LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Wicked hissing sound under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 09:23 PM

Wicked hissing sound under the hood

My buddy has a 95 Camaro. It has been sputtering and missing and all that shiznit. I changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and the air filter. Then the fuel pump crapped out. Pulled the rear-end and the tank to switch the pump. Runs a whole lot better than before. In all actuallity, it is night and day, runs a ton better. So, here is the kicker...

Now the car has a wicked NASTY rattle under the passenger seat. Sounds like the cat shield. I crawled under there, and all is solid. It rattles like crazy at the top of 2nd gear, and whenever you slow down and come to a stop with the car in gear and your foot on the break. Exhaust?

Number 2...The car has a horrendous hissing noise under the hood... around the inake somewhere. I look to one side of the intake and it sounds like its coming from the other side, and vise versa. It sounds almost like it is sucking air somewhere. Almost like its at the back of the intake. The car has about 122,000 miles on it so its the beginning of nickle and dime time.

Any help you could lend is a huge help. He is on an extremely tight budget, so I am trying to do as much for him as I possibly can.

Thanks a ton in advance.
JB

Last edited by TheBiz; 03-15-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:36 PM

I haven't checked the air pump, but I have checked everything else. So I know its not on the intake track somewhere. Could the schrader valve for the fuel system pressure release go bad? Never heard of that happening, but I'm guessing it could.

As far as the rattles, I am stumped. Last night it was SOLID as a rock. Now, 12 hours later rattles like mustang at the 200 foot mark. I got nothing!

Anything else?
JB