LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What Performance Parts Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 04:43 PM

What Performance Parts Should I Buy?

I have a '95 Z28 that has primarily a stock set-up for right now (I have Accel 9000 Spark Plug Wires, a Flowmaster muffler, & a K&N Air Filter) but I am seriously considering purchasing the following products. Any feed-back on experience with these products or suggestions of other Brands would be appreciated. Thanx!
- Accel Fuel Injectors
- Accel 300+ Digital Ignition
- BBK Power-Plus Throttle Body
- BBK Shorty Headers
- Catco Catalytic Converter
- Jet Stage 2 Computer Chip/Module

* Also - What kind of spark plugs would you guys suggest?
Old 02-20-2003, 05:22 PM

Exclamation Ok here's my input

Im gonna break it down by each mod you want to do.

First off to note, unless your doing a cam and heads, most of these mods are NOT needed, even with them stockers are fine.

-Accel Fuel Injectors- Not really needed, 24 lbs/hr which i think is still stock for 95 can support up to if not a little more than 450 FWHP. Unless your running N20, NO MORE than 30lbs, There was a person here on this board with more mods than fingers and toes times 2 and was drowning his motor horribly cus of too much fuel. Overly rich conditions suck.

- Accel 300+ Digital Ignition- Ignition box will always give you a complete burn and quicker throttle response, but it isnt really needed yet again cus your reletivly stock. But for future mods especially any boost (sc'er, turbo, or n20) its a invaluable item

- BBK Power-Plus Throttle Body- What is this mod, the power plus!?!, If you wanted since your intake manifold has a opening for a 52mm TB get that, if you got a 58 you need to have it opened up more, otherwise you will never reap the benefits.

- BBK Shorty Headers- A GREAT header, I really liked these, we put them on a 94 t/a and it gained like .4 in the 1/4 and 4mph. BUT GET THEM COATED (http://www.jet-hot.com) Painted sucks, and they rust.

- Catco Catalytic Converter - I head many good things bout these converters, how much are you paying??

- Jet Stage 2 Computer Chip/Module - *PUKE*, Honestly go to PCMforless, http://www.pcmforless.com brian will hook you up and you know where that money was well spent.

May i Also suggest NGK spark plugs, they ROCK!! No platnium plugs.

Also look into 1.6 Roller rockers with spring upgrade, Crane Gold race, or Pro Mags are good. I think you need hardened push rods i forget if 95 had them, if you dont, then you need them for the self aglining.

Get a Cold Air Intake or make one, if your filter is still in the engine compartment.

you didint mention if it was a auto or manual but if you got a Manual, short throw 5.0 shifter is nice

If auto, a trans go shift kit, and tranny cooler will be really nice. If you got the cash get a stall, 2000-2500 range Lockup style. Pericision Ind. Vigi, or Yank.

Ever consider suspenion?? How bout some subframe connectors? or pan hard bar, or refreshing your bushings with poly urithane.

I hope this gives you some ideas, and the mods you want to do are not bad, dont get me wrong, but your too stock to be able to fully utilize the expensive peices. GM's have come along a long way since the 80's where Tpi's gain 40 hp from a intake and vortec head swap, get it?

Good luck if you got questions email to GGSabin54@aol.com
Old 02-20-2003, 06:14 PM

The Catco Conv is $66.39 through Summit Racing. I do have an automatic trans, but I'm not concerned about upgrading it - I just had it re-built/upgraded last summer by a buddy of mine who did too many mod's to it to list - I know it can handle anything I put in front of it. As for the air cleaner - I took the box off & I have a K&N Air Filter on it.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:29 PM

What BlkScreaminMach said is all true

The only worthwhile mod on that list is headers.

Stay away from Ignition and fuel work right now, ur car is stock right now and adding those things will only create a hassle. If ur looking for some good power, look into get a Hot Cam Kit and the headers.

If ur gonna be racing at a track, do some suspension work to help ur traction. Invest in Subframe connectors, panhard rod, Lower Control Arms, Relocation brackets, and a torque arm.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:37 PM

Go for the headers and a cat-back exhaust-a good CAI will help also-I also agree with the 1.6 rockers-then go with gears-with the mods you have,I wouldn't go with a throttle body yet and then I wouldn't go bigger than 52mm unless you are planning on making some serious power(blower-N2O) I had a 52mm and went to a 58mm-it was a waste of money in my case.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:47 PM

Re: What Performance Parts Should I Buy?

