LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

water in oil, anyone ever crack an LT1 block?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:47 AM

Re: water in oil, anyone ever crack an LT1 block?

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
Unless the materials are noticeably different most people can't tell a sleeved block from a non-sleeved block, especially if the block is dirty.

When I say noticeably different I mean like aluminum blocks with iron cylinder sleeves or liners. Look up a sleeved LS1 block for reference.

Block Sleeving Back to Standard - YouTube
That is some ancient 50's technology they're using there.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by MachinistOne
That is some ancient 50's technology they're using there.
Fairly representative of what you would find in most local machine shops. You don't need a CNC machine to do basic machine work, just a solid foundation and a good set of calipers. Heck, most of those machines will probably still work after another 50 years.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
Fairly representative of what you would find in most local machine shops. You don't need a CNC machine to do basic machine work, just a solid foundation and a good set of calipers. Heck, most of those machines will probably still work after another 50 years.
No, not really...we have one of those machines, it's in a corner and hasn't been used in decades, and I don't know any other shops around here that don't have proper boring equipment.

I didn't say anything about needing a CNC machine, but if you want to have bores that are square to the crank you need to use a boring machine that's not deck mounted and over 50 years old.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:30 PM

I could be wrong but it looks like you have the wrong head gasket on there. The coolant passage is completely blocked off next to the suspect cylinder.

It also appears that whoever put the new gasket on there, did a poor job of prepping the block for the new gasket. The gasket "glue" marks are completely different, when comparing the cylinder head to the block.

The cylinder head looks to have a big crack in it also(maybe it's just carbon build up) Look right next to the spark plug hole.

Just my observations, take them for what they are worth.

Mike

Last edited by Pullngz; 08-25-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by drptop70ss
Little background on this engine. I bought a 95Z28 from this board back in 2008, engine had been rebuilt with forged pistons, blower cam, etc., and an S trim supercharger. From what I remember the engine was burning coolant, taken to a shop that removed the heads and said the head gaskets were ok. Engine was reassembled and I bought it as is.
Just took it out of storage since 2008 to finally work on it. Couldnt remember the specifics of the problem, engine ran fine but the radiator was dry so I filled it with water to run the car and see what the problem was. Car did not make the white fog I was expecting, ran fine, and then I checked the oil and found a lot of the water was going in the oil. Shut down the car and pulled the engine.
Drained the oil and water mix and started taking the engine apart. I expected the milkshake of oil and water everywhere but did not expect this when I pulled the right side cylinder head.

Head gaskets were fine, looked new, so I assume they were replaced when the heads were originally pulled. Combustion chambers do not look steam cleaned.

Did see this "spot" in the suspect cylinder.

So now I have water in the crank case and in the cylinder as well.

Took the heads to a machine shop to be pressure tested and checked for flatness, all checked out, no cracks and flat to .002" or better. So heads are ok, head gaskets were ok.

No obvious cracks in the block, but next is to get it pressure tested as well. I assume it is cracked, but shouldnt I be able to see a crack large enough to put a gallon of water in the pan in a matter of minutes? Also the engine was not making white smoke and ran fine, so the coolant in the cylinder must have seeped in while the engine was sitting after being pulled.

Anyone ever crack a block like this?
yes cracks. just tore mine down water in the oil and found sleeve in number one cylinder cracked from top to bottom