LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What sets Ed Wright (Fastchip) above the others?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

The one with C5R stuff on it? Other than that they were all just mostly bottle sniffers which are well BORING.

Bret
Old 11-04-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
I live near KC and would like to now does he still tune and how much does he charge
You can check his website. http://www.fastchip.com/
Old 11-04-2006, 07:24 PM

93yellowta said he had a guy around KC do a live tune just wondered if he was still around
Old 11-04-2006, 08:28 PM

Kc...

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
93yellowta said he had a guy around KC do a live tune just wondered if he was still around

yeah the guy I had do mine does it out of his house...He is no professional, but he has tune a few LT1's... he has the moates burner and software. what he does is takes it out and datalog it, then makes some changes, to pe tables I think? but I know mine was really lean from the Ion tune, he fattened it up on the lower rpm's. and thinned it out in the upper rpm's. and so on. we prob. took it out 5-7 times and kept dattalogging it, until the afr and drivability were almost dead on. did not get it on a dyno yet but a world of diff. car will kick sideways at 35mph. runs much stronger. just waiting to get my 4l60 built to the hilt in january. and to put in my new yank py3600 stall... you can get ahold of him on mofbody.com his username is splinky.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:00 PM

I was offered an OBD2 PCM converted to OBD1 for a very good price. I have a few questions:

can I swap my original PCM in and out without any problems?
when it comes time for tuning do I need to use an OBD1 or 2 cable?
will there be a problem with the number of pins on the connector on my steering column when I will be getting tuned in the OBD1 format?
Old 11-05-2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
The one with C5R stuff on it? Other than that they were all just mostly bottle sniffers which are well BORING.

Bret
Yeah, that one.

Bottle sniffers? You lost me on that one!
Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 PM

Bottle sniffers? You lost me on that one!
NITROUS!
Old 11-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

It ran pretty well, mid 9's. They have more work left to do on that but it should be a killer when it's done.

Bret
Old 11-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by marshall93z
How did the LS1 car from NC do?

rasputin,

Definitely put it on the dyno regardless of whose mail order tune you decide on!

9.83 @135

We didn't even get the engine fired until that Sunday morning. 24hrs later we were in the 9's. After how it ran at Mooresville this past saturday, I think it would be safe to say it will go 9.60's the next time we make it back out to a 1/4 mile track. 6.13 @ 110 mph with a 1.26 60ft. These times are with pump gas and drag radials also. Heres a pic at mooresville from Saturday:

Old 11-08-2006, 03:02 PM

I have to say Jeff Creech from Carolina Auto Masters is one of the best. He dyno tuned my car and my car runs excellent. Any changes that I need done to my tune or any questions I have, Jeff gets back to me in a fast timely matter.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:18 PM

not sure what magical answer your looking for...he's smart, experienced, knows his ****, etc, etc,
Old 11-08-2006, 03:25 PM

A mail order tune is strictly a guess...anyone can add a few degrees and lean out the WOT fueling a little and make more power.....and hope you weren't already running a little lean to begin with for some other reason.

If you can't take it to a dyno with a scan tool, or drive around using a scan tool and a wideband o2, you're better off not changing anything until you know what the current tune is doing for your engine as every engine runs a little different or has some other outside factor affecting its tune.
I got nothing but excuses and exceptions from Ed in the past, thats why I learned to tune my own.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:59 AM

Just a word of caution: Make sure whoever does your mail order tuning that they don't hide the readouts that are important if you have to pass emissions.

Obviously, if your emissions cops can't read your pcm because it has been been the readouts have been disabled, they can't pass you. JMHO
Old 11-09-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 5ltreatr
9.83 @135

We didn't even get the engine fired until that Sunday morning. 24hrs later we were in the 9's. After how it ran at Mooresville this past saturday, I think it would be safe to say it will go 9.60's the next time we make it back out to a 1/4 mile track. 6.13 @ 110 mph with a 1.26 60ft. These times are with pump gas and drag radials also. Heres a pic at mooresville from Saturday:

Fastest NA car at the shootout if I'm not mistaken. Not to bad for the factory computer and especially considering the thing fired for the first time about 26 hours before it had to be there w/ a 12 hour drive. Did you see the sticker in the back window?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:24 PM

I'll have to agree that its a great idea to put a mail order tune on at least a wideband or dyno to double check them out.

I think people are missing the big point in mail order tunes from reputable guys like ourselves, madz28, and Ed W. That is, people who really know and understand these setups are few and far between IMHO. I'm not saying they are not out there but i get dyno tunes in very regularly for retunes. When I open these dyno tunes up the part throttle fueling and spark will either not be changed or very very crudely changed. What I'm getting at is there are alot of dyno tuning shops that know nothing more than how to tune in the wide open throttle stuff on a dyno.

For instance at the moment I'm redo a car via email tune. The customer originally had it dyno tuned in NV. His dyno tune on a cam/head car had 0 changes to the VE (part throttle fueling) tables. What does that tell you? He might have a car that runs good at WOT but what about everything else?

To have someone who really knows what they are doing so that you get all your VE tables, all your OS tricks, etc... while getting a great performing WOT tune is key. There are a lot of smart guys across the country able to do this.. but there are quite a few guys who have no-idea what they are doing IMHO. We are there for the people with regular or routine setups and who do not live near a qualified or respected tuner for their car/platform.

We try our best and we have been around for 7 years now doing this. I'm not going to say that we are the best in each case because each case may be different. There are irregularities with cars that may only be seen by someone there in person.

What you get with a mail order tune from us is a tune that should run quite well. It should drive good and it should perform good and come close to a dyno tune in power.

We got in this business because there was no-one offering a mail order tune at anything other than a dyno tune price.

Quick Reply: What sets Ed Wright (Fastchip) above the others?