LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What kind of oil is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 07:12 PM

What kind of oil is best?

I've heard some arguments for and against Valvoline and Mobil etc. I guess it's just personal preference but I'd like to hear what you guys think? Also, what do you think about Blue Purple? A friend of mine uses it in is TA and swears by it.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:17 PM

you'll never get a definate answer about which is best. Everyone will say whatever they use is best. I use Mobil-1 0w40, not becasue its the best but because I can get only that weight for free from work. And after 30000 miles of abuse I have no complaints about it. Its pretty thin oil.

Blue Royal Purple (royal purple) is pretty good stuff too.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:17 PM

You mean Royal Purple?

My understanding is that RP starts out it's life as Mobil 1, which is then filtered numerous times and a "purple" dye is added to the oil to give it that signature look. This from a very good source.

I use Mobil 1 and have used Amsoil. One seems to be just as good as another and I've even done the oil analysis (lab report) thing quite a few times.
Of course, I change the oil in my race cars quite frequently so that doesn't count for much. My main concern there is certain particles in the oil so that's what I look for.

-Mindgame
Old 03-06-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Mindgame
You mean Royal Purple?
Oops sorry... ROYAL PURPLE is what I meant to say

Is there any advantage of using a 10w30 as opposed to a 0w40 like Grease mentioned?
Old 03-06-2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by grohl12
Oops sorry... ROYAL PURPLE is what I meant to say

Is there any advantage of using a 10w30 as opposed to a 0w40 like Grease mentioned?
10w30 is the weight you want to use. 0w40 is too thin. Just becasue I use it doesn't mean that its the right oil for the car. Like I said, its free for me, if I ruin the motor then I'll have an excuse to build a stroker
Old 03-06-2003, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. But I guess what I'm also trying to find out is how many of you would prefer Royal Purple over another brand of synthetic oil and why?
Old 03-06-2003, 10:03 PM

the person I bought my car from used Mobil 1 5w-30 all of the life of the car since new, and I have done the same. It's not cheap, but I'm not cheap when it comes to the maintenence of my car, but I have heard great things about royal purple.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:56 PM

I thought I would jump in on this thread to post what I learned from a fellow chemist that worked at a oil package plant. I went to college with this guy and went to check out his work place after graduation. You see most refined motor oil is just that. It comes in on a train to the packaging plant were they bottle for various labels; penzoil, castor, exxon, quaker, stp, ect. Each oil company has their own additive formula that he would add and monitor in the storage/stir tanks. These suckers where big now. Anyway, he told me the best additive formula was Exxon brand oil. I was totally blown away. "The oil at the gas station with the tiger on it?" He said "yup". Anyway, he showed me the formula sheets and he was right. Now this only applies for conventual oil not synthetic or any synthetic derivative. Its hard to believe. But I suppose that goes to show that marketing and commercials does effect what we think is best. BTW, Mobil 1 was the best synthetic. They required addition vecosity and burn down test that the others didnt require. Now this was about 10 years ago so the whole thing may of changed since then. I lost contact with him after I went to grad school and dont know what is what now.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:10 AM

What PoorMan said I beleive is correct. The Same goes from gasoline. I knew a guy who worked for Chevron and he was saying that all the gas comes from the same pipeline. The only difference is the additives they put in it. He said Techron worked pretty well for the fuel injectors. I still buy the FI cleaner though...

I've always used the Valvoline 10w30 synthetic and it seems to be just fine. Synthetic i hear is good for 5,000 miles but I still change it a 3,000 anyways. If anyone knows of a recent tests between the Valvoline oil and Mobil 1 I'd like to hear about it.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:10 AM

The above 2 post about Gas and aoil are corect form everythign that I have heard.

Further more to the oil info, I have found out that some of the company names are not realy oil companies, but advertising. I have heard this about Castrol, but how much of it is tru I ahve no clue.

The only oil that I dotn use is Penzoil. I have heard that their additive some times leaves residue.

I beleive there are 2 gasoline lines if I'm not mistaken. Most of the big names and a couple of corner stores that you see come from the same one. There are a couple that I have heard coem from another source, but they are probably the same quality except for what ever they put in it.

Techron is beleived to be the best FI cleaner. Next time you go to the store compare the price of STP FI cleaner, and the Techron FI cleaner. prbably about a 6 $ diference. I say $1 to $2 is from marketing, and the rest is probably quality.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:15 AM

I use Royal Purple or Mobil 1 10w30.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:01 PM
96z

I used mobil one synthetic...