LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What a hack job

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 03:01 PM

Angry What a hack job

Ok.. well some of you may remember my post not too long ago about my custom y-pipe that the shop bottled necked to a single 2.5 inch pipe, and well short description it was a lousy job. Nice welds but not "performance oriented" if you know what I mean by that.

Some suggested to go back to the shop and tell them to do it again because they did not do what I wanted. So I did exactly that. I went back and talked to the guy and after explaining to the moron who did it, what I wanted. He said "well, I'll have to go talk to the boss because I don't know if he's gunna bill you or not to have this fixed" then after talking to him he returns and says "yup, I can do it, no charge. I understand exactly what you need done."

So I'm thinking, well that awesome, these guys really know how to make a customer happy.

I go to pick up the car today, he hands me the keys and says "yup, just go to the desk and she'll take care of you" And I'm know thinking, wtf? So I go in and she slides me a bill for another 230 on top of the 300 I paid and they screwed up! I go talk to Roger (guy who did my y-pipe) and he denies the whole thing!

So we go in and talk to "the boss" and he starts bitching "so what? My guy spends 8 hours and no pay?" and we (my dad and I) explain the situation. Finaly he said "you know what, just take it.. not worth arguing over. I've been racing for 20 years and that new y-pipe wont give you an ounce more power blah blah BLAH!"

I'm no rocket scientist, but I do know that a 3 inch pipe will flow more than a bottle-necked 2.5 inch.

And it's not even a nice job... slag everywhere, burning smell etc.

If you guys want a pic, I'll post one.. it's actually kinda funny how dumb it is lol... I'll go shoot one.

I'm done ranting
Old 06-28-2004, 03:07 PM

Next time, get it in writing.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
Next time, get it in writing.
I know, I know I said that exact sentence to myself after!

A friend just highly recomended them.. and I just trusted them. Big mistake.

Here are some pics of where the y-pipe merges.. lmao ridiculous.

Passenger Side 1

Passenger Side 2

Driver Side

Old 06-28-2004, 03:17 PM

That sucks dude, I probably would have fallen for the same trap.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:51 PM

WTF? what an ugly y-pipe. I made my own and it came out 100 times better than that piece. Sorry you were recommended to shmucks.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:58 PM

Sorry man, but that looks like absolute Hell. Just buy a used y-pipe off the board here. People part out all sorts of goodies in the For Sale forum.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:26 PM

That's what eight hours of his "work" looks like? So he wanted to charge you for the welding course he took and failed in that time too?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:35 PM

I had a custom y-pipe made for like $110 and it took about 3 hours. Sounds like that shop is a joke.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:48 PM

lol tell me about it guys..

I can't help but laugh at that POS...

The guy who did it.. I tried to tell him a better way to rout it would be to remove the tunnel brace and straighten out the two 2.5 inch pipes. But ohhhh no.. that tunnel brace to him was the be all, end all. If I removed that.. my drive shaft and tranny would break... I should have known better and left right there.

I suppose it's not all worthless though. I'm planning on true 2.5" duals both over the axel in the future.. so all that will have to be done is hack off all the sh*t after the cats, and remove the tunnel brace and I'm set.

On a good note though... MAN can you feel the Jet-Hot LT and 1.6 RR in the top end. Once I hit 3,000 RPMs.. it's like 2 more pistons kick in
Old 06-28-2004, 06:00 PM

You live and you learn,Its not worth losing your cool with them.Went to web site very nice SS you got best of luck with your car.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:17 PM

Decent Place to Start

If you are going to do your own or get it redone you may think about the Flowmaster merged y. a good place to start IMO and you can do 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 into 3 or 3 1/2 for that matter Jegs or Summit about $35. Last custom (race) exhaust i had done i took the muffler shop the merged y and basically handed it to him and said use this. 2 1/4 into 3. I came out great!. When i went back to pick up the car i was BS'ing with the guy and said you know that y you brought in is an excellent choice of a place to start. I thought yeah yeah ripping off my idea then he opened a storage locker that had a dozen or so of them. He said i can't build one as good as Flowmaster for $35. So maybe the moral of the story is a hack burning up (no pun intended) 8 hours worth of time to make something 100 times worse dont you can buy for $35 just isnt right! I am sure he got paid by the hour! The guy that did mine was the owner of the shop so time was money. I think Flowmaster once claimed 25 horsepower over a dual setup with thier merged y.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4923428 301859
Not talking sh**, just letting you know i feel your pain because i have got jacked by an exhaust shop a time or two myself.