LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What's your favorite windshield wiper blade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 08:40 AM

What's your favorite windshield wiper blade?

Sad to say, I've had the stock wipers on the car since I bought it in '97. They just aren't cutting it anymore.

Do you guys recommend buying a stock replacement, or an aftermarket blade?

A little paint has come off the blade arm(the part that the blade slides into) so I would like to replace the whole arm/blade.

Is it just best to go with the original OEM? or have you found something better.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 09-18-2003, 08:54 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about what brands of wiper blades you use. I used ANCOs because that's what AutoZone had. All of them are going to be pretty much the same. It gets water off your windshield, its not too scientific, and I don't think you're goint to drop .1 in the 1/4 because of your blades.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:55 AM

Cool, I have to do the same thing because of the paint chipping. What is a set of arms/blades? Like $30 or so?
Old 09-18-2003, 08:59 AM

Thanks.

The Anco's are just the rubber blades right. Not the assembly? Am I correct? I'll just paint the assembly then.

What sizes do I need. One's a 21 right? Do you know the other?

Dan
Old 09-18-2003, 09:15 AM

Anco's.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by notstock4long
Cool, I have to do the same thing because of the paint chipping. What is a set of arms/blades? Like $30 or so?
be careful with ANCO's full replacement setup. I put some one last week and on the passenger side when the blade swiped on the high side it didn't touch the bottom. It's an engineering design flaw from ANCO. So I put my stockers back on and am still looking for 24" ANCO narrow refills. They make the best blade IMO, but they have a sucky design for the replacement setup.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Brettinator
be careful with ANCO's full replacement setup. I put some one last week and on the passenger side when the blade swiped on the high side it didn't touch the bottom. It's an engineering design flaw from ANCO. So I put my stockers back on and am still looking for 24" ANCO narrow refills. They make the best blade IMO, but they have a sucky design for the replacement setup.
I used the full replacement setup and I haven't had any problems. Its been on for about 2 years now, but my car is stored during the winter months. Is it possible yours could have frozen or warped, especially if there was a lot of heavy snow on yours?
Old 09-18-2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by notstock4long
If you mean the arm that attaches to the car, those run about $60/each! Stupid GM and it's high parts pricing.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by PatriotTA
I used the full replacement setup and I haven't had any problems. Its been on for about 2 years now, but my car is stored during the winter months. Is it possible yours could have frozen or warped, especially if there was a lot of heavy snow on yours?
you misunderstood I think. My GM stockers are just fine, I only needed ANCO refills but they were out at the time and only had the full wiper-arm w/blade replacement which when operating did not make full window/blade contact. I put my GMs back on and am still waiting for ANCO 24" blade refills to come in.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:54 AM

I have Bosch's on my cars, and I love em. They work great, theyre quiet, and they seem to last quite a while. I think they go for around 15 bucks per side, but that includes the carrier thing instead of just a refill.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:06 PM

I bought the anco blades and arms and they suck..... first of all there's about a 1'x1' area on the passenger side that is like a "high spot" on the blades, that it just skips over and does not touch at all. So its always dirty there...2nd the pass. wiper blide is longer then it should be and goes past the winshield where it begans to curve rapidly and hangs about an inch in the air beacuse of the curve......other than that the anco are great lol

It seems the ppl who like them have not bought the full replacement like I have, so if you do get anco's make sure you just get the blades.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Blue96z28
I bought the anco blades and arms and they suck..... first of all there's about a 1'x1' area on the passenger side that is like a "high spot" on the blades, that it just skips over and does not touch at all. So its always dirty there...2nd the pass. wiper blide is longer then it should be and goes past the winshield where it begans to curve rapidly and hangs about an inch in the air beacuse of the curve......other than that the anco are great lol

It seems the ppl who like them have not bought the full replacement like I have, so if you do get anco's make sure you just get the blades.
LOL yeah I mentioned the same thing earlier in this post, same exact side, it's a defect in design, retard engineers who don't have a clue, it's called Quality Control in design prior a manufacturing decision. I had the guy from auto parts who sold thme to me ...or try to, take it off and put mine back on.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:10 PM

I have Boschs and now some regular ones I bought from Walmart. Actually my dad bought the Bosch for the Trans Am a few years ago, but they never ever wipe that bottom corner on the driver side and nether do the ones from walmart.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:52 PM

Well, I went to Walmart during lunch. First I bought the Anco assembly but it didn't fit right. I don't think the Anco's are made for 93-97 f-bodies. They weren't recommended in the catolog, but they were for the 98+ f-bodies. I tried them and they didn't fit the arm connector right.

We use 24" blades by the way.

So I then bought just the 24" rubber replacement parts that they had. I forgot the brand, but it was the type B, which were the 24 inchers. I had to pull the old rubber pieces out, and replace them with the new rubber blades. They work AWESOME, at least so far. They are silent, and cleaned every inch. Keep the stock assembly and just replace the rubber part. Worked great for me.

I just wish I would have done it sooner. It was so easy. You do have to take off the wiper assembly to do this, but it's just the metal part that the rubber blade slides into, not the whole wiper arm. You then remove the rubber blade. It will be held in place at one end by dimples in the rubber. Just pull it hard enough and it will slide out. The rubber blade will have two metal pieces that hold it in place on each side. Take those off the old blade and place them on the new blade and slide it back in place. Done.

Dan

Last edited by stereomandan; 09-18-2003 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:11 PM

My ancos are working just fine now that I re-engineered the suckers. You take that friggin metal part that holds the wiper blande.. and little by little you bend the tip area... until it matches the windshild curvature... Custom made job.

Then they make noise... the rubber its not as good as the OEM. Mine began to make noise from the day I put them on... the old OEM never made noise.. the rubber part finally gave up and broke off its own base.. because the OEM were expensive I put the ancos on.. they suck as compared to the OEMs

Marvin

Quick Reply: What's your favorite windshield wiper blade?