LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related
View Poll Results: What solved your hesitation problem?
New Opti
34.62%
New or Cleaned Injectors
0%
New Plugs/Wires
23.08%
New O2s
11.54%
Other
42.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

What Solved Your <2000 RPM hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 04:55 PM

What Solved Your <2000 RPM hesitation?

This is for all those who have fixed their <2000 RPM hesitation. I have the problem and I haven't tried anything yet, I just wanted to get an idea of where to start. I realize not everyone solved theirs the same way, but I just want to kind of play the odds.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:20 PM

EGR valve personally...try unplugging the vacuum line at the EGR valve and see if it goes away.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:21 PM

i don't know if you mean hesitation or lunging effect. for the lunging, most commonly it is either egr valve or o2 sensors. but i have heard it could possibly be the lt1 knock module and opti. i cleaned my egr valve and it seemed to help but i will be replacing the o2's in a week or two and i will give you the results. if the o2's are old, i would change them anyways. also, it doesn't cost anything to clean the egr valve besides a can of intake cleaner.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:26 PM

Thumbs up

Well,
I checked my vacuum
got a new intake elbow (actually made things worse)

then

I changed the stock plugs & wires to Splitfire Triple Plats and MSD 8.5 wires. The second the car warmed up and didn't stumble, hesitate, etc etc etc - I knew I had done the right upgrade at the right time.

CCRJON
Old 02-22-2003, 05:27 PM

I bought new O2s which I haven't installed yet. I will try the EGR thing. My car has the hesitation, not the lunging... it's like a stuttering.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:43 PM

I fixed mine be seperating the igntion module from the front of the LH cylinder head. I also applied a fresh layer of heat-sink compound between the ignition module and the bracket it bolts onto.

Apparently the ignition module was getting too hot, that why it only acted up after driving the car for a while. Since then its been fine.

Waz
Old 02-22-2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Grease
I fixed mine be seperating the igntion module from the front of the LH cylinder head. I also applied a fresh layer of heat-sink compound between the ignition module and the bracket it bolts onto.

Apparently the ignition module was getting too hot, that why it only acted up after driving the car for a while. Since then its been fine.

Waz
How long did it take after start up for the ignition module to start messing up? Mine takes as little as like 3-5 minutes or about a mile and a half of driving after a stone cold start up.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:06 PM

Usually 5 to 10 minutes. This was in the summer when it was already hot to begin with. It would get really bad in traffic.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:36 PM

Couple more questions for Grease...

Did you replace any other parts or did you just relocate the ignition module?

Where do you get heat sink compound?
Old 02-22-2003, 09:24 PM

I replaced all of the obvious things trying to fix my problem, but none of them worked. I had a few slight exhaust leaks comming from burnt header gaskets, so I replaced them. That fixed my problem! I was supprised, and I killed two birds with one stone!! Sounds like you have a different problem than I did though. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:38 PM

Re: What Solved Your <2000 RPM hesitation?

Originally posted by Maine_LT1
This is for all those who have fixed their <2000 RPM hesitation. I have the problem and I haven't tried anything yet, I just wanted to get an idea of where to start. I realize not everyone solved theirs the same way, but I just want to kind of play the odds.
did the hestitation happen only when the car is hot?? because mine is doing that......on my when my car is hot. it will do some crazy stuff, like if you press it at WOT, it will launch hard for a second or two, then it has no power for about another second or two, then the power came back (WTF)....i hope it's the plugs/wires or the O2, because Opti's cost is damn expensive
Old 02-22-2003, 10:52 PM

Re: Couple more questions for Grease...

Originally posted by Maine_LT1
Did you replace any other parts or did you just relocate the ignition module?

Where do you get heat sink compound?

What I did was I removed it and reinstalled it with longer bolts and used plastic spacers between the bracket and the head so the bracket is about 1/2" away from the head but still in the same general location. As for the heat-sink compound I used what was lying around at work in the shop. I'm pretty sure you could buy some from Radio Shack or Autozone for a very low price.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by magius231
EGR valve personally...try unplugging the vacuum line at the EGR valve and see if it goes away.
I tried unplugging the vacuum line today, no luck, the car behaved the exact same way.

It also seemed to do it very soon after startup, and it's about 25 degrees outside here today, so I am doubting whether it is heat related.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:48 AM

I finally got rid of mine (ADD alert, long story)

I've been through so much crap trying to rid my car of this problem, it's been a year total. These are the things that I did and they all collectively helped out towards the end result. They are grouped into phases. First phase was the tune up which was coil, coil wire, spark plugs and wires, opti, and ignition module. This made a big improvement but a few weeks later it came back (arrggghhh). Then I tried the PCV valve and then the O2's, this made the largest improvement of all, the car ran well for months. Then it came back again. Each time mind you, the problem felt the same but it really wasn't the same issue so yours could be any one of these. Well I went through a few phases where I was just pissed off with the car and I wanted to get rid of it, but thanks to the crappy market for Camaros I just wouldn't be able to sell it for anything attractive so I kept it. I took it to so many places and wasted my money for them to tell me that it was my cold air induction and other crap like that, just a waste of time. Then I got orders to deploy again so here I am sitting in the desert right now with my wife driving the car that doesn't work all that well. So finally I told my wife to take it over to Formatos fasterproms www.fasterproms.com and he had one of his guys Greg look over the car. He finds the problem immediately and he's sure of it, he replaces the TCC lock-up unit in the tranny and at a great price too. The place is great and the service there is top notch from what my wife tell me. It's good to know that when I'm out here sitting in the sandbox that there is a place that I can trust. The car drives better than it ever did, the wife is happy, life is good. And I was like, Emilioooooooo, hehe.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:13 AM

What solved my prob after plugs/wires/O2s/EGR!/AIR!/1LE intake elbow/IAC sensor and anything else I missed was the adjustment screw on the TB...hada open her up a little more at idle and now the surguring/stalling is gone. Don't know if it'll help but it helped me take care guys

Quick Reply: What Solved Your <2000 RPM hesitation?