LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

what is this

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 01:24 AM

what is this

MBAproducts.com has these special fuel rail covers (check main page) with brackest for coil on plugs..what i this??

LT1 Coil On Plug Brackets

A modification to our new fuel rail cover (below), this set up allows for a "neat" install of LS1 coils.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:33 AM

Looks like MBA is coming out with some fuel rail covers that have holders for the coils for people who want to use Bob Bailey's LTCC. Sweet. May be time to order all my stuff to do that conversion.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
Bob Bailey's LTCC. .
yeah i dunno what that is...it woukd be cool though if they could make an alternative to the optispark...but hey whats an lt1 without the optispark lol
Old 03-07-2004, 01:55 AM

The LTCC sort of does replace the opti. You wire up the box and remove the high voltage side from the OPTI. Basically, you're left with the opti simply telling the computer where the cam and crank are and when the computer signals the coil to fire, the LTCC box fires the correct coil. The biggest hassle with doing the conversion has been where/how to mount the coils.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
The LTCC sort of does replace the opti. You wire up the box and remove the high voltage side from the OPTI. Basically, you're left with the opti simply telling the computer where the cam and crank are and when the computer signals the coil to fire, the LTCC box fires the correct coil. The biggest hassle with doing the conversion has been where/how to mount the coils.
thats awesom...well now they have a place to punt the coils....since it replace the electrical part if the opti...does thi mean that if it get s wet that u r not stranded on the side of the road or somthing....opti problems are over??? i would love to buy the coils and stuff but i dont think i have the money right now....anyone know where i can check them out?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:06 AM

I can't find Bailey's website, guess it's down or something. I think the opti can still technically fail if it gets really soaked, but it's not likely to happen. The only functional part that's left in the opti is the optical sensor. Supposedly you can even remove the rotor with some slight modification.

Oh, and it isn't cheap. Last I checked the box and harness was $400 bucks. Plus ~$35 bucks per coil (you need 8), new plug wires, and something to mount them to. It all adds up pretty quick.