LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

whats the point of a coil on plug conversion?

Old 10-06-2004, 09:52 PM

whats the point of a coil on plug conversion?

I was wondering what the point of a coil on plug ignition coversion on a lt1 was. are there any benifits and if so is it worth the money?
how much is the whole setup going to be at the end? and will this restrict future modifications such as nitrous or a supercharger?
also does anyone know what CNP stands for?
thanks
Old 10-06-2004, 11:12 PM

Re: whats the point of a coil on plug conversion?

Some people have bad luck with optis... and some wild systems (TT, S/C) that might spin chaotic rpms might have issues with optis?? Otherwise I dont see a point in blowing that kind of money from a Cam + bolt standpoint. Just my perspective...
Old 10-07-2004, 12:01 AM

It is a good alternative to an opti replacement also. If and when my opti goes i will be doing a delteq or similar.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zerosheaven
I was wondering what the point of a coil on plug ignition coversion on a lt1 was.
To set the record straight, coil on plug (COP) is usually found on import, plug through valve cover, hemi or more common pent roof combustion chamber heads. The LTx and LSx setups, on which the LTx version is based, are NOT COP, the are CNP (coil near plug).

Are there any benefits and if so is it worth the money?

The benefit is more and/or stronger spark, due to more coil saturation time. On a CNP setup, the coil fires 1/8 the time. On a near stock ignition requirement, no benefit in regards to a more complete combustion process, ie more output or mileage. Major benefit in that case is smoother idle and low speed operation. I am referring to the LSx ignition in this case, which is NOT a DIS or waste spark setup.

...and will this restrict future modifications such as nitrous or a supercharger?

IF a superior spark ignition system is necessary, a way is found to make room.

Last edited by arnie; 10-07-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:26 PM

I was just talking to the techs at LPE about the LTCC conversion which uses an interface box and LS1 coils and relegates the opti to just a cap and rotor. I was told that the opti loses tremendous spark over 4500rpm. Adding a CD ignition (MSD, etc) can hurt the unit over time, actually enhance arcing and actually burning inside the cap, even burn through the metal of the opti-spark distributor base. I changed my cap and rotor last year (stupid, I know I should've just done the whole thing) and my rotor and cap were charred beyond belief, 8 years of a CD ignition amplifier..

The LTCC kit eliminates all of the above, produces a good hot spark throughout the entire rpm range, and each spak plug wire is only around 12" long so you have way less resistance in each wire. Sounds like a good idea to me. The only drawback is cost...usually around $700 once you get all the parts, but it would appear that it pays for itself the first time you have to replace a broken opti and do a plug wire change. Its one less thing to worry about in the long run...
--Alan