LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Weekend tune-up woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 01:02 PM

Weekend tune-up woes

I had big plans for my 96Z this last Saturday. Fix the intake leak (for the second time). Install a new coil, a 1LE elbow that I ordered, TB bypass, oil change, clean and re-oil the K&N filter on my CAI, install a goodyear gatorback serpentine belt, install new Taylor wires and NGK TR55 plugs. I figured that the intake manifold gasket swap would go much quicker, since this is the second time I've done it, and that I could swap out plugs and wires while the gasket sealant was setting up.

Got the car up on the rhino ramps at about 10:30 am. As I started tearing things apart, I realized that I couldn't either one of the fuel lines disconnected at the fuel rail. Apparently, they were too compacted with dirt and stuff... who knows. So, I had to push the fuel rail off to the side. After I get the intake off I decide to tackle the coil and wait for my buddy to show up so he can help me set the intake back down.

Well... I get the coil bracket off and realize that the original coil is attached to the bracket with DIVETS! I had to grind of the end of the divets and hammer them out. Then I spent a few minutes hammering the bracket back into shape so it could be re-used. Plus.. my GM coil came with only 1 bolt (but 2 nuts, of course). Beautiful. So I get the new coil on, along with the coil wire that came with the Taylor plug wires.

My buddy finally shows up. I put on the new intake gaskets and laid down a bead of sealant on the front and back. Waited about 5 minutes for it to tack up and then set the manifold down. Got one bolt threaded back in when we realized that the #7 fuel injector was now missing an O-ring. Apparently, it got stripped off when the fuel rail (w/ injectors still on it) was being pushed aside agains the fuel lines and wiring to make room to slide the intake back in. So, just to be safe, we take the intake back off. My buddy starts dipping his fingers into the oil puddles down in the lifter valley to see if he can find it. No luck. I deside to dip my fingers down and check under the baffle, end up slicing my finger open. I run inside to grab a band-aid, my buddy checks again. Sure enough... it fell down into the valley and was resting underneath the baffle. Thank god. If he hadn't dipped his fingers down there again, I might of assumed it wasn't in there and slapped the intake back on.

I get the intake torqued back down at about 6:00 PM. I wasn't really worried about the weather, the forecast called for sun all weekend. Yup, you guessed it. Starts to rain.. or should I say, pour buckets. I was working outside, just in front of the garage. With the help of my buddy, I used a tarp to create a shelter of sorts that ran from the garage door to the hood. I was miserable by this point. By this point it was way too late for plugs and wires. I put a new plug into the #1 cylinder. I was just sort of curious what the old plugs looked like. They weren't too bad.

I re-routed the coolant lines for the TB bypass. Placed some vacuum caps on the exposed TB coolant lines. Got everything re-connected. Put the K&N back on after my buddy re-oiled it. drained the oil. Apparently, I was on steroids last time I changed the oil. It took about 20 minutes to get the old filter off. Put the new oil in, reconnect the battery.

Cranked it over........ it started right up.

I love this LT1, but sometimes I hate working on it. I'm sure there are just a few of you out there who agree with me.
I'm going to wait a few days and go back in there and re-torque the manifold bolts. That was something I didn't do the first time around. I could tell... some of the bolts were much looser than they should of been. I also ordered a heat sleeve from Summit that I will wrap around the EGR pipe tonight or tomorrow.

I think I will wait until the emotional and physical wounds heal before I tackle the plugs and wires.