LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Valve Lash Setting Won't Hold On One Rocker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:38 PM

Angry Valve Lash Setting Won't Hold On One Rocker?

I'm having a problem with cyl 2 intake rocker. It's clacking constantly. If I set the lash on it, the noise will go away, but will come back after a few seconds. I can then tighten it down 1/8 - 1/4 turn more, and it will quiet down again, but after a few seconds will come back.

I'm thinking this is a sign of a failing lifter. Can anyone confirm? Is there anything else which can cause this? this happened right after my Scorpion 1.7 RR install

Before the install, I had no rocker noise. Is it possible the additional spring pressure from the Comp 918 springs was just enough to cause a 118k mile lifter to fail?

Thanks for any help,
Thomas.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:06 AM

Re: Valve Lash Setting Won't Hold On One Rocker?

Yea , as long as your rocker nut isn't loosening , which from your description it "dosn't" sound like it is.... it sounds like the lifter itself is failing with your now increased spring pressure.....their's also a good chance that given some more time the others "may" follow right behind it...their probably all right on the edge of pumping down.....On past motors,I've also had that happen with some several year old lifters right after a new increase in spring pressure with a new cam & heavier springs........Iv'e also had it start to happen in an engine where the oil pump was not delivering the right pressure at idle (and just slightly above) but above, say 2000 rpm's, it would build enough pressure to keep the lifters solid.........if you have good oil pressure and flow, I'd just go with a set of new lifters......this should solve your problems..........Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 02-06-2006 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:04 AM

Do you have Comp 'R' or stock lifters? Anyway, it sounds like a lifter failure..
Old 02-06-2006, 07:19 AM

I have stock lifters and an oil pressure of 80psi when cold and 60 when warm. I was watching the nut very closely, and it is not backing off.

If I end up replacing the lifter, I will definitely replace all of them. I suppose a set of OEM lifters from GM is the way to go.

Thanks for the advice,
Thomas.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:42 AM

You are putting a bigger load on those old lifters. It would have been a good idea to add lifters to your shopping list for the conversion.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You are putting a bigger load on those old lifters. It would have been a good idea to add lifters to your shopping list for the conversion.
Agreed, I should have planned on replacing the lifters from the beginning; especially with 118k on the clock .... of course, hind sight is always 20/20

The only other thing I can think of is, the rocker trunion could be upsidedown. I could see that causing this type of issue. I know, wishful thinking .... I'm sure I'll be ordering new lifters tomorrow....

Thomas.