LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Well got my car back and (WOW)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:49 PM

Well got my car back and (WOW)

ok well anyways. I got a 355 fully forged 236/242 cam at 568/579 lift 112 lsa and a 200 shot of nitrous.

Well i also just did my LT1 - LS1 brake conversion and i did the bleeding with a brake pump.

Well the ABS INOP light came on and wont go away. It really doesnt bother me, but when i slam on teh brakes it still doesnt skid or lock up the tires by using ABS. Dont know if the sensors are bad or if my ABS system is bad.

ANother problem i have that is scary is when i brake and turn, the power steering gets a lil stiff and sometimes locks up and is hard to turn. I made sure there were no air bubbles. So maybe i just have to becareful and get use to driving it with that big of a cam. My old motor with small cam did the same thing, but very very rarely.

Anyways, other than that the car sound badass and cant wait to break it in..

Last edited by crAzy95z28; 02-08-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:51 PM

Re: Well got my car back and (WOW)

Sweet, let me know how you like that cam. I have one similar to it in my car, just need to get some ignition problems fixed before I can drive it.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:56 PM

well honestly the cam chops hard enough that it makes my ears feel funny.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by crAzy95z28
ok well anyways. I got a 355 fully forged 236/242 cam at 568/579 lift and a 200 shot of nitrous.

Well i also just did my LT1 - LS1 brake conversion and i did the bleeding with a brake pump.

Well the ABS INOP light came on and wont go away. It really doesnt bother me, but when i slam on teh brakes it still doesnt skid or lock up the tires by using ABS. Dont know if the sensors are bad or if my ABS system is bad.

ANother problem i have that is scary is when i brake and turn, the power steering gets a lil stiff and sometimes locks up and is hard to turn. I made sure there were no air bubbles. So maybe i just have to becareful and get use to driving it with that big of a cam. My old motor with small cam did the same thing, but very very rarely.

Anyways, other than that the car sound badass and cant wait to break it in..

The cam will not affect the power steering. I'd recommend troubleshooting it and fixing it before you drive it too much, it could cause an accident and damage or wreck your car.

The cam could affect your brakes, though. The lower vacuum could cause you to have less power assist from the brake booster, but it should not cause an ABS inop light. Have you bled the system to the ABS Module and reseated all the wheel sensors?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:02 PM

well honestly the cam chops hard enough that it makes my ears feel funny.
I had mine idling with a carb on it at the engine shop on their run in stand, I just have no idea what the cam does while driving. I loved the idle
Old 02-08-2006, 09:49 PM

Just a thought about your ABS inop, I would check your third brake light. When they burn out they set it off.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:28 PM

ok maybe ill try and put the car on jack stands and turn the wheel left adn right with that power stering cap off nd try to get the air bubbles out..

The abs came on when i changed the lt1 brakes to ls1 and the wheel sensors too..
Old 02-08-2006, 10:57 PM

Okay, I might be reading your meaning wrong. But ABS is supposed to prevent skidding and locking up. If you can't lock them up then it would seem to working correctly.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:11 AM

Hey Randy I saw your Z up at ARD's and it's a beautifull car, did owen help u w/ the tune? Maybe now he can get started on mine.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:33 AM

An ABS light that stays on is not wheel sensors. Wheel sensors set a soft code and the light will go off until the car moves again and then come back on. I will admit I don't know much about the LS1 brake conversion though.

Usually when bled, the abs motors have to be shuttled out and back or the light will come on but usually goes away with a few driving cycles. If it is still there after driving it a few times, you should retrieve the code.

As far as the steering, you should check the level of the fluid and check the belt for burns, oil or other damage. If all that looks good, try turning the wheel from lock to lock with the car sitting still on the ground. If you encounter stiff spots before it gets to the end of its travel, the rack and pinion is shot.

My 99 truck has that problem and I just live with it since I don't have money for a new one.

BTW, the conversation got a little confusing regarding the wheels skidding or not and someone said they shouldn't because the ABS prevents that. Well just to clear this up a little. When the ABS INOP light is on that means the ABS is NOT working. Therefore lockup IS possible.

Under normal conditions when the ABS is working, the light is not on and when you encounter a wheel locking during breaking, the ABS will kick in to pulse the brake that is locking. At the same time the ABS system will light up the "low trac" light to inform the driver of the condition.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bdc95ta
Hey Randy I saw your Z up at ARD's and it's a beautifull car, did owen help u w/ the tune? Maybe now he can get started on mine.

it runs badass, but i need to get a tune soon, Running rich and smells like gas

But yea, my car is done and he is most likely starting on urs. Will be bringing it back up there after about 500 miles and putting the nitrous kit on, subframes, and cutout!

Getting bigger solenoids to handle a 200 shot + and now ill have a badass setup with a purge kit.

The steering is working fine now, i think its just when i brake and try to turn at the same time, the vacuum and the enigne dropping rpms that fast, plus the cam are making the power steering get alil hard.

I really dont care about the ABS as long as my car stops better than before.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by camarokid24
Just a thought about your ABS inop, I would check your third brake light. When they burn out they set it off.
Yea i agree with camarokid24, mine flickered on and off and couldnt figure it out and finally checked the third tail light and it had alittle burnt spot, put another one in and no problems since.