LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Trick Flow heads... will these work for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 01:41 AM

Question Trick Flow heads... will these work for me?

Summit is selling Trick Flow heads; assembled for $1289 in the catalog I got with my package today. The thing is that they say:
These Trick Flow aluminum LT1 cylinder heads are designed for supercharged, nitrous, and stroker applications. They feature 195cc intake ports, 75cc exhaust ports, and 64cc combustion chambers. These heads use your stock sensors and fittings. They're available in both bare and assembled versions. Assembled heads include intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, retainers, locks, guideplates, and studs.
So does this mean that it wouldn't be a good idea to throw these heads on my otherwise stock motor, and a cam? I have plans to possibly get a Vortech or Procharger in the future, but I would probably just be running with heads and cam for a year or so.

Here is the catalog page for them, although the displayed price is slightly higher. Okay experts, what do you think about these things? What cam should I run, assuming these heads would be a good buy in the first place? Would I lose power off idle? What kind of power do you estimate? ect...

Thanks Oh and just because I'm sure it will be recommended by someone, I had originally planned (years ago) to get AFR 190s, but these are quite a bit cheaper, and from what I've heard they are good heads.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:53 AM

Re: Trick Flow heads... will these work for me?

I've seen AFR 195s assembled for 1285$.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by 91Z-28
I've seen AFR 195s assembled for 1285$.
Really? Where's that?
Old 11-19-2005, 01:58 AM

Tried sending you a PM, but your inbox is full. That is 1285 shipped too by the way.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:04 AM

Tried sending you a PM, but your inbox is full. That is 1285 shipped too by the way.
Yeah, my supporting member status expired

You can send me an email at nateca@gmail dot com I'd appreciate it brother
Old 11-19-2005, 02:04 AM

Nevermind, I was looking at the sbc chevy ones instead, they are 1700 shipped. Damn you LT1 guys get hosed.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:20 AM

Nevermind, I was looking at the sbc chevy ones instead, they are 1700 shipped. Damn you LT1 guys get hosed.
Yeah... Damn our reverse flow cooling.

I know the AFRs are quite a bit more expensive; 1700 is cheap compared to the prices in the 2 year old AFR catalog I have. I was looking at $2300+ in there.

That's why I'm trying to find out if these particular Trick Flow heads would make for a good combination on my no-power-adder motor.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:27 AM

I just found an article showing Trick flow heads at 250 cfm at .500 lift, not too shabby. The bottom level AFR 195s are 260 cfm so I'd say that is a good compromise.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:42 AM

Email sent.........I was considering AFR vs Trick flow as well, but with sbc the price difference is like 100$. With the AFRs though I'd be paying +100 for bigger springs, +250 for an angle mill down to 58cc. With the trick flow I could just get 62cc and use a super thin gasket to maintain compression.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:18 AM

save your money we got a set in and they flowed 20 more cfm than stock lt1 heads which by rule of thimb is 20 hp. save up or put the 1200 into porting the stock castings also with those heads you will loose compression so you wont gain anything but will loose power

those are for stroker or blower motors cause on a stock block your compression will go down to 9.1
Old 11-19-2005, 05:21 AM

I just found an article showing Trick flow heads at 250 cfm at .500 lift, not too shabby. The bottom level AFR 195s are 260 cfm so I'd say that is a good compromise.
stock lt1 heads flow 230! not good at all the edelbrock flow in the 260 cfm though we tested a set on our flow bench but have little valves
Old 11-19-2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by amean94ta
save your money we got a set in and they flowed 20 more cfm than stock lt1 heads which by rule of thimb is 20 hp. save up or put the 1200 into porting the stock castings also with those heads you will loose compression so you wont gain anything but will loose power

those are for stroker or blower motors cause on a stock block your compression will go down to 9.1
Okay thanks for the info. I definitely wouldn't want to lose compression unless I was boosting. Why in the hell would a stroker motor benefit from lower compression?

Anyway, a 20hp gain from $1300 would **** me right off.

I'll probably go with those $1700 AFR 195s.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Banned

BTW, I looked into this exact question recently, because I DO plan on supercharging later on. I was therefore thinking that I could possibly bolt a set of trickflows on NOW and even if I didn't gain much, no big deal because I was going to buy them anyway.

Turns out that I'm likely to LOSE power if I bolt it onto a stock bottom end, even if I use higher ratio roller rockers to increase lift.

The big issue for me comes to two factors.

I have Iron heads and already have thin gaskets. If I use the TF heads, I lose heat energy by going to aluminum (which normally needs an extra point in compression to make up for the loss.), and I lose about a point in compression. So it would be like going from 10.5:1 to 8.5:1 compression.

Plus of course, the heads are too damn big for a stock bottom end.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:18 AM

For my 388 stroker my engine builder is using a set of trick flow heads. He ordered them with just a 45 degree cut so he could work them from there on his own. He is happy with the casting though. Not sure of the flow numbers yet that he got after he did the valve job on them, but I know he was happy with them out of the box. He had a contact at AFR, but there was a couple of things he wanted different than the out-of-the-box castings and they said it would be about 8 weeks to get them. He got the trick flow's in two.

On my stroker we are still fighting 11.5 to 1 compression and trying to get that down some. I will try to update this thread to let you know of my own experience with the heads. Hopefully it will help you in your selection.

I think the main reason they say it's for strokers, nitrous or blowers is because of the size of the chambers, I believe 64cc.

If you are not doing anything internally I don't know if it's the right head or not. Even Trick Flows reps will tell you this is not the head for a mostly stock motor. Maybe porting the stock heads would be best. I'll try to keep you updated.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:18 AM

For my 388 stroker my engine builder is using a set of trick flow heads. He ordered them with just a 45 degree cut so he could work them from there on his own. He is happy with the casting though. Not sure of the flow numbers yet that he got after he did the valve job on them, but I know he was happy with them out of the box. He had a contact at AFR, but there was a couple of things he wanted different than the out-of-the-box castings and they said it would be about 8 weeks to get them. He got the trick flow's in two.

On my stroker we are still fighting 11.5 to 1 compression and trying to get that down some. I will try to update this thread to let you know of my own experience with the heads. Hopefully it will help you in your selection.

I think the main reason they say it's for strokers, nitrous or blowers is because of the size of the chambers, I believe 64cc.

If you are not doing anything internally I don't know if it's the right head or not. Even Trick Flows reps will tell you this is not the head for a mostly stock motor. Maybe porting the stock heads would be best. I'll try to keep you updated.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...84_40_full.jpg

Last edited by jerrysta; 11-19-2005 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Trick Flow heads... will these work for me?