LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Track this weekend...good and bad news

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 12:38 AM

Track this weekend...good and bad news

Well I got a new street tires best as you can see from my sig. But every run this weekend, at the top end of the track (around 5 grand in 3rd gear) the car wouldn't rev up and actually went down in rpm's then up a little then down then up a little. It was very weird and only happened at the top end. My first guess is either a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump. I'm running the stocker fuel pump and I've never changed (or even looked at) my fuel filter. Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? I know the car will trap 114-115 if it doesn't stop acclerating 150 feet from the end of the track. It almost feels like valvefloat but I know that's not it in this case.

Another problem...I just had my tranny rebuilt and it shifts wonderfully 1-2. The 2-3 shift however revs up in between the shift almost to 6500 before it finally shifts. The actually shiftpoint is around 6000 (69 mph on a 3.73 a4 is around 6000 I think). I have cheapo meijer brand tranny fluid in it now only because I just finished the car the night before the race and only place open w/ fluid was meijers. Should I switch to a good fluid and then worry about the 2-3 shift or is there definitly a problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would have got runs on et streets but by the time I perfected shift points and raised the rev limiter I found a darn stable in my brand new et street!!! I did cut a 1.71 60ft and all low 1.7's on the other 3 runs I actually launched on them. The times were horrible though because of the shifting / hitting rev limiter problems that I've fixed all now except 2-3 shift revving too high.

Edit: My friend just suggested that maybe it's the tranny that's causing the problem w/ the top of 3rd gear. I'm not sure.

Last edited by ltlhomer; 07-28-2003 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:45 AM

How often do you change your tranny fluid....If its not very often then more than likely I would think you have the same issues I had after changing the fluids.....Slips like No other....Like before it would bark second No it will not...and the 2-3 shifts bangs limiter @WOT
Been told I am gonna be needing a rebuild before to long....because the it is gonna slip way too mucha nd cause premature wear....

When you change the fluid on a trans that has not had regular service what happens is this. The fluid breaks down and loses lubricating propertys. This is slow over time so you do not notice it. When you do a filter change now you have fresh supply of fluid with lubrication and pressure agents so the trans seems to shift softer. The longer the trans goes without regular service the more the clutches wear and burnish the surface of the clutch material. The new clutches can no longer withstand the prolong shift time a fail quickly
Old 07-28-2003, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just try a good brand of fluid just to check it out and if I still have a problem I'll have to call the tranny shop and see what they say.

Anyone have any ideas about the fuel problems at the top of 3rd?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:34 PM

I had the same problems with a car I ran down the track, I thought it was tranny