LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Whats Best Exhaust?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 01:43 AM

Whats Best Exhaust?!?!

i need real answers here please, dont be predjuduice because of what you have:

i need what you think best exhaust system is, and why, pros and cons, anything that will help me pick out what system i want.

ps: i wanna know if its only gonna sound really good when i gas it, or if it is just a growling machine
Old 07-18-2003, 01:48 AM

From what I've heard the hooker system is a pretty good system. I plan to order it pretty soon. There are sound clips floating around in the forum. Personally I think it sounds good. It's also pretty easy on the wallet.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:59 AM

Well jp2005 that is not a very good question if you don't want people to be bias on. There is no definate answer unless somebody test every single setup on the same car. Also everybody preference on sound is difference. Some people like a more exotic note, some like a really deep muscle type of sound, and some like refined, and some just want it very loud. For the price i would say hooker. It performs great. That is why i got mine. I like it a lot, and am very pleased with it. But the top ones i would have to say would either be GMMG, Corsa, B&B triflow, and Borla. But i have not personally heard either of these. They all have different sounds to them. I like the looks of the Corsa the best. Try to listen to all of them if you can on a somewhat stockish car. So you can decide for yourself. As for performance there will probably be a 2-3 hp difference from most of the systems.

Last edited by drewstealth; 07-18-2003 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:45 AM

This is a very biased subject. I personally have the Borla and am very happy. Since 1 pipe goes through the muffler and the other pipe is open with a restrictor plate you have a lot of adjustment. There is a couple different size restrictor plates that come with the exhaust allowing you to adjust the tones of it as well as the performance so you can kind of adjust it to your liking. This was my selling point due to the fact that I can leave the restrictor plate out and run 1 of the pipes as a 3" open giving better sound and performance. It sounds nice and loud while excelerating, but very quite while just cruising down the street. I have a 6-speed though and can drop the RPMs down low if your car is a auto it will probably have a constant growl as you drive it. Not that that is bad. Downside is that you will have to drop a cool $750 just for a catback system. But it was well worth it. I have heard that the Loudmouth sounds very nice for the $$$, but if you plan on going any further with your exhaust ie.. headers and either gutting or replacing the cats with a high flow cat that the Loudmouth gets way to loud for the street. That is unless you enjoy talking to cops. Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:53 AM

I have tested many diff exhaust systems. Here is they are in order of best flowing to worst. best is a cutout, then SLP 20tl, Borla Catback, Corsa and hooker, Flowmaster is last after any other ones but the SLP2OTL is only 2-3 HP shy of a cutout. Oh and if you want 4" all the way or true duals with borla XR1s those are at the top too
Old 07-18-2003, 04:00 AM

I would steer clear of Flowmaster. I have had nothing but problems with mine!! !! It rattles, clangs, leaks, and doesn't fit for $h!t. I have the American thunder catback, with dual 2.5" tails. Though it does sound pretty cool when your shiftin at 6000.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:03 AM

I will back up the SLP 2 O(n) T(he) L(eft). This particular exhaust has a deep tone and sounds great while giving it some gas. Not to expensive either.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:10 AM

I like the DO A SEARCH CATBACK, lol! This is posted at least once or twice a week, so there are plenty of em if you search. I'm only saying this because IMO you hardly ever get anything but personal opinion out of these. My advice, find someone near you and hear them in real time......clips are nice, but still inaccurate to a degree. When I listened to clips I liked the loudmouth but when I heard it in person it was terrible. I settled on the GMMG based on the sound clip (a gamble, for sure, but NO ONE had one local or in state at all) and I was doubly impressed when I installed.
Good luck in your search!
Brian