What makes it more difficult yet is that it is 7/16" 20TPI, which isn't a very popular size thread.

I just used a longer grade 8 (or harder if you can find it) bolt that I got from the hardware store and used some washers and used that with a combination of hitting it with a dead blow hammer to pull the hub on. I know it wasn't the best way, but I searched all over and couldn't find grade 8 7/16" fine all thread anywhere. You might have luck at a specialty fastner shop. Either that or check at the local Chevy dealer for the proper kent-moore tool to do it. The one that Autozone rents won't work either, I tried that too.

Oh, and another couple bits of advice, don't use the factory bolt to pull it on, you can stretch it or even break it off in the crank if you're unlucky. And, make sure that the bolt is threaded into the crank at least the diameter of the bolt before you start pulling the hub on or you can rip the threads out of the crank.

All I can say is what a goofy design.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:03 PM

7/16-20NF is a standard size. I dont think he will find anything better than a grade 8 unless he had me make it but even then it would be too hard because it would be brittle like an old pop bottle and if that broke good luck getting it out. Chris if you find a good grade of threaded rod then use some big washers a and nut like the LS1 tool. Steven
Old 09-26-2004, 04:34 PM

well, I went to aco, and they didnt have that size in threaded rod. other sizes, but Im not even sure what grade that was. I'll try home depot, but I dont think they have much of a good selection. tomorrow I'll try CJ fasnters in livonia. I can try to borrow the kent moore tool from the chevy or buick dealership down the road from my dealership. they should have it too. I would just order that one off ebay, but I dont want to wait.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:16 PM

you mean the removal tool? autozone rents them free
Old 09-26-2004, 10:46 PM

no, the installer. I can always try to call the auto stores too to see if they have an installer, we'll see. I'll save that for last, maybe I wont even get to that point tomorrow anyways.