Middle Atlantic New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

I quit my job!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 07:49 PM

I quit my job!

Well after 7 years working for Caterpillar, my career there has come to an end. I turned in my notice and this Friday will be my last day there.

Long story short, we signed a 5 year deal on our last contract. .50 per year for 5 years and we are currently in year 4 of that deal. I knew it was going to be a problem back when we signed it but unfortunately I am only 1 of the 300+ people in the union.

My department handles power generation side of the buisness. A small but important part of the union employees at Cat. In the past 4 years the power generation buisness had just exploded! The companies in teh buisness are forking out major bucks to get good highly skilled people. My old job called me up about a month ago and asked if I would go down and talk to them. I figured sure why not?

After talking to them I found out that they have fixed all the problems they used to have and are really out to get people in the industry.

They made me an offer that I just cant refuse!

$3.50 per hour more than what I make now, they are giving me back my 2 years that I worked for them before towards vacation and all that. They are paying my Cobra untill the insurance kicks in and waived all time requirement for me to get back into the 401K and profit sharing program. Basically other than teh medical I will start my first day and already have 2 years on the books.

As for Cat, the company is "restructuring" and the field service department has just been a mess for a few years now. The new management is dumping tons of money into the buisness to clean up the mess left by old management. And they are just so far behind on the competitive pay scale that I just cant stick around to find out what happens on the next contract. I have a feeling that its going to be a real knock down, dragged out bloddy fight. So my gut is telling me to get out while I can!

But I am looking forward to my new job. I start Monday the 9th. I will be their lead power generation tech and heading up some very large projects and helping maintain their home fleet.

Just incase any of you are intrested to see where I am going you can check out their corporate website here

www.aggreko.com

I will be working out of the Bridgeport NJ plant which is the main hub and overhaul shop for the NE section of the country.

Wish me luck!

BTW, I got a brand new Silverado 2500HD service truck sitting there waiting for me Just a side deal I made with my old (or should I say new) boss!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:59 PM

Re: I quit my job!

Good luck Brian. In the last couple of years the old job has been taking more and more from you and keeps giving you less and less. Good for to make the change.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:58 PM

Good luck B!
Old 05-03-2005, 07:24 AM

Sounds like an amazing deal! Good luck with it Brian!!!!

Old 05-03-2005, 07:35 AM

Great news to read for you. Wow, all your time back AND a hefty raise! That'll come in handy with handling Liz new home improvement projects for you.
Thanks for posting this, it is nice to read something decent happening to a decent person. Best of luck to you...
Old 05-03-2005, 01:08 PM

Sounds like a good deal man, good luck!

- Justin
Old 05-03-2005, 06:56 PM

good luck. its a shame you have to leave but i know what you are saying. especially with the field service end of things. my company spends well over $80k a year on cat rentals, mostly thru giles and ransom, but damn everytime we rent a cat, if it so much ahs a scratch on a 318 or skidsteer $1300+. if something breaks down on site, forget about a job schedule.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:37 PM

G&R is who I work for. I am field service for Ransome Engine. One of the biggest complaints we get is that we just dont get to the site quick enough and the company just doesnt follow thru with their promises. I love the work and the customers but the company has to get thru this tough period without me. I just am no longer willing to wait it out ya know...
Old 05-03-2005, 08:51 PM

3.50 is a kickass raise, hope everything works out ...were you at the catapiller right off (was it 287 or the turnpike, not sure) w/ the machinery out on the lawn?
Old 05-04-2005, 06:49 AM

yeah my office (or soon to be old office) is the Cat dealer right off the PA tpk in Bensalem
Old 05-04-2005, 08:30 AM

i work for cat also.and are last contract was a killer.we only have one year left on it.and the word is that it is suspose to get alot better this time around.i know what your goin through.good luck!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 97TransAm

Thanks for posting this, it is nice to read something decent happening to a decent person. Best of luck to you...
I agree!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Projectz28
G&R is who I work for. I am field service for Ransome Engine. One of the biggest complaints we get is that we just dont get to the site quick enough and the company just doesnt follow thru with their promises. I love the work and the customers but the company has to get thru this tough period without me. I just am no longer willing to wait it out ya know...
out of bensalem? if so i installed all of the waste oil tanks there....small world.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:36 PM

Yup, the one in Bensalem.

I could go on and on about the problems there. But in a nut shell the union employees work their butts off and the managers get a bonus. All we got was a job on Saturday They dont pay competitive wages any more, the pension might as well be tossed in the trash and you can only get 4 weeks vacation after 20 years.

I'll have 4 weeks in 3 more years at Aggreko, no pension but I will be in the profitsharing program. They are double the percentage match in the 401K compared to Ransome... and they threw in a brand new service truck that I am allowed to use for personal use

I have a feeling I will be towing the car to the track in a new 2500HD Silverado soon

Its nice to finally have something really go good for a change. Now I just have to hope that the job is just what they told me it would be

Last edited by Projectz28; 05-04-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:04 PM

will you still be working on heavy equipment? let me know if you want any side work in the near future. we are buying a couple pieces of used equipment from G&R. i didnt know guns and roses sold equipment!

Quick Reply: I quit my job!