LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Thanks Thunder Racing, Racetronix and Walbro!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Re: Thanks Thunder Racing, Racetronix and Walbro!

See...now everyone has gotten thier word in on the situation.
Allot better than bashing, and throwing tantrums and jumping to conclussions.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:25 PM

I think this also proves another point about aftermarket parts failures and complaints on this board. That most problems relate to human error or oversight on installation that often gets blamed on a faulty product from the vendor.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Racetronix

This is why we recommend people read the Racetronix instructions.

Spent $250 on the pump and harness.
Disassemble back half of car to install pump.
Reassemble back half of car.
System won't hold pressure.
Called Thunder, they offered to send pump back to Racetronix for testing. Couldn't wait that long.
Bought another new pump.
Disassembled back half of car again.
Reinstalled new pump.
Reassembled back half of car, again.
System still wouldn't hold pressure.
Emailed Racetronix.
Racetronix: "Did you read the instructions?"
PRICELESS! There weren't instructions with either pump!

Thunder Racing offered to help all they could. Racetronix replied to my inquiries immediately and has an excellent product that I would recommend to anyone.

Just wish the instructions had been with the first pump.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:50 PM

Where can I find the instructions? My pump and harness are still in the box on the kitchen table and it's well below freezing so I would rather read instructions a couple times in the warm house before I put tools together in the cold and start turning wrenches....
Old 12-15-2005, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jim D
Where can I find the instructions? My pump and harness are still in the box on the kitchen table and it's well below freezing so I would rather read instructions a couple times in the warm house before I put tools together in the cold and start turning wrenches....
We have been bundling manuals with our FLT1 systems since the spring.
If for some reason you don't have them email support@racetronix.com for a copy in Adobe Acrobat format.

PS. Many people e-mail us and say can you send me a manual but they don't say for what. Our ESP is kind of rusty so the more info you send us the first time around the quicker you will get what you need.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:05 PM

Cool, I emailed the support address you posted in another thread on this board, just waiting for the reply and continuing to search here...

Thanks for answering up though, its pretty late to be working...or do you still enjoy hotrodding enough that this isn't "work" for you? Anyway, thanks for the input.

As for including details, I forwarded the email that "sales@racetronix" sent me showing the kit that I purchased...I figure that part number was what I got so it didn't leave anything up in the air (no ESP required, I hope). That also shows my name and address, but not my phone number, should have included that too but I didn't think of it.

I really like the way the parts were packaged. I bought injectors and the pump+harness upgrade kit. The only thing I really am not looking forward to is the cold