Middle Atlantic New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

Question for Youngstown locals

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 02:46 PM

Question for Youngstown locals

I have a couple questions for those local to the Youngstown area.

I'm sure you've all driven down 224 in Boardman. For those of you that drove your car down that road with the stock DeCarbon's, how was the ride? I know I can feel every bump going through the car [especially if you're driving by the Acura/Mitsubishi dealer headed towards the mall] and the tires like to follow the cracks in the road. Could you drive over the railroad tracks without slowing down? I know I have to slow down before I cross them with the DeCarbon because I don't want the car to feel as if it's going to bottom out.

For those of you that have 17" wheels running 40 series sidewall height tires, how was the ride comfort going over those same bumps and train tracks?

And for those that have gotten rid of the DeCarbon's for Bilsteins or something else, how much was the ride comfort improved on the same road? Anyone with 17" wheels and Bilsteins?

I'm just really anxious to get my Bilsteins and 17" wheels on my car once the weather clears up this spring.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:01 PM

Re: Question for Youngstown locals

Well I'll tell you what my car rides 100% better after the swap. It handles a hellava lot better too. If you want to take a spin in it be my guest, hell I might even let you drive if I'm feeling saucey. I'm going to be in the Youngstown-YSU-Boardman area tomorrow around 330-430pm. I think you have my cell phone number.

224 feels alot better driving down, actually all roads do. Steering response is also much better. Since your going to have a similar setup, I can say youll really love the way your car is going to sit, ride, and handle.

Justin is go for an install, lets get them in for ya. That way you can get those LT's ordered and on

-Dustin-
Old 01-30-2006, 11:55 PM

Camarocracy----I dont know if its more of a DeCarbon deal or a tire prob but I know for a fact that my tires will grab every crack in the road. So that might be somthing you might want to look into when buying tires for your new WS6 wheels. I have Goodyear GS-D3's 275-40-17's on the TA and I also had them on my camaro for some time now. I love them and hate them. Love how they grip around turns and the wet traction, but I am getting tired of the wheel going towards every crack/line in the road! Since I dont drive mine that much my next tire is going to be Nitto's or the new BFG with the x pattern cant think of the name off the top of my head.

As for the Bilstein I feel like I am being left out since both of you got them. I was looking into buying them but I wanted to get the Sam Strano ones. The catch is that I also want to get LT's so I am torn on what to buy. I dont have the cash to do both at this juncture so one or the other. I am very interested in going for a ride in Dustins' car and hearing feeling the power of the LT's and the Bilsteins.

-Justin
Old 01-31-2006, 12:26 AM

My 275/40/17 GS-D3's did and do the same thing. Great traction, best street tire I've used to date, but they do track a bit. I have them in the front now, with 315/35/17 Sumitomo HTRZ's in the rear.

The shocks depend on the miles on the WS6. If its decently low miles I'd do LT's first since power in where the LT1's should be first. I cant say I hated my decarbons till the 80 thousand mark. Then they became total crap.

Either way, I'd like to meet you guys sometime and help you get some stuff installed to save you both some money.

Hopefully its dry tomorrow at YSU so I can show you the great aspects of the car

-Dustin-
Old 01-31-2006, 11:07 AM

Oh trust me im in for saving money! I already changed my T-56 and am in the process of fixing a oil leak from the fron timing cover. While I am in there I am also swaping in a new K-member and some other newer parts. Local dealer wanted like 4k for just the oil leak fix....I was like can I have my car back now!!

-Justin
Old 01-31-2006, 11:19 AM

What was up with the T56? Yea, Greenwood wanted $1250+ to do my opti, that was the day I realized I was doing all my car work on my own. That was also my first time working in the engine bay, been living there ever since.

Mine leaks oil too, back, front, side, pretty much everywhere, but not enough for me to be alarmed or fix it till the heads and cam go in. I just change the oil a bit early.

-Dustin-
Old 01-31-2006, 11:32 AM

Well the 2nd gear was gone and no one in town wanted to look at it. So I sold it and got a new D&D T-56
I have some pics of the oil leak and the dent in the stock K-member. I also wanted to fix everyting when I do a cam but at this time I felt like I just wanted the car to run good. So I am doing the water pump opti and such now.
And the Pics;

-Justin
Old 01-31-2006, 12:28 PM

Yea that front leak looks pretty severe. Mine isnt quite like that. Although it looks like there is plenty of room for some nice longtube headers. Oh and while your doing the WP, consider a CSR E-WP. I've had mine for quite some time and it was one of my top 3 mods. Cant beat 10rwhp/10rwtq. Its already lasted longer than my brand new GM Mechanical I bought when I did my opti.

You need to update your sig with some mods

-Dustin-
Old 01-31-2006, 03:26 PM

Hey, I would have called between 3-4, but I was at work during that time. Weather is turning worse now anyway.

I won't be able to work/get stuff done on my car for a while anyway, since I'm currently in school. Spring break looks like the best time to get stuff done.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:50 PM

Hey Dustin I loved the car, sounds and looks great! I ment to call you but your pass side rear tail brake light dosn't work, thought I should inform you about that. I also updated the sig by the way Im sure I left somthing out.

-Justin
Old 02-01-2006, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the compliments. Yea, its a phantom light, it goes in and out no matter how many times I change the bulb. Damn wiring gremlin. Good you finally have a sig.

No problem Camarocracy, I met with Justin, then had to rush to my dates house Which I will have to say went very very well. Anytime you have available let me know ahead of time so I can plan around it.

-Dustin-
Old 02-01-2006, 10:36 AM

JB Weld a .50 cent piece in place of the WP seal on the timing cover and you'll eliminate that leak once and for all. Also, install a Fel Pro oil pan gasket - you can do this with the engine still in the car, it's pretty easy.

I fought oil leaks for 2 years straight before finally puttin gin the 50 cent piece and haven't leaked since.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 AM

Highly recommend installing a tubular k member if you plan on doing LT's - the install sucks very large donkey ***** - I don't care what anyone says. Unless you have a lift - the job sucks.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:12 PM

Well since I'm anyone I'd have to say my buddies RK Sports were harder than my Hooker LT's, but tubular K's are sweet anyways.

-Dustin-
Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 PM

Cantonracer and I installed his Kooks a while back and with his tubular k member it took all of maybe 20 minutes - a freaking breeze. Sold me on the k member for ease of work and the Kooks sell themselves 'nuff said about those headers, they are simply amazing with the quality.

I just have to find a set that are better suited to my car - Cantons have huge ports for those hogged out AFR heads he has.

Quick Reply: Question for Youngstown locals