LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Why cant I just....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 04:55 PM

Why cant I just....

I am new here and from some of the posts I have read I think I will really enjoy my self. My name is Dan I drive a '94 Z28 6speed and I was wondering:

WHY CANT I JUST make my own "performance intake system"? Is it really that hard? The only difference I have seen on the $200 systems is that the piping is larger and it runs farther down.

What is the difference between an aftermarket "performance" MAF and the stock one I have now?

Why cant I just lop 2" off my shifter? Why do I need to go out and shell out $200 for a B&M ripper shifter? What is the difference?

I know these questions are a little NOOBish but I really am mechanically inclined. I was just wondering "WHY I CANT JUST". Thanx for any help I can get.

-Dan
I really am a nice knowledgeable guy. REALLY I AM
Old 12-21-2003, 05:03 PM

You can do all that... Why? I have no idea. Will it perform the same? No. Will it be close? Probably.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:10 PM

Beautiful man. That is about what I was looking for. Thanx for the help so quickly. But I have a feeling not everybody agrees. I would like to get some not quit so constructive criticism as well. Anybody have some? Something along the lines of:

"What the *** are you thinking? Of course it wont work. You have to have this and that and this done for it to be even remotely a possiblity." but not quite so harsh. Thanx again.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:21 PM

you can make your own CAI. do a search for instrucitons

your stock MAF is fine until you are making gobs of power

try and chop off some of your shifter and see how it works for you. My friend did it on his rx7. all thats left is basically the shift ****
Old 12-21-2003, 05:22 PM

Here's what else I can tell you.

Shifter: If cut, you may fall into problems of it not shifting right. I'm not sure, maybe aftermarket shifters have a bend in them to remain suitable for driving and quicker shifting.

MAF: Aftermarkets are probably bigger and are descreened. Probably say something along the lines of "High-flow" or something. I wouldn't buy into that crap myself.

Intake: Yes people have made their own homemade intakes. They just don't look all that good and haven't really been proven if you will. Aftermarkets are designed to fit in (well, are supposed to anyways). They look much better and you'll get about all the same gains from all 20 of them.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:37 PM

So far so good. Its good to get knowlegeable responses. Thnx that should answer THOSE questions for now.

-Dan
I am a little off the wall sometimes.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:50 PM

stock shifter compaired to the pro 5.0 shifter isnt even a close comparison

the BEST mod i have done to my car is the pro 5.0

Its AMAZING it makes driving so much more fun
all the shifts go RIGHT in with out hesatation, lets you know its in gear and youll probly NEVER ever miss 3rd gear.. the shifting mechinism is awesome.. I also have a short stick on it and a MBA ball (short ball) but aside from the short throw, the shifter is just way better

i had the stock lenght stick on my pro 5.0 and i still felt a world of difference

As far as the CAI n stuff homemade will work fine, and if u cant afford the shifter at the moment im sure making it shorter wont hurt, but the pro 5.0 is DEFFINITLY a worth while investment