LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

WTF.....why me???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 04:21 PM

WTF.....why me???

Ok guys, i have had to change my opti about 5-6 times now (i think, ive lost count) Here is the latist thing that has happend.

Today, i finnish up the opti install. I also installed new vent tubes for the opti because that is what i thought caused the car to eat up the opti's. Well i started the car and let it run for about 15 minutes at an idle. Then i drove it about 30 miles and i took it to the car wash. I was driving back to my friends house when it started doing that same **** it always does when the opti is about to go out agian. I barrely get it back to my friends house and open the hood. I take off the vent tube that runs from the opti to the driver side of the intake, after i take it off and plug the lines the car idles fine. I noticed the exhaust manifold burned alittle bit of the hose from where i placed it but it didnt burn a hole in the hose. So after i do all this i shut the hood and drive it around the block and the thing was ok, but a minute later it started doing the same **** it was doing with the vent hooked up. WHAT IS WRONG with my car??? I would like to be able to put another new opti on and use these new vents. The opti that is on it now is one that i tore apart and rebuildt (i guess you can call it a rebuild) all i did was get all the corotion stuff that was built up on the rotor and the prongs instide the opti and put it back together. Has anyone had this problem?? and what do i do to fix it?
Old 01-28-2003, 05:12 PM

Are you putting on a factory vacuum harness that has the vacuum reducer and backflow prevention valves in it? (little blue disc looking things)
Old 01-28-2003, 05:36 PM

Yes, i bought new hoses for the opti because i thought that was the problem. Only one vacum line has the valves on it. It runs from the opti to the vacum hose that is on the passanger side of teh car. It has once big valve that is about the size of a quarter and it has another valve up the line alittle further that is about the size of a shirt button or something. Thanks for the help Shoebox
Old 01-28-2003, 06:10 PM

...and they should be installed like this and the hose to the manifold like this and this.

Just trying to get a feel for what is going on.

I would be sure that air does flow in and out of the opti and no vacuum is building up inside it.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:14 PM

Rob=Shoebox????

THANK YOU SO MUCH

That answered some big problems i have been incontering. The vent to that runs from the opti to the intake (the one you have picture) on my car runs from the opti to a vacum line on the passanger side of the car. And the vacum line that you have picture that goes from the opti to the intake tube is the line that i have going from my opti to the intake. Hmmm i guess that is the reason that i have gone through so many darn opti sparks. I guess ill though one more on and reroute the air tubes to the right place. Thanks man..

Bobby
Old 01-28-2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by irocbob89
Rob=Shoebox????

THANK YOU SO MUCH

That answered some big problems i have been incontering. The vent to that runs from the opti to the intake (the one you have picture) on my car runs from the opti to a vacum line on the passanger side of the car. And the vacum line that you have picture that goes from the opti to the intake tube is the line that i have going from my opti to the intake. Hmmm i guess that is the reason that i have gone through so many darn opti sparks. I guess ill though one more on and reroute the air tubes to the right place. Thanks man..

Bobby
You had two vacuum sources. Your optis were imploding from the vacuum. I guess that means they were sealed well.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:15 PM

Hmm, i dont know how my first one lasted for so long. It lasted over 3k miles, all the others have not lasted anywhere close to that. Well the only problem i am having now is getting another new opti. Thanks for the help Rob..