Originally posted by SinCat
I have a '95 Z28 that has primarily a stock set-up for right now (I have Accel 9000 Spark Plug Wires, a Flowmaster muffler, & a K&N Air Filter) but I am seriously considering purchasing the following products. Any feed-back on experience with these products or suggestions of other Brands would be appreciated. Thanx!
- Accel Fuel Injectors
- Accel 300+ Digital Ignition
- BBK Power-Plus Throttle Body
- BBK Shorty Headers
- Catco Catalytic Converter
- Jet Stage 2 Computer Chip/Module

* Also - What kind of spark plugs would you guys suggest?
The Throttle Body, Shortys, and Injectors are all going to be a "waste" for you right now. There are all good mods for cars with motor upgrades.

As far as the chips goes, I would be is custom programed from PCM4Less. For the price that you would spend on that chip you can get better programing.

The coverter and ignition are good thing to do, you should also get full exhust on it but not with shorty, go with the hooker long tubes.

my $.02
Old 02-20-2003, 06:50 PM

Don't get the BBK headers. If you want a cheap good header get the MAC or Edelbrock headers. The BBK suck!
Old 02-20-2003, 06:53 PM

I wouldnt get the HOT CAM KIT. That cam is so overrated and everyone has them. How can you out run someone if you have the same things. There are some cams out now that make the HOT CAM look like childs play.

Everyone has basically said the same things. Get the CAI, headers, cat back, possible a computer program from pcmforless, and maybe a different gear. I know most stock autos without a big nasty stall converter have a horrible first gear. Well I should say from a dead stop they are horrible. Theres lots of things you can get to go faster. The question is, are you ready to spend the $$$$.

Good luck and be safe!
Old 02-20-2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by LT1ponykilla
I wouldnt get the HOT CAM KIT. That cam is so overrated and everyone has them. How can you out run someone if you have the same things. There are some cams out now that make the HOT CAM look like childs play.

The Hot Cam Kit is a very good setup for the money. U get great gains for the money, while staying emissions legal and can perform well without new heads.

of course there will be things that are "faster" and more aggresive than the hot cam, but if u wanna stay streetable and legal, go hot cam kit.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by LT1ponykilla
I wouldnt get the HOT CAM KIT. That cam is so overrated and everyone has them. How can you out run someone if you have the same things. There are some cams out now that make the HOT CAM look like childs play. Good luck and be safe!
How can you say that the Hot Cam in overrated? Yea there are some cams out there that make the Hot cam look like child's play, but then they are not that good for street driving. You want a reliable car that is fast as well. Plus, there are not a lot of cams that are emissions legal. The only other one that I know of is that is a good cam is the Cc305 cam. Have you not seen the numbers people are laying down with that cam?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by WheelmanZ28

The Hot Cam Kit is a very good setup for the money. U get great gains for the money, while staying emissions legal and can perform well without new heads.

of course there will be things that are "faster" and more aggresive than the hot cam, but if u wanna stay streetable and legal, go hot cam kit.
We dont have emissions here so I guess thats a good thing! Theres other cams that are still street legal are better than the hot cam. Im not saying its not a good cam, but its old and everyone has them. Why be just as fast as the next guy. BE FASTER!

The cc305 and cc306 are great cams. Im not sure which one it is but one of those will not work with stock heads I believe.

Theres a few XE cams that do really good on the street and add a few more horses than the Hot Cam.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:06 PM

The Cc305 cam is the one that is emissions legal, but it is not as lopey as the Hot cam. I know I want my car to lope when I have my cam in. The cc306 is nice too, but you won't pass emissions with it.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:25 PM

TB bypass, underdrive, pulleys ,pmcforless, 1.6rr's, good aftermarket coil,headers and Y-pipe to get started would be my suggestion.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:27 PM

Also lt4km and airfoil instead of 52mm tb
Old 02-20-2003, 07:34 PM

What types of Computer Chips/Modules would you guys suggest other than "pcmforless"? Also, This car is basically a daily-driver for 6 months out of the year - the other 6 months it's in storage. So I'm looking for things that will "beef" it up a bit, not full-racing gear. I don't really want to dig too deep into the engine because it only has about 55,000 miles on it & I don't want to screw up a good thing!! By the way, what is this CAI thing you are all talking about??

Quick Reply: What Performance Parts Should I Buy?