LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Waterpump Driveshaft install.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 09:26 PM

Waterpump Driveshaft install.....

I actually removed my timing cover to replace all three of those seals. Now do I push that little coupler after I install the cover back on or slide it on first and then put the timing cover back on? I'm hoping I can slide it on after because I already put the cover back on. It seems pretty tight. I've done a search on it although I'm not sure if this is what everyone is talking about.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:32 AM

Re: Waterpump Driveshaft install.....

If you are talking about the waterpump drive shaft coupler then yes you can install it after you put the cover on. Its a small shaft that has female ends on both sides and is splined. I hope you know how to install the waterpump drive seal on correctly. It can be such a pain to get it on the first time and seal. If you don't know there are special tricks you had better do a search to learn the trick before you get it all back together. I'd also recommend putting some anti-seize in the coupler to keep it from sticking later on.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:15 AM

Some tricks I know is to cut a circle out of a soft drink bottle large enough to fit around the pump shaft, lots of oil, insert the seal onto the cut out plastic after forming it to a tube like structure. Slide the tube onto the shaft and slide the seal onto the shaft.
Or take a deep well socket that is just a hair larger than the shaft, lots of oil, slide seal onto socket and then slide seal off of socket onto shaft.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Banned

If ya put it in before putting cover on ya can keep from turning it wrong side out with a little care.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:05 PM

Okay, well I already pounded the new seal in the cover, if thats what your talking about. Now I realize I need to stick this coupler in there. I had the coupler on the spline when I tried to push the timing cover back on and was wondering what was keeping it from sitting flush. Is that coupler just a reeeal tight fit in that seal? If I try to push the coupler in now, won't it push the lip on the seal inwards, the wrong way? Why are LT1's so freakin weird?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Black94mula
Okay, well I already pounded the new seal in the cover, if thats what your talking about. Now I realize I need to stick this coupler in there. I had the coupler on the spline when I tried to push the timing cover back on and was wondering what was keeping it from sitting flush. Is that coupler just a reeeal tight fit in that seal? If I try to push the coupler in now, won't it push the lip on the seal inwards, the wrong way? Why are LT1's so freakin weird?
Ugh... LT1's are not weird.. you just need a bit of education.
First of all you should've waited to put the seal in the cover until after the timing cover was in place. More than likely the seal will not seat on the shaft properly and it will leak profusely.
The couple DOES NOT go on until after the timing cover is in place and you are ready to put the water pump on.
You probably want to start over again by taking that water pump seal out, putting the timing cover on and then follow the directions I supplied unless somone has a better way.
Good luck
Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the reply, I guess I might have to do that. But seriously the LT1's are a pita, at least the optispark and surrounding area. Its a source of constant aggravation. I have plenty of education, its my 6th Trans Am, and the hardest one to work on.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Black94mula
Thanks for the reply, I guess I might have to do that. But seriously the LT1's are a pita, at least the optispark and surrounding area. Its a source of constant aggravation. I have plenty of education, its my 6th Trans Am, and the hardest one to work on.
To each their own I reckon. I've had mine since new in '96 and find them much more pleasant to work on than a TSBC.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:31 PM

Ok I was just out there looking at it again, the cover is on and the driveshaft spline came through the cover fine. Now if I just slip the coupler on the spline and connect the waterpump, it lines up just fine. I thought I had to work that coupler through the top seal while it was on the spline. I'm hoping I've got this correct, I can't see how it would work if it was in the timing cover somewhat. The spline would be a little too short. Otherwise I'm all set, as long as the oil pan gasket doesn't leak....

btw, whats tsbc?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:17 PM

Traditional Small Block Chevy.
Hopefully you got the seal on correctly or you are going to have a good size oil leak.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:54 AM

Does the coupler actually go through the shaft seal on the timing cover?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by grandpacaprice
Does the coupler actually go through the shaft seal on the timing cover?
Once it's all in place, no it doesn't. During install, the coupler can be used to install the cover over the waterpump driveshaft without fliping the lip on the seal. It's a perfect fit over the driveshaft and allows the cover to slide on while guiding the seal into place.

I'm not sure why people resort to cutting up soda bottles and using deep well sockets when the coupler itself is an exact fit

Thomas.