LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Turndowns vs. an X-pipe.... power-wise..

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:10 PM

Turndowns vs. an X-pipe.... power-wise..

My exhaust fits ****-poor, not gonna lie. It leaks a bit and scrapes everywhere I go..

It's a ghetto xpipe with a set of dynomax bullets.

I have a track rental event coming up in a few weeks and was thinking of just putting a set of collector turndowns at the end of my headers and calling it a day.. something like this:

I remember open headers feeling somewhat gutless down low, but on a setup like mine what do you guys think.. am I going to ruin my low end power by dumping my Xpipe and putting this on. Really don't care how loud it's going to be, the car is ridiculous as is. Just don't want to lose 60'... the weight loss would be nice though.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 AM

I'd give it a try, what have you got to lose? Oh yeah, a little weight!! Is there anything else you can yank out before the track day?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 AM

If your going from an x-pipe setup to the turndowns, you may want to datalog it. Might have to tweak the tune a big, since you'll reduce the back pressure ,and less restriction..Just a thought.

Did you ever fix your oil pressure problem?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:02 PM

I would think you should be ok giving up a bit on the bottom end considering your stall and gears, at the track the motor isnt going to be spinning that low anyway
Old 11-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

I think the turndowns will sound bad ***---
Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 PM

I've heard that headers are enough back pressure for the heads by their selves so turn downs would probibly improve your ET over your X-pipe.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM

Any post-collector restriction is bad - engines dont need backpressure, they need scavenging...which is created before the collector and determined by header design not any exhaust restrictions.

You may need to tweak the tune a bit for them, but you will not lose any power or torque anywhere and should see an improvement on the topend. It will be crazy loud though .
Old 11-17-2008, 12:49 PM

Well I went from 3" duals with an x-pipe but had to cut them off to clear my torque arm and antiswaybar so i ran the car with some 8" pipes on the end of the collector thinking it would save weight also but the car didn't pick up anything with better air. So I hated the sound of open headers so i modified the exhaust,put the exhaust back on and ran quicker. now this was just my car. Later Clint
Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by flyinZ
If your going from an x-pipe setup to the turndowns, you may want to datalog it. Might have to tweak the tune a big, since you'll reduce the back pressure ,and less restriction..Just a thought.

Did you ever fix your oil pressure problem?
That old post was bumped for whatever reason. I fixed that 2 years ago The problem was just too much oil in the pan.

Originally Posted by <Puck>
Any post-collector restriction is bad - engines dont need backpressure, they need scavenging...which is created before the collector and determined by header design not any exhaust restrictions.

You may need to tweak the tune a bit for them, but you will not lose any power or torque anywhere and should see an improvement on the topend. It will be crazy loud though .
Fair enough.. won't have time to mess w/ the tune before the rental though, so I'll have to run as-is.

Originally Posted by T/A lt1
Well I went from 3" duals with an x-pipe but had to cut them off to clear my torque arm and antiswaybar so i ran the car with some 8" pipes on the end of the collector thinking it would save weight also but the car didn't pick up anything with better air. So I hated the sound of open headers so i modified the exhaust,put the exhaust back on and ran quicker. now this was just my car. Later Clint
Hmmmm... well i'm trailering the car up there, so I can bring the xpipe with me to see what happens.

I have another option of just unclamping my mufflers from the xpipe (told you it was ghetto!) and clamping turndowns onto that. Hrmmm.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 PM

I dont know why you arent running 5" truck stacks like all the 10 second guys are

-Dustin-
Old 11-25-2008, 11:33 PM

Final decision was to pull the mufflers off the xpipe and put turndowns on the end of the xpipe.

It sounds ridiculous...

Track tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:52 PM

post back with results!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Banned

it wont run any faster...
at least mine doesn't...open pipes or dual 3" with bullets, it runs the same.

Open headers are too loud and gets old quick
Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by mdacton
it wont run any faster...
at least mine doesn't...open pipes or dual 3" with bullets, it runs the same.

Open headers are too loud and gets old quick
I just did it for cheap ground clearance.

It's too loud... not running open headers, but just the xpipe with turndowns.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
I just did it for cheap ground clearance.

It's too loud... not running open headers, but just the xpipe with turndowns.
we have tried it on several different cars and they never picked up a huge ammount being opened up..

Quick Reply: Turndowns vs. an X-pipe.... power-wise..