LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Think I Lost Alot Of Power With Exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 09:47 AM

Think I Lost Alot Of Power With Exhaust!!!

ok, i just posted a thread the other day about how i got my SLP loudmouth on. well its been raining since it was on, so i havent really gotten a chance to "get on it" yet, but i have slightly got into the throttle a couple of times and its feels like i have lost alot of power

i have gutted cats too and im thinking that since my motor is basically stock other than CAI and free mods, that it needs some backpressure. i think it may be "too open" right now. i reall like the way it sounds, but it just feels like it lost alot of power.

anybody else ever experienced this??

im thinking ill wait til it dries up, really get on it some, and if its like i think it will be, ill prolly get just flowmaster to put where the resegnator is now. that ought to add some back pressure.

any suggestions??

jon
Old 02-15-2003, 09:51 AM

Honestly you might lose some lower end torque, but it'll be minimal if you indeed lose any. Theres no reason you should lose any power from going to that exhaust, go get on out and see how it feels.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:57 AM

It may feel like you lost a little low end torque, but if you were to run at the track or dyno, you'd see the exhaust added horsepower. I felt the same way when I first got my cutout, but after I tested it at the track I realized it was worth it.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:26 AM

I have the LM on my car too, I didn't really see much of a difference one way or the other. I "felt" more of a performance difference with the addition of the cold air induction. As for replacing the resonator with a muffler, I doubt you'll will find the clearance for the Flowmaster, your best choice is to go with a 4 inch round muffler (Dynomax Bullit), there are others that people have used successfully, Borla XR-1 as well as 5 and even 6 inch round mufflers, although the bigger mufflers may require some hammer work to the underside of the car (for clearance). I plan on getting the Bullit for mine, for more info do a searce for "dynomouth" on the LS1 board.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:37 AM

well, I felt the same thing, but I'm pretty sure its just an illusion. like with the stock exhaust, i'd floor it, then wait a fsecond for the motor to trip over itself and then get a big kick in the *** that threw you back. with the intake/exhaust, it feels alot smoother all the way through and you don't get that big kick. BUT, if you're lookin at your speedo stock vs. aftermarket exhaust, you can tell that you're accelerating faster... and mine will still put down 50 feet of tread marks with no problem and chirp the tires on the shifts so I know i'm not actually out of torque
Old 02-15-2003, 10:52 AM

Location: Albuquerque,NM--5,600 feet above you sea-level cats
Mine felt the same way when I put on the Borla as my first mod. Took it to the track and the times were the same. Don't worry about it.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Black bow tie
I have the LM on my car too, I didn't really see much of a difference one way or the other. I "felt" more of a performance difference with the addition of the cold air induction. As for replacing the resonator with a muffler, I doubt you'll will find the clearance for the Flowmaster, your best choice is to go with a 4 inch round muffler (Dynomax Bullit), there are others that people have used successfully, Borla XR-1 as well as 5 and even 6 inch round mufflers, although the bigger mufflers may require some hammer work to the underside of the car (for clearance). I plan on getting the Bullit for mine, for more info do a searce for "dynomouth" on the LS1 board.

the flowmaster 40 series 2 chmber is only 4in thick. so ground clearance wont really be a problem. and i think the width will be ok too. im going to do a little more precise measuring (so far ive just got under there and guestamated) but i think i would work if i decide to do that.

i think when it dries up i might run a friend who i know i usually beat by a certain amount and see what happens. that should give me some idea of whether its lost, gained, or whatever.

and by the sound of things it might not get dry for a while. its raining now and i just heard on the radio that theres a winter storm advisory through Sun. their talking AT LEAST 8in.

i hate the winter

jon
Old 02-15-2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by KeVMaN
well, I felt the same thing, but I'm pretty sure its just an illusion. like with the stock exhaust, i'd floor it, then wait a fsecond for the motor to trip over itself and then get a big kick in the *** that threw you back. with the intake/exhaust, it feels alot smoother all the way through and you don't get that big kick. BUT, if you're lookin at your speedo stock vs. aftermarket exhaust, you can tell that you're accelerating faster... and mine will still put down 50 feet of tread marks with no problem and chirp the tires on the shifts so I know i'm not actually out of torque

YEA!! thats exactly what i am talking about. im waiting for it to kick down and really put you back in the seat, but it doesnt do that anymore. its definitly more "smooth" now

i hope your right!!!

jon
Old 02-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Administrator

The torque is moved higher in to power band so you need to push the pedal further to find it. When you find it however, there is more of it there then there was before.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:19 PM

You'll be fine with that exhaust, dont worry.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:24 PM

I'm suprised no one has mentioned this yet. Do you have a LT4 Knock Modual?

Your new loud exhaust could be reverberating all the way up to the block, and the knock sensor could be picking up false knock. Then it'll dial in timing retard. Which could explain why you feel less power.

If you haven't gotten one yet, go to a local chevy dealer and pick up part number 16214681. It'll be around $35 bucks, and take 10 minutes to install.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Kain
I'm suprised no one has mentioned this yet. Do you have a LT4 Knock Modual?

Your new loud exhaust could be reverberating all the way up to the block, and the knock sensor could be picking up false knock. Then it'll dial in timing retard. Which could explain why you feel less power.

If you haven't gotten one yet, go to a local chevy dealer and pick up part number 16214681. It'll be around $35 bucks, and take 10 minutes to install.
hrm, I never thought about that
Old 02-15-2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by KeVMaN
hrm, I never thought about that
My friend delt with a wide open Borla (he had a cat on though) with no LT4 KM, he finally put on Hooker LT's and his timing was all over the place. I threw in his LT4 KM and he felt immediate results.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:53 PM

I used to have a Borla on my '94 Z28 A4, and when I had the biggest opening insert (wide open), the car would not bark the tires going into 2nd at full throttle. If I put the block-off plate in (no hole), it would easily bark second. You definitely do loose low-end torque with a free-flowing exhaust. My car was otherwise stock at the time.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:11 PM

Wait until you get headers. You will think the same thing as you are now. I thought I lost power when i got my cutout but track times made me realize. Before my headers i had just a Flowmaster catback, no cat, and a cutout. I ran 9.2's with the cutout closed and ran 8.9's with it open. I had to adjust my launching because of the tq being up more rpms than usually. I think the reason you feel like you lose power when you go with a bigger exhaust is because the torque band moves up in rpms. Instead of feeling torque right off the line with stock or near catback you feel it at about 3k rpms with an open exhaust. Maybe thats why it doesnt just kick you in the seat right off the line. Give the loudmouth a while and you'll realize mid and top end power you gained. Or just race someone you usually race. Then you'll see

Quick Reply: Think I Lost Alot Of Power With Exhaust!!!