LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Which Tranny Cooler???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 08:30 PM

Which Tranny Cooler???

I'm going to be installing a Midwest 2800 stall torque converter some time next week or so, but everyone has been telling me I need a tranny cooler. What kind should I get that's the most bang for the buck? I really don't want to spend more than $60. What do you recommend?
Old 05-18-2003, 09:20 PM

Hayden 24,000 Napa auto $50
Old 05-18-2003, 10:12 PM

I went ot pep-boys and picked up an RV trans cooler. I know our cars run hot and how they rate them is engine displacement. I think the smaller cooler was cars and other engines with I think up to 5.5 or so liters. So I picked the overkill larger next size up and it is badass. It is all aluminum in construction and has lowerd the temp of my tranny substantially. It is a lot more firm and reliable when it comes to shifts.

Cheers
Old 05-18-2003, 10:15 PM

I got a B&M supercooler from Summit for around $40 it think.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:15 PM

I bought the B&M Tranny cooler. Easy install and works great, and it comes with everything needed to put it in

U can pick it up for $50 at www.ls1speed.com and www.summitracing.com has it too.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:43 PM

I was wondering if the B&M cooler is brushed aluminum or if it si steel? they looked black and most black coolers are steel. I have two of those sitting around my house too....

If anyone wants a deal on a regular trans cooler pulled from 88 IROC let me know.

LAter guys

Old 05-19-2003, 12:07 AM

i second the hayden
Old 05-19-2003, 01:33 AM

I got my Hayden #1405 26,000 GVW for $35.00

http://www.bulkpart.com/cgi-bin/miva...y_Code=Coolers

Hope it helps ...
Old 05-19-2003, 01:58 AM

Just to mention as i guess you could say added protection, don't be afraid to mount in right in front of the nice big primary fan. I did and also picked up a slp fan switch shortly after. Even on those hot days sitting in traffic you can keep the tranny cooler too.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:18 AM

After my 160 thermo, trans cooler and HPP III my engine never gets over 185 degrees even sitting in hot summer traffic!

My engine has been running so much better including gas milage I was going ot do the fan mod but if you get a reprogram you don't even need it. Your computer handes everything
Old 05-19-2003, 07:52 AM

Are tranny coolers a pain to install? It seems like they can be tedious.

What does GVW mean? What does it do, and does it matter what size it is?

Last edited by TaylnStorm; 05-19-2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:56 PM

ttt
Old 05-19-2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by WheelmanZ28
I bought the B&M Tranny cooler. Easy install and works great, and it comes with everything needed to put it in

U can pick it up for $50 at www.ls1speed.com and www.summitracing.com has it too.

hey wheelman where did you mount your cooler do you have any pics?
Old 05-19-2003, 01:27 PM

Hey guys do it this way and you will get the best results. Use the supplied sticky pads that the kit comes with.

Stick those on the cooler and push the straps from the front just poking through enough.

Now pick the best spot for your trans cooler right in front of everything right up under the air dam. I think that makes it in front of the A/C condensor.... Passenger side is the best.

Make sure it is in the exact place you want it and stuff those straps through everything. It will feel like your hurting your radiator/condesor but your not. Make sure they are lined up right and throw those zip downs on there. Make sure it is nice and snug in all four places. and snip off the access with a small pair of dikes.

Run the lines sideways towards the passenger side of the car.

There is a small black panel over there that simply pulls forward.
Now you can stuff your lines right through there and push the black panel back in place like it was made for it!

All the lines for the trans are on the passenger side so now it is a matter of simply trimming to fit and sugging everything up.

Viola! It is a neat and simple way to mount the thing. The hoses are the absolute shortest they can be and they don't even poke out anywhere. If anyone wants pictures I haven't taken any but I guess I could....

You will need a way to put two hoses together so before you start get one of those barbed hose connectors. And also before you start remember to take off the upper radiator shroud and wiggle the fans loose but you can leave them there. You only need to move them around a bit.

Old 05-19-2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by americanmusscle
hey wheelman where did you mount your cooler do you have any pics?
I mounted mine on the passenger side, right in front of the radiator. This is the best recommended spot. I personally don't have any pics right now, but if u go to the webpage of this boards moderator, brent franker (brent94Z i think??) he has good pics and tips on the install. I got all my information from his page for the installation.

Quick Reply: Which Tranny Cooler???