Middle Atlantic New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

PA Guys need some insight..PA vs. NJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 AM

PA Guys need some insight..PA vs. NJ

Well while my girls still in school weve decided to stay in an apt. until she finishes. Current lease is almost up and were thinking about making the jump to PA (close to Jersey though).Now ive lived in jersey my whole life except for military time and frankly im sick of it (actually was years ago, but now I can do something about it). I work at Mcguire AFB and from the looks of it renting is alot cheaper there and I can still have a fairly decent commute to work. So can someone give me some reasons why PA's better? Emmsions, Car insur., things to do,etc.etc., whatever comes to mind. Thx
Old 10-09-2007, 02:58 PM

Since you're renting, I don't really think there are many benefits other than slightly lower auto insurance. Your commute could possibly mitigate the savings in rent (I think rent is comparable in PA and NJ - you may be looking at a not-so-great neighborhood if you think it's a lot less than NJ).

PA requires you to have state inspection AND emissions done EVERY YEAR. In NJ it's every other year...

If you were buying, rather than renting, my opinion would be different because of the higher property taxes in NJ. Although, we have considered moving to NJ since we both work there. Some areas, property taxes are pretty much equal to that of PA taxes.

I'm not sure about state income taxes because when you live in PA and work in NJ the NJ company is REQUIRED to withhold taxes for the state you reside in. I have never paid NJ state taxes, even though I've been working here for a couple of years.

My $.02.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Yea i have to do a little more research but from what I see car wise PA wins hands down regardless of the inspection ever year i hear there very leanient (allowed a certain % tint all around, no from plate, and some guy on LS1 tech found a loop hole on how you can run a offroad y pipe legally ), as far as other things are concerned Im not sure. If it was up to me rounds could be going off outside as long as I have a roof over my head, I dont think the GF feels the same way
Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 AM

Depending on where you live in PA rent can pretty cheap compared to NJ. I pay 475 a month for my apartment. Its a half a double 2 bed, 1 bath, nice kitchen, nice living room, washer/dryer, fridge, stove. Only other expense is electricity, but garbage, and water bill are paid for also. Inspections very from county to county in PA. Some have emissions mostly bigger town areas, cities, etc. My county is just visual, and I have a friend in da BIZ Make the move just look around and make sure you get what you want and you want to make the commute.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 5SPDCHK
PA requires you to have state inspection AND emissions done EVERY YEAR. In NJ it's every other year...
The emissions varies from county to county and it depends on the year of the car as to what type of test is required.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 AM

its much more hilly in PA.. It nice to look at

and show me the guy who found the loophole i wanna see
Old 10-10-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by nodnarb481
its much more hilly in PA.. It nice to look at

and show me the guy who found the loophole i wanna see
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795956

scroll down to JohnnyC's post.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by RBE17
The emissions varies from county to county and it depends on the year of the car as to what type of test is required.
I did not know this, however, the OP is talking about living in PA and working in NJ so I'm guessing he's thinking the Greater Philadelphia area (Lower Bucks County probably).

Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 AM

I did not know this, however, the OP is talking about living in PA and working in NJ so I'm guessing he's thinking the Greater Philadelphia area (Lower Bucks County probably).

I didn't look at his location and is probably the case. I am lucky in the fact that I can live in Lehigh County while working in Phillipsburg, NJ. Property taxes still suck, but my car insurance is lower than when we lives in Bucks County. In addition, the emission laws are a little more relaxed here.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by RBE17
I didn't look at his location and is probably the case. I am lucky in the fact that I can live in Lehigh County while working in Phillipsburg, NJ. Property taxes still suck, but my car insurance is lower than when we lives in Bucks County. In addition, the emission laws are a little more relaxed here.
Yes, our insurance person told us that when you get away from the 19XXX zip codes, your rates decrease drastically. I wish we could get away with living in a different county. Property taxes are lower in most other counties too.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 AM

if you all dont mind me asking, how much do you pay a year for car insurance? i pay 1400 a year for both of my cars, w/ full coverage. im 21 years old.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Yes, our insurance person told us that when you get away from the 19XXX zip codes, your rates decrease drastically. I wish we could get away with living in a different county. Property taxes are lower in most other counties too.

Bucks and Montgomery County are horrible for car insurance. the 19xxx zips stretch up into Berks, where it's cheap. The bottom line is the further you move away from Philly, the cheaper it gets.

Our property taxes in Lehigh County are 2Xs that of Bucks. However, we have twice as much house, an in ground pool and 13X's the land.

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
if you all dont mind me asking, how much do you pay a year for car insurance? i pay 1400 a year for both of my cars, w/ full coverage. im 21 years old.
Harold,

I think we pay $1,6xx/yr, but we have a low deductible, full tort, fully covered vehicles. My wife's 2000 Eclipse GT and the 2007 TBSS. I pay an additional $243/yr on the TA through Grundy.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 PM

I have been shopping insurance this month since I'm now married and we need to combine our policies...

The best rate I have found is $3,000/year for our FOUR vehicles. All have full coverage with the highest limits possible, full-tort and low deductibles (Cars are: 2007 Accord Coupe, 1998 Dodge Ram, 1996 Grand Cherokee and 1993 Dodge Shadow Convertible).

Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 PM

I have full tort and low deducs too. im so happy i dont live in jersey or anywhere near it lol.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 PM

Maybe your insurance agent saw how you drive?

Quick Reply: PA Guys need some insight..PA vs. NJ