LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

TPIS Happy Hooker: A+

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Thumbs up TPIS Happy Hooker: A+

If you don't know what it is, click here

If you need to pull your motor from the top, you need one of these

After fighting my first LT1 from the top a while back, I decided to give this thing a try. Without it, I pulled one with the intake removed and a chain running diagonal betwwen the cylinder heads. Pulling it this way was a nightmare as we could never get the right angle for it to come out smoothly with the trans attached.

I bought the happy hooker several months ago, but just got a chance to use it last night. I would have taken some pics, but it came out so fast I totally forgot to grab my camera

It bolts to the top of the intake, which made me nervous at first, but all went well. With the trans attached, this thing angles an LT1 perfectly to come out from the top. I assure you that from the time I pulled out the two motor mount bolts to the time the engine was completely out of the car was no longer than 3 minutes

Anyone in my area (Wichita, KS) that wants to give this thing a try, let me know

Last edited by Colin91Z; 04-10-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:01 AM

Ive been using one for about 2 years. It so easy to pull out the top I dont know why people drop the k member. I usually dont even take the hood off the car.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Thats why I'm happy I bought one from a board member for 25 bucks.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Damn I thought you were going to say you put your new motor in with it.
I'm glad it helps make going in/out the top easier because its a PITA. Out the bottom is the way to go.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Damn I thought you were going to say you put your new motor in with it.
Funny you mention that...It's next on my to do list, so very soon young Jedi

Originally Posted by Z95m6
I'm glad it helps make going in/out the top easier because its a PITA. Out the bottom is the way to go.
In this situation, out the bottom was not an option because this car couldn't stay at the place where we pulled the engine. So it had to be able to roll when we were done.

Honestly, now that I have a Happy Hooker, I don't think I'll ever take another one out the bottom unless its on a lift. This thing made it too easy....

Last edited by Colin91Z; 04-10-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
Funny you mention that...It's next on my to do list, so very soon young Jedi
If you need a hand with this just let me know.

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
In this situation, out the bottom was not an option because this car couldn't stay at the place where we pulled the engine. So it had to be able to roll when we were done.

Honestly, now that I have a Happy Hooker, I don't think I'll ever take another one out the bottom unless its on a lift. This thing made it too easy....
I'm just harassing you Colin. I bet that Happy Hooker works good as i've heard a lot about it. I've helped on one install from the top with out one and I'd never do that again. It took more time for him to get his LT headers installed and his plugs back in than it took to get my motor in from the bottom and running.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 PM

Ok I will, Thanks man
Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 AM

Someone told me about that a while back; I've been meaning to order one.
Thanks for the link
Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Someone told me about that a while back; I've been meaning to order one.
Thanks for the link
No prob, you'll be glad that you did

This is a fairly old thread, I've used this thing several more times since I made this thread, I still swear by it if taking it out the bottom is not an option
Old 08-26-2008, 04:55 PM

damn i was planning on dropping mine out the bottom but now you got me thinking about out the top i can't make up my mind
Old 08-26-2008, 07:41 PM

I've been a happy hooker advocate for a while. It is the best bang for the buck tool purchase I've made in my 30+ years of buying quality tools.

(I'm a Snap on ***** but the TPIS hooker rocks)
Old 08-27-2008, 04:15 AM

I bought one about 7 years ago, and it has gotten plenty of use. Never tried to pull the trans too, though. The instructions say to remove it, and I took their word for it. Still easy, though. One of the best tool purchases I have made, and it will work on anything with a single 4-barrel intake, too.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:27 AM

So would you guys opt to use the happy hooker instead of a lift? I pulled the motor once out the bottom with a lift (and can use it again if I need to) and it was fairly straight forward, but bleeding the brakes, charging the AC kinda sucks. Been considering another cam/head swap and not sure if I wanna go out the bottom or through the top.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 6Speed
So would you guys opt to use the happy hooker instead of a lift? I pulled the motor once out the bottom with a lift (and can use it again if I need to) and it was fairly straight forward, but bleeding the brakes, charging the AC kinda sucks. Been considering another cam/head swap and not sure if I wanna go out the bottom or through the top.
The HH is a great product and makes things alot easier for those of us that don't have access to a lift, but IMO if you have access to a lift then taking it out the bottom is still easier.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:08 PM

Question Re: TPIS Happy Hooker: A+

Guys:

I know this thread was originally posted right about ten (10) years ago, but, I'm currently in the market for a used TPIS Happy Hooker.

Any of you still have your Happy Hooker ..... and want to get rid of it?

Let me know!

Quick Reply: TPIS Happy Hooker: A+