LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

What are the first mods you would do to a stock LT-1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 PM

Question What are the first mods you would do to a stock LT-1?

Hello, as you can tell by my sig, my 94 Z is bone stock except for the exhaust which is a new FM system put on by the previous owner, or at least that's all i am aware since the motor was supposedly rebuilt just 1k miles ago??? I'm no street racer but i would like to add a little more power to the car. Where would be a good starting point on a fixed budget? By fixed budget, I'm talking about adding a new part maybe every couple of weeks or maybe a month depending on finances. Should i be looking for a cam? If so, what would be considered a mild cam? Maybe i should start somewhere else besides the motor???? Anyways, i would appreciate any and all suggestions and recommendations! Thanks to everyone...

P.S.....I forgot, i also have a cold air intake...

Last edited by Stephen68; 08-01-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Re: What are the first mods you would do to a stock LT-1?

Start with basic bolt ons like cai,headers,electric water pump and 160* thermostat. All are fairly simple to do (headers are a pita). Past that i would say start messing with the suspension a bit like lca,s and phb. Plus some subframe connectors. After these few things your car will start to feel like a differnent ride.

Sent from my LG-E739
Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 PM

I would start with some headers! The stock manifolds restrict the engine alot. Also, not sure if you are M6 or A4, but maybe some rear end gears for a little more punch?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM

my opinion: I would start getting things ready for an internal engine build. get all the systems ready for your cam/head mods in the future. make it breath better, air in air out. make the fuel system capable to handle more power and make the spark more effective. I guess mods are pretty much personal preference and what you want the car to do. this site is good for building on a fixed budget, I keep an eye on parts for sale all the time.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Seems like im getting more suggestions for headers....what headers would you guys recommend? Also, thanks for the suggestion ny z28man also, i was thinking that also...
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 PM

pacesetter are a good solid cheaper header to pick up with a ypipe
Old 08-01-2013, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro350z28
pacesetter are a good solid cheaper header to pick up with a ypipe
Thanks Camaro350z28, those were what i was looking at....should i look for long or short tube or does it make a difference? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen68
What are the first mods you would do to a stock LT-1?
3.73 Gears;
A PCM tune;
And (if you have a 4L60E tranny) a 3000 to 3600 stall torque converter (Vigilanti or Yank).

KW
Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 AM

I like and have the Mac mid-length headers, great spark plug access with these headers.
They come with the Y pipe, also get a 3" ORP if you dont have to worry about emissions and a 160 degree Hypertech thermostat to help you engine run cooler.
Like KW Baraka said above a Mail order tune, I used PCMforless.
All those above will give you a nice power increase.

Last edited by Matts97camaro; 08-02-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 AM

First thing I would do would be to set some goals and limits and whatnot so I could determine what you want - can attain. That way you dont buy parts that dont work with future mods. Some items you can get used and save a bunch of money. Its also best sometimes to save up and do certain things in groups(heads-cam) and try to get things done that require the pcm to be re-tuned to avoid multiple re-tunes(having something to log and to flash the pcm is a great thing to have especially if you plan to make some major changes from stock. Reguardless you will be most apt to meet your goals if you eefine them and begin to work towards them. Things begin to get expensive pretty quick. Doing the work yourself is a great way to save money and get to know your car. Good luck and have fun.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 08-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
3.73 Gears;
A PCM tune;
And (if you have a 4L60E tranny) a 3000 to 3600 stall torque converter (Vigilanti or Yank).

KW
I totally agree with this guy! Stall, Gears and dyno tune to lean that pig up. That is about a 1500-3k price depending if you buy new or used parts, and labor.

You will be the burn out king.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by my94blackz
I totally agree with this guy! Stall, Gears and dyno tune to lean that pig up. That is about a 1500-3k price depending if you buy new or used parts, and labor.

You will be the burn out king.
Originally Posted by KW Baraka
3.73 Gears;
A PCM tune;

KW
Originally Posted by Matts97camaro
I like and have the Mac mid-length headers, great spark plug access with these headers.
They come with the Y pipe, also get a 3" ORP if you dont have to worry about emissions and a 160 degree Hypertech thermostat to help you engine run cooler.
Like KW Baraka said above a Mail order tune, I used PCMforless.
All those above will give you a nice power increase.
Originally Posted by slick1hunting
First thing I would do would be to set some goals and limits and whatnot so I could determine what you want - can attain. That way you dont buy parts that dont work with future mods. Some items you can get used and save a bunch of money. Its also best sometimes to save up and do certain things in groups(heads-cam) and try to get things done that require the pcm to be re-tuned to avoid multiple re-tunes(having something to log and to flash the pcm is a great thing to have especially if you plan to make some major changes from stock. Reguardless you will be most apt to meet your goals if you eefine them and begin to work towards them. Things begin to get expensive pretty quick. Doing the work yourself is a great way to save money and get to know your car. Good luck and have fun.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Thanks to all you fella's for all the great suggestions and advice...i know have a better idea as where to begin and even better, how to begin...i will report back as i add and decide on mods to get youralls advice. Thanks!