CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   What is this black box on drivers side, underneath the hood alignment post? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/what-black-box-drivers-side-underneath-hood-alignment-post-119720/)

Black94mula 05-12-2003 11:02 PM

What is this black box on drivers side, underneath the hood alignment post?

Towards the front of the car, right underneath the screw post that raises or lowers the front edge of the hood.

Prince 05-12-2003 11:32 PM

Fuse and relay box

Dave

Black94mula 05-12-2003 11:38 PM

Naw, not that one, if your looking into the engine bay from over the drivers side fender though, its to the left and more towards the front of the fuse and relay box. Its got 2 connections going into it I think.

Laymaster 05-13-2003 03:07 AM

That's like..the pop-up headlight relays I believe...I had to "move" it when I put in my CAI...

Prince 05-13-2003 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Laymaster
..the pop-up headlight relays I believe...
That would explain why I don't have it:p!

Dave

Bud M 05-13-2003 09:00 PM

It's the Firebird driver protection box. It lowers hp by 20%. That's why Camaros are so much faster. Leave it alone, it's for your own good.:D

eyeoutthere 05-13-2003 10:01 PM

It’s the “Headlight Controls Module”. It has all the logic for operation of the headlights. It senses back EMF to tell when they are closed or open and cuts power to the motors accordingly.

Prince 05-13-2003 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Bud M
It's the Firebird driver protection box. It lowers hp by 20%. That's why Camaros are so much faster. Leave it alone, it's for your own good.:D
LMAO:lol:

I wish I had one of those in my car so I could disable it;)!

Dave

fireman 05-14-2003 01:25 AM

Be careful where you relocate that box to when you get the CAI, mine was too close to the fender and got wet. Water leaked down between the fender and the hood and soaked that module.

Guess what? headlights didn't work and that "dealer only" black box cost $380 to replace.

Black94mula 05-14-2003 06:37 AM

Okay, now this could go along with my other question of why my regular headlight beams don't work, but my high beams do?? When I turn on the headlights, the voltage kinda bounces all over and the headlights don't pop up. When I click the highs on though, they go right up and work fine.....anything to do with this box perhaps?

magius231 05-14-2003 08:22 AM

very possible, have you moved it at all? It seems to be an extremely sensitive device, so much so that people have relocated it and suddenly had all sorts of problems with their headlights...

Black94mula 05-14-2003 03:11 PM

Never moved it, but the car was hit there. Not super hard, the tire was turned to the left and took most of the impact. The nose and fender only had to be repainted. I've been wondering if this was to blame. Is there a way to check the box?

eyeoutthere 05-15-2003 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Black94mula
Never moved it, but the car was hit there. Not super hard, the tire was turned to the left and took most of the impact. The nose and fender only had to be repainted. I've been wondering if this was to blame. Is there a way to check the box?
Find someone with a Firebird and swap them. Or, you could get yourself a wiring diagram and try to figure out how it works, and then trouble shoot it. Someone probably has a logic diagram for it.

I had a car that was hit in the drivers side front. The module had a small crack in the casing (just enough for moisture to get in) and after a year or two the headlights started doing wacky things.

They are actually not very expensive to replace, $300 form the factory but only $15 or so from a salvage yard. (I feel sorry for anyone how actually bought one from the factory :eek: )