LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Will Nitto's be enough for this???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 02:22 PM

Will Nitto's be enough for this???

I've got the car in the sig. and I've got a few more things going in as we speak. Installed a Vig. 3000rpm stall. Already I can hardly get traction, even if I try to take it easy then jump on it. That stall really woke the car up. I've got a Trans-Go and new rear with 3.42's going in within the next week. Whenever I get time. Jet Hot LT's should be installed within' the next month after I find out which Y-pipe I'm getting and as long as I get it.
I know Nitto's should hold up to the stall and my current mods, but with the rest of the mods going in do you think I'll be able to get traction. Obviously I don't want them to hook so hard I turn my rear into hamburger but I want to make sure I can hook enough to get some good times out of it before the end of this year. This winter hopefully I can get the cash to get a stronger rear, then it shouldn't be an issue if I get much stickier tires.
So I guess my question is, will they give me enough traction improvement to make me happy? Or will they atleast give me enough to be able to hook better than what I have now? I have Kumho Ecsta Stanza's 245/50R16. Up until recently they hooked up pretty good on the street.....not anymore. I don't want to go out and spend money on better tires just to continue a smoke show everytime I'm all over the throttle.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Old 09-24-2003, 02:27 PM

We have simlilar drivetrain components i noticed.

I plan with going with a set of BFG drag radials, because from what I have seen, they hook a little better than Nittos, especially on the street.

My original plan was to go with some E.T. Streets, but I fear for my rear-ends sake when i head up to the track.

a set of 255/50 R16 BFG drag radials should do the trick.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:12 PM

Do you have similar traction problems right now? If not what kind of tires are you using? Also if BFG's are better on the street are Nitto's better at the track? If I'm a good boy I shouldn't be trying to race too much on the street. Of course I'm sure there will be the occasional pedal stomp but nothing major. I hope I can keep my composure enough to take it relatively easy on the street. But I want to run hard at the track and I don't want to be spinning half the track trying to do it.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 03:19 PM

they'll work but you'd pull better times w/ the ets
Old 09-24-2003, 03:23 PM

Will ET Streets shatter my rear though? I know all the stories that some people run 11's on stock rear and some people shatter theirs on the first run with a bone stock car. So I know that is always a factor. But I don't want to be treading on thin ice if I don't have to be. My car is an auto so there's no 5k drops or anything, but I do have a 3000 stall so that'll do something.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Jay-Roll
Do you have similar traction problems right now? If not what kind of tires are you using? Also if BFG's are better on the street are Nitto's better at the track? If I'm a good boy I shouldn't be trying to race too much on the street. Of course I'm sure there will be the occasional pedal stomp but nothing major. I hope I can keep my composure enough to take it relatively easy on the street. But I want to run hard at the track and I don't want to be spinning half the track trying to do it.
I have HUGE traction problems right now. Don't forget, I also have a hot cam kit. I am currently using Dunlop 5000 sport comps. These tires were great before i got my stall, and i was cutting consistant 2.0 60 foot times at the track. The Stall REALLY brought my car to life too.

I plan on going with BFG drag radials next race season.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:43 PM

With the bolt-ons the Nitto's will hook as well as you need. I have the same mods, but with a 3200 stall and 3.73 gear, and on motor my Nitto DR's will almost dead hook on a good track, on 17 in. wheels at 16-18psi. On motor mid-low 1.7 60' ,spraying I pulled a 1.62 60', good enough for me on a tire i can get 10-12k miles out of. They hook even better on 16' wheels. ET streets are rockin, but if you drive the car or street race, DR's
Old 09-24-2003, 05:39 PM

From my experience and searching the BFG drag radials seem to hook up better on the street and at the track than the Nittos. Granted the Nittos will last a little longer and are better in the rain, but if you have drag radials on your car you shouldn't see the rain. Any drag radial will suck in the rain, because they are not meant for the rain. I would get some BFG's if you want a tire that will hook great.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:04 PM
Banned

drag radials are a WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! get some et street's! they wont blow your rear anymore than drag radials will... you can raise the pressure in the et streets to make them spin a little if you want... i've pulled 1.4's on my 10 BOLT with et street's and my rear is still holding don't know for how much longer but it's holding
Old 09-24-2003, 06:52 PM

You have a greater risk of breaking your rear end with et streets. If you plan on getting a set of street tires then go with drag radials. They work great at the track too. I wouldn't get a set of et streets unless you want to replace rear ends often. Drag radials will suffice untill you start to get lots of hp.