LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Turn key, no crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 07:02 PM

Turn key, no crank

Over the winter I've removed my airbags, power seats, radio and speakers, and cruise control. I'm turning the car into a road course car. However, today when I went to start it for the first time I turned the key and all my accessories powered up, lights on the IP turned on, fuel pump powered up, etc. In the start position I don't hear a thing. I don't think my battery is the culprit since I get the same thing even using a plug in jump starter.

I have to wonder if something I disconnected also has to carry a voltage to allow the starter to get a voltage. The cruise control module that I disconnected is near the driver's side headlight. Does that operate anything else?

How do I check the clutch safety switch? For instance, it's acting exactly like I don't have the clutch depressed enough.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have a track day in 3 weeks and I really don't want to miss it.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:07 PM

I would think it would be the clutch safety switch...Guy I work with was stuck in a parking lot after work because of that. Everything would light up but it wouldn't crank.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:11 PM

hey mike,

i'd start to make sure you haven't blown a fuse......

also... some cables inside the shifter assembly tell the car what gear its in so you can use the starter...that why you can't start in drive...

make sure those okay and then check to see if power is going to the starter..

i recently installed a push button starter switch and i'm almost positive that the starters power runs on its own relays and stuff. nothing is connected to it... so i dont think removing your air bags and stuff had anything to do with it...

good luck
Old 03-16-2003, 07:14 PM

happened to me, starter went out
Old 03-16-2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by 1994TransAm
also... some cables inside the shifter assembly tell the car what gear its in so you can use the starter...that why you can't start in drive...
Now this intrigues me. I have a 6 speed. Isn't yours an automatic? However, I did disconnect all the wires going to the shifter, parking brake area. They're zip tied behind the dash right now. I've pulled out all my interior, center console, etc. I thought with a 6 speed the computer didn't need to know what gear it was in. That's what the clutch safety switch is for. Maybe I'm wrong?

How do I check the clutch safety switch?

I hate electrical problems.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by ibanez6rg
I would think it would be the clutch safety switch...Guy I work with was stuck in a parking lot after work because of that. Everything would light up but it wouldn't crank.
I just looked through my Haynes manual and it leads me to believe if the clutch safety switch goes out, then you can start the engine without having to depress the clutch. Anyone know for sure?

It gives no way of checking the switch operation, other than if the engine will start without having to depress the clutch, the safety switch is not working. My problem is just the opposite.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:50 PM

If you want to bypass the clutch switch, find the connector on the switch on the clutch pedal that has the yellow and brown wires in it. Pull it off and connect the terminals of the harness connector together (use a paper clip or something).

You did not remove the theft deterrent module, did you? It is under the dash, to the right of the radio, attached to the air bag bracket. It has a 16 cavity connector, but not all cavites are populated.

Does the security lamp light up when you first turn the key ON?
Old 03-17-2003, 06:47 AM

Hmm, I don't remember removing anything to the right of the radio that was attached to the airbag bracket. There are 2 gray boxes to the right of the glovebox that were attached to the airbag bracket. They are now ziptied behind my glovebox.

My security light does not flash when I turn the key to the start position.

I'll try the clutch switch tonight.

Thanks.

Just to make sure, the cruise control module behind the driver's side headlight couldn't have anything to do with this could it?
Old 03-17-2003, 07:36 AM

What I meant was, the security lamp should come on (not flash) for about 5 seconds when you turn the key to ON. That tells you that system is operational.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:23 PM

I don't see a light come on the dash that says "Security". Is it a different word?

The diagram in the Haynes manual for the clutch safety switch does not look like what is in my car. I squeezed myself under there and see a yellow and what appears to be a brown wire going to a plug. The plug is above my clutch pedal and closer to the firewall. The yellow wire seems to have some broken strands in it and part of the insulation is opened up. I'll try to disconnect it and jumper it with a paperclip. Perhaps I've found my problem.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:37 PM

Talking

if it don't crank then you probably got a killer after you! Watch Out!! heh heh
Old 03-17-2003, 09:39 PM

I checked all my fuses on the driver's side panel just inside the door and all of them have 12V running to them with the key on. The crank fuse has 12V running to it when I turn the key to the start position.

I took out my IP to check the "Security" bulb and it doesn't look like it's burned out. I switched it with my Skip Shift bulb since I know that one works and still no Security light when I turn the key on. I've taken out my glovebox and am looking for anything on that side I might have disconnected that could disable my VATS system.

As a reminder, over the winter I removed my driver and passenger side airbag and radio. I also disconnected the harness that went to the center console and my passenger side power seat since both are now out of the car.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-18-2003, 12:18 AM

maybe the ignition switch went.. check that
same thing happened to mine when mine went...
hope it helps lata
Old 03-18-2003, 12:26 AM

I see nothing unplugged on the passenger side.

I checked the "crank" fuse on the driver's side inside the door on the side of the dash and it gets 10mV when the key is in the run position and 12V when the key is in the start position. I think that tells me my ignition switch is OK. I also hear one faint click when I turn the key to the start position. I think the click is coming from under the hood.

Since my security light never comes on I keep on coming back to VATs.

Has anyone used the PCMForLess programming with VATs removed? Will this cure my problem?

Help?
Old 03-18-2003, 10:25 PM

Well, for future reference the theft deterent module on a Firebird is screwed to the airbag module. When I removed the pass. side airbag I removed the theft deterrent module unwittingly. I unscrewed it from the bracket tonight and plugged it back in and voila, the car started. Wahoo!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Quick Reply: Turn key, no crank