LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Won't Start...opti???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 07:38 PM

Won't Start...opti???

Just recently made a post about my car missing up top. It would start fine everytime, idle fine, and only miss on occassion. I checked the wire from the opti the coil and it looked kinda bad. I figured I would try to change that along with the coil when I got the chance. Anyway, to today, I went to start my car and it sputtered a bit then died. Won't start at all now. It only has 63k on it and I will be upset if it is indeed the opti. Could the coil being bad cause it to not start? I just want some cheap easy things to try first before I jump to the conclusion that it's the opti. Any advice on where to start and what to do? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:54 PM

You could have caused the coil wire to fail when you pulled it off to check it (stressed it). The stock ones are known to fail early.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else? I need help asap please.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:25 PM

Is the SES light on?
Are you getting any codes?
Get a scanner or get it scanned at Advance, and see if you can pinpoint the miss.

Try replacing the coil wire you just pulled, if it's cooked looking, it's probably toast.

I'm doing the same rundown as you right now, and I'm trying to eliminate the cheaper stuff before I get into the expensive stuff like an opti replacement.

My firebird is at 117k and most of the electrical stuff under the hood is getting that standard baked black plastic look to it.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by doug1105
Is the SES light on?
Are you getting any codes?
Get a scanner or get it scanned at Advance, and see if you can pinpoint the miss.

Try replacing the coil wire you just pulled, if it's cooked looking, it's probably toast.

I'm doing the same rundown as you right now, and I'm trying to eliminate the cheaper stuff before I get into the expensive stuff like an opti replacement.

My firebird is at 117k and most of the electrical stuff under the hood is getting that standard baked black plastic look to it.
I would get a randon SES light every now and then but very rarely. It would go off if I shut the car down and restarted it though. That happened well before the miss though.

I would get it scanned but it won't start at all and it's sitting at my GF's house which is over an hour away from me. I am going to go change the coil this week and see if that is it.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:24 AM

ok guys...i just done this .... i got connections to the GM electrical book.... heres what you do to check the opti... on the left side of the intake where the wires running from the opti connects to the wires from the wiring harness.. at that connection theres 4 wires. Theres a high and low res pulse wire A and B i think one is pinkish and black and the other is red ((not sure))..... anywayz BASICALLY u turn the key on take a voltmeter on dc and test the wires in the connecter coming from the wiring harness TWO of them the Low and high Ones are supposed to register exactly 0.4 or 0.5 volts!! if they register 4.6 or higher ( then u got a Bad PCM) test all of them and write it down then connect it there and unplug it from the opti, check it on the opti end,,,, if u get the same thing to each of the wires as u got on the intake then that wiring connecter is good if not u got to buy that little wire running to the intake and opti..... Im at school now, try this maybe it will help theres other things u can do but i cant remember it off my head, ill get the book tonight and fill u in 2mor! Hope u can understand this and it helps.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:14 PM

My car died in identicle fashion...going down the road, then it wouldnt start. My coil wire fell off...yeah notoriously known to fail. It could be your coil though. It could be a number of small, inexpensive things. If you run out of things to check, I recommend getting is diagnosed at a dealership. 40 dollars well spent. no questions after that. Sensors, connections... its kinda frustrating to me.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:22 PM

first check that coil wire
just out of curiosity when you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump prime???
what your describing sounds fuel related to me
up top miss when it runs out of fuel and maybe the pump just quit on you and now it wont start
id check that
Old 11-28-2006, 03:57 PM

It needs fuel and spark to run. Try some starting fluid, if it runs then its a fuel problem. If not then try your coil and wire. If those are good then its a bad opti. Mine died at 130k.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:43 PM

Fuel pump primes fine. I tried starter fluid and nothing. I'm pretty sure it's spark related. I will try changing the coil and see. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:22 PM

Coil can be tested without throwing money at it. Why don't you see if you have spark at the coil and if it has voltage and ground and if the ICM has the AC signal going to it on the white wire when it cranks.