LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What Tranny mods should be done for a H/S Tourqe converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 08:19 AM

What Tranny mods should be done for a H/S Tourqe converter

I had a B&M Holeshot 3000 TC in my 93. It ate the original Tranny, then it kept eating 2nd and 3rd gear. The original tranny was rebuilt 3 times, all with the B&M tc in it, all in a year span. Now I have a GM Performance Parts Tranny with 1800 TC (mostly cause the 3 year warr) and I'm wondering if it's safe to put the 3000 back in. I'm thinking the original rebuilders didn't do their job so well, but I don't want to go through another rebuild. The GM one has been rebuilt 2 times since March, and it's at the dealer getting worked on again right now. It never even saw the 3000 TC. What needs to be done in order to run a high RPM TC?
This car is mainly just driven a couple miles to work, cruise on the weekends and not raced.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:40 AM

You put a 3000 stall in it and it is "not raced"
RIIIIIGHT.
Sounds like something else is wrong if you keep eating trannies like that.
Not sure what it might be but if the car is eating the new GM tranny and it never saw the Holeshot then something else is wrong.
Just a thought but make sure your flywheel is not on crooked, or something else out of alignment.
Does the car vibrate excessively? Hook up a temp guage to the tranny and see how hot it is getting.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:28 PM

I just like getting from stop light to stop light like quick.
I'm stationed in Southern Maryland so it's kinda hard getting the right SMIB to do the work right. I'm thinking it was faulty maint. Everything else seems to run fine. Oh, the GM tranny was rebuilt once cause it was dead on original install. My mistake. Anyways No Vib's. Flywheel is good. (i replaced the starter 2 weeks ago) I'm just wondering what should be in the tranny to properly operate with a 3000 rpm stall.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:19 PM

I didn't see a tranny cooler listed in any of those posts... a good tranny cooler is a MUST when using any aftermarket torque converter.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:45 PM

The lines runing to the tranny cooler section if the radiator are inadequate? I've been thinking of getting a combo oil/tranny cooler.

Are there any internals that need changed? It's in the shop now getting warrenty work. It seems the last time GM had it opened they failed to tourge everything. So far they found the Aux. valvebody and checkballs lying in the bottom of the pan. The tranny has extra wide kevlar bands right now. I just don't want it broken again.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:25 AM

You really need to run an aftermarket cooler in line with the one in the radiator. Its easy to install and helps alot to keep heat down which is a big problem with high stall TC.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:43 AM

Even on a stock trans, a cooler is seriously cheap insurance. With a 3k stall, no doubt about it - slap on on that bad boy.

Another thing that'll help longevity is a shift kit. I've had one trans shop after another recommend them with higher stalls. A firmer (quicker) shift means less time your trans is soaking up power (building up heat, wearing out quicker).

As for B&M converters, they seem to have a bad rep amongst the f-body community. I have no idea why the ones for our cars don't seem to work out worth a crap, but I've seen several folks on here who've had bad experiences with them.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:26 AM

Question

Thanks for the suggestions. After installing the Sub Frame Conectors the tranny cooler will go in next.

So nothing else needs to be done to the inside of the tranny? You could put in a big TC into a stock tranny with no other problems beside heat buildup?