LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

would u ever buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 04:13 PM

would u ever buy this car?

would you ever buy a car that has been modified this much?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=17
Old 03-07-2004, 04:18 PM

why not? i'd check it out first, of course....
Old 03-07-2004, 04:21 PM

I don't know 30k on the motor after the rebuild.If he has been pushing that car hard for thirty thousand miles and drag racing,which by his mods is probable....I don't know if I'd buy it or not without an extensive test drive and something signed from him.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:22 PM

If someone cares enough about their car to go to the trouble to mod it to make it work and look better they have probably taken WAY better care of it than the guy who beats it back and forth to work every day on worn out brakes and tires and changes the oil every couple years or so.
That's how I look at it anyway.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by DataChild
why not? i'd check it out first, of course....
I agree, I mean he can only beat on it so much, and these cars can take a beating. Just make sure the usual is good still. and their shouldnt be a problem. Give it a drive too. yo ucan tell lots from driving it.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:30 PM

If it looks and runs good, why not. If you want to buy one mod it similarly it would cost more, so it may save you a couple of bucks in the end
Old 03-07-2004, 11:43 PM

so what does a 350 become when you bore it .30 over?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:17 AM

Old 03-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Banned

Depends on the owner... Usually you are just buying someone elses problems..
Old 03-08-2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
Depends on the owner... Usually you are just buying someone elses problems..
not always true....

A lot of times people build things up and then sell them. I do it with computers everyday. I've sold systems for as much as that car. Sometimes they spend a bunch of money that they don't have and then realize it and need to get some of it back. They have babies or lose their job.

In other words, check it out. If it drives nice and he has all the receipts, then go for it. If I found that car when I was looking for a vehicle I would have gone for it for the price. I'm partial to 94's (best year )But I got lucky with my purchase. My car has given me no problems since I bought it, minus the common opti, but thats it and I have a lot of stuff done.

Good Luck with the search even if you pass that one up.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:30 AM

Has more money in mods than the asking price for the whole car.... so from that perspective I'd say it would be well worth the risk, esp if you were planning on building one up anyway.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:33 AM
jtk

make sure you check the car out well if you consider buying it. many modifyed cars are very messed up from improper modifications and hard use.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:39 AM

i kinda feel like that car was bought from the beggining to become a heavily modified car, because it was modified heavily early, was bought with an auto, and has no t-tops. i think i'll check it out and see how it runs. only thing that concerns me is this car going ot make a suitable daily driver or no?
Old 03-08-2004, 01:42 AM
jtk

for a car like that I would keep it in the garage under cover and take it out for fun, not that it seems unstreetable but because it seems like a nice ride, to nice to run to and from work with
Old 03-08-2004, 01:59 AM

It's not so much that a lot of modified cars that are for sale are messed up...... it's just that they require so much upkeep and maintenance that people get SICK of them.
I honestly think very few enthusiasts out there are trying to pawn off junk on another unsuspecting enthusiast. Perhaps I am just naive, but the car people I know wouldn't dream of doing that to anyone.

Basically, these people put tons of time, money, and effort into building the damn things, and every time they think they're almost finished something else comes up to prove..... they're never quite DONE. After a while, it's just not fun anymore, it's not worth the time or money anymore, ... or other priorities in life take over, ect.... and these poor bastards are dumping them for a fraction of the price they have invested.

Take that car for example... lets assume that EVERYTHING is 100% perfect...... but you'll still need a $2,300 rear end and a $400 drive shaft if you ever want to launch it. And as for launching it.... you're still going to need to spend another $600 on slicks and extra rims. So you want to take it to the track.... need to make sure you have all the safety gear and a suspension setup to make that baby hook........ and you'll wrap another $1,500 up in that before you know what hit you. Of course, you'll want tuning software, gauges, and a scan tool so you'll know what the hell it's doing.... so add another grand to the bill.

This stuff snowballs.
Things will break. A lot.
These cars are never "done."

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it's a good deal based on how much TIME and MONEY it would require to duplicate that setup.... but Don't buy one or build one thinking it's going to be a 100% trouble free daily driver the whole time you own it. Things WILL come up.

If you don't know how to fix it, I'd skip it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Teek; 03-08-2004 at 02:02 AM.

Quick Reply: would u ever buy this car?