Middle Atlantic New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

moving to south jersey have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 03:33 PM

moving to south jersey have some questions

I will be moving to mcGuire afb in about a month and I am just curious what everyon ehas to say about that area. First thing that I can't believe is the insurance. holly crap it is going to cost like 5700 bucks a year and i have a clean record. anyone have a better company that they use. That is just to much money for me right now but I can't sell me car. Can't wait to get up there and see sights I hear that there is a lot to do that is really close. Appiciate and info you can give me on the state.

Thanks ANthony
Old 08-19-2003, 04:50 PM

I can't talk about the area, but as far as insurance rates go NJ is one of the highest in the country. There aren't many companies here that will treat you great either. The larger ones that most people use are:

Allstate
Liberty Mutual
NJ Manufacturer

I think even Prudential does car insurance these days and maybe NJ Cure.

I have been with allstate and they treat me good because I've been there so long.

If you change to a new insurance company they put you in a high risk bracket because you are new to them even though you have a clean record. Also, you can reduce your rates by increasing your deductible, putting in an alarm if you don't have one, and based on your location as well it affects the rates.

Just try to call around to a bunch of places and good luck.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:27 PM

anthony, i have new jersey manufacturers. i don't know how old you are but with this company once you turn 30 your insurance drop's big time. i was paying 2,400 dollars a year and when i turned 30 it droped to 862.00 a year i've been with them for the past 10 years. if you do sign up with them your going to go trough a trail period. they will set you up with what they call re-insurance. after a certain period of time if you have a clean record they will allow you in there company.

give them a call when you get in jersey...the # is 1-609-883-1300 or 1-800-690-6001

eric
Old 08-19-2003, 05:36 PM

THANKS FOR THE INFO i AM STILL SEARCHING AND I WILL KEEP ANYONE WHO WANTS TO KNOW UP ON THE INFO. I AM LOOKING FOWARD TO MOVING THERE BUT I EXOECT TO HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF TROUBLE FITTING IN SINCE I AM FROM CALI BUT I AM SURE THAT IT WILL WORK OUT. THANKS AGAIN

ANTHONY
Old 08-19-2003, 08:16 PM

yo eaze-i have nj manufact and mine is $2200 and i just turned 30 and im married and they told me it wouldnt' go down. what are you carrying, i have an 02 with full coverage.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:45 AM

Anthony,
I can't speak about insurance in NJ since I'm in PA - just across the bridge near Philly. I can, however, help you out with places to go and check out in the area. I'm not sure exactly where in South Jersey Mcguire is so some of these times may be off a bit!

Atco Raceway is located in South Jersey. It is one of the fastest tracks in the country. If you're interested in checking that out when you get here shoot me an email and I can recommend the best times to go. Englishtown (Raceway Park) is not more than an hour from South Jersey also. That's another quick track. If you're interested in drag racing at all you probably have seen many, many records set there at national events.

Philadelphia is very close to South Jersey. There is a ton to see and do in the city. The Jersey Shore is very close also. I could recommend a beach to you better if I knew how old you are. Wildwood is young with games and rides on the boardwalk. Seaside is similar but not as run-down. Sea Isle has become the spot for people out of the teenage years and into the bar age. Avalon is pretty cool also. Atlantic City - well, I don't have to explain that one to you!

New York City is just over an hour train ride. The pocono mountains are a couple of hour drive and Washington DC is 2-3 hours south.

There is plenty to see and do around here. Can ya tell I like where I live?

Old 08-20-2003, 02:59 PM

Anthony,

Noticing that you're going to McGuire AFB, are you military, or a dependent? If so, you're elegible for USAA banking and insurance. Their insurance is by far the cheapest in NJ. Trust me, I've looked.

As for McGuire, it's in the middle of nowhere. It takes a half hour to get to anywhere noteworthy, but it's not so bad. Atco is about 45 minutes from McGuire, Raceway Park at Englishtown is about an hour in the opposite direction.

If you are in the military, what do you do? I'm in the 2nd ARS at McGuire, KC-10 Boomer. Possibly going to see ya around??
Old 08-20-2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
Anthony,

Noticing that you're going to McGuire AFB, are you military, or a dependent? If so, you're elegible for USAA banking and insurance. Their insurance is by far the cheapest in NJ. Trust me, I've looked.

As for McGuire, it's in the middle of nowhere. It takes a half hour to get to anywhere noteworthy, but it's not so bad. Atco is about 45 minutes from McGuire, Raceway Park at Englishtown is about an hour in the opposite direction.

NJ Manufacturers is cheaper.

But yes I have USAA too.

And E town shouldn't be THAT far from McGuire.. what route do you take??

Eric
Old 08-20-2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by CHRISCAMARO
yo eaze-i have nj manufact and mine is $2200 and i just turned 30 and im married and they told me it wouldnt' go down. what are you carrying, i have an 02 with full coverage.

chris give them a call!!

eric
Old 08-21-2003, 04:31 AM

i hope you like nj. good luck with your move!! i do like your name!!
Old 08-21-2003, 07:59 AM

Who do you have now? If you have State Farm they'll cover you. NJ insurance is some of the very highest in the country, so whoever you go with, you'll pay alot.
McGuire is 1 of the few areas in the state that is mostly country.
You'll be close to Philly, the beach, & a bunch of stuff in NJ.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:15 PM

hey anthony when are you moving to jersey anyway?

eric
Old 08-23-2003, 10:50 AM

Well again thanks for all the good info. I will be moving to NJ in about a month and a half. I have to go up to spokan washington for survival school then I am off to MCGuire from south west texas. I have usaa right now and with the current coverage that I had was 5700 dollars a year clean record. I got it down to 3100 by raising my deductable and lowering the coverage but that sucks for me. I am 22 so it makes insurance kind tricky. Anyways can't wait to get up there and see the new home. Laters

Anthony