LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

IS this a WATER PUMP PROBLEM???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 06:56 PM

IS this a WATER PUMP PROBLEM???

Hey well as you know Ive been having problems over heating on my LT1. This is whats new. Radiator ROD Core job as been done. New STAT is in. Complete flush. now WIth that. My Radiator still cont. to boil water over. ANd the TEMP still rises. Radiator man told me to go home. Take off the THERMOStat and start the car. And if it still Boils. That means the Water pump is not pumping water. SO. I have done this. I revoved the THermo And started the car and its still over flows. SO is this indeed my water pump. Thanks
CHris
Old 05-31-2003, 07:06 PM

no oil in ur coolant? or milky looking oil? or excessive white smoke? dissappearing coolant? might be a head gasket if you're over heating so much. could try a new rad cap but not sure of how much help that'll be.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:20 PM

well. Theres no oil in the coolant at all. Its not milkey just looks like the coolant gets contaminaded Its a nasty beige color. However. SOmetimes often when I run the A/C there has been white smoke coming through the Vents. So wass up with this??
Chris
ttt
Old 05-31-2003, 07:25 PM

That nasty beige color in your coolant could be oil. You may have a blown head gasket.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:34 PM

Your symptoms have the ring of head gasket failure.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:45 PM

SO would that be Y. My car contiunes to overheat. Even with new THermo and a working water pump. Also. would that explain Y the fluid just contunies to over flow and have extreme poping nioses like the cap to the radiator wants to fly off and put a hole through the Rough. Thank
Hey Shoe did you like that post I gave you Thanks man
CHris
ttt
Old 05-31-2003, 07:47 PM

Cool

Did ya bleed the system ?

-Shannon
Old 05-31-2003, 07:54 PM

yeah I turn the car on bleed the two screws and water comes out like it should I think. SO what now
lol
CHris
ttt
Old 05-31-2003, 08:04 PM

Well one way to check for a blown head gasket is to idle the car and pop your hood. Then spray WD40 near your head gaskets. If the idle RPM raises, congratulations, you have a blown head gasket and you have just figured out which head it is. I'm not sure if it works 100% of the time, but its worth a try. If the engine speed increases, you definitely have a leak due to a blown head gasket.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:13 PM

ttt
Old 05-31-2003, 10:33 PM

If his engine is gettin too hot, couldnt it possibly go up in flames from WD40 since that stuff is extremely flamable ? See if you can check the cylinders for compression. If you got a bad head one or 2 will read lower then the rest ...
Old 05-31-2003, 10:52 PM

When you turn your heater on do you get that white smoke as well?
Old 05-31-2003, 11:01 PM

NO theres no SMoke coming from the VENTS when the HEat is on. Only when the A/C is sometimes. So what are the symtoms of a blown water pump. ANd head gasket??
Chris
ttt
Old 05-31-2003, 11:29 PM

If coolant is leaking into your cyclinders because of a blown head gasket you would have white smoke coming out of your exhaust and generally crappy engine performance.

A bad waterpump would have coolant leaking from it and possibly a misfire due to coolant on the opti. The opti may or may not be problematic depending on whether the fluid has gotten into it. If nothing else pull the waterpump off and get a new one at Autozone. They have lifetime warranties on theirs and go for about $150 as I recall. You could also get an electric pump which would be around the same price if you got CSI one but them you have to dremel the stock pump a little. Might be more trouble than it's worth in your case.

Removing a waterpump isn't that hard. You drain the radiator, pull all the hoses off of it, remove the bolts holding the pump on it (the hardest part) and pull it off. Install new pump in reverse order and remember to use new waterpump gaskets. Autozone will have those as well. You will need two. I think they only sell them individually.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:01 PM

ttt

Quick Reply: IS this a WATER PUMP PROBLEM???