LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Why is the Lingenfelter SuperTube so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 03:01 PM

Question Why is the Lingenfelter SuperTube so cheap?

I have been looking at different CAI's for a while and the Supertube seems to fit the bill. But why is it so cheap compared to the SLP, K&N, Morso, and AS&M CAI's? This thing has to flow better than the G2 CAI right? Cause they are priced about the same.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 PM

Re: Why is the Lingenfelter SuperTube so cheap?

Lingenfelter doesn't have to rapped people on the price of CAI, they make plenty on rich guys buying their Vettes. I have one, and in my opinion its just as good as any other one on the market, if not better! It does infact have the largest K&N filter. If you think about it, it is just molded plastic and a filter. How much should it cost? Plus dyno proven gains of 12rwhp on a stock LT1 and 25 rwhp on a stroker. Get the Supertube, its great, the gains were amazing, even my g/f could tell the difference, but maybe it was because she bought it?

-Dustin-
Old 01-02-2005, 03:56 PM

I have heard that the LPE CAI is inferior to others on the market. Any truth to that? Do you have a link to any dyno sheets proving the Lingenfelter CAI's output? Just interested.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:04 PM

All CAIs are generally the same, it's all about looks. Some brands you are just buying the name. You won't feel any difference from a CAI, it's in your head. You will hear a difference since under the hood will sound like a vacuum.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:08 PM

Probley because they have been available for so long. I got mine 10 years ago and it was SUPER EXPENSIVE!! They must have lowered their price when the competition heated up.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:08 PM

Is there any CAI that is known for sounding less "like a vacuum cleaner under the hood?"
Old 01-02-2005, 04:14 PM

I bought the LPE also, I've had the K&N, and an SLP. I'm really happy with the LPE, it has a great price, and performance and fit is good.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kataklysm
You won't feel any difference from a CAI, it's in your head.
PLease don't listen to this guy. You will see gains around 10-15 hp.

-Shannon
Old 01-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Nomad is right, some people just dont drive or are observant enough to feel differences in their engines.

The LPE is not inferior if anything its superior. Call Lingenfelter if you want sheets or something, but they state it on their site. I dont doubt them, they are Chevrolet 350 experts.

Many older posts have shown gains of up to 3 tenths from the Supertube. I havent seen anything close to that from other CAI's.

-Dustin-

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 01-02-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:50 PM

I think he meant from Cai to Cai you wont notice a difference. But the stock is so restrictive it is not hard to improve on that.

Tim
Old 01-02-2005, 05:23 PM

I have a LPE, I like it alot looks good, fits good, and it definately improves air flow.

Brian
Old 01-02-2005, 05:46 PM

I have had the LPE CAI since 1995. Its definitely not inferior in any way. I keep in fairly close contact with the guys at LPE and I think that the reason that they have lowered the price is that they are big time into the LS1 and LS2 engines now. They are doing no new R&D on the LT1 stuff. You probably won't see too many price reductions with their LS1-2 stuff anytime soon, however. If you have any dyno questions, etc. call Ed at LPE 260-724-2552 ext. 1002...

Side note: LPE 3 1/2" aluminum driveshafts are now $249.99...another GREAT deal. Had mine for 10 years, same u-joints, no problems....
--Alan
Old 01-03-2005, 12:24 AM

i've had K&n, Custom made, SLP, and Moroso. i liked the SLP most just because of the look, and i knew that i would soon be going to a 383. the SLP has the largest mouth opening at 3 & 1/4"...which is immediately restricted by the MAF...and has the greatest potential for airflow, is made of stainless steel, can be powdercoated black or has a chrome finish, has 2 large round filters instead of one cone, and fits bot ABS and non-ABS model cars. only the custom will fit ABS cars, and that's because the user makes it to fit his car out of spare parts.

the good thing about the K&N and the Moroso, and apparently the LPE units too, is they are made of plastic and are very light. the SLP unit weighs a good 15-20 pounds with the filters on, and it's at the very front of the car...bad idea.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:01 AM

You will tell the difference.........i still remember the first night with my CAI I was happy as can be--the sound it makes sounds cool too.....it turned into a very long journey and will continue....it will consume your life......GET OUT NOW!!!!.........lol.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:05 AM

Yea SLP has a good unit. But those 2 filters on SLP's unit can be a pain to put on though, since the filters have to go on from the bottom. It's really not hard, but sometimes it feels that way.....plus to get them at the slant they are suppose to be--so they actually fit and don't smash into each other in the center.

Quick Reply: Why is the Lingenfelter SuperTube so cheap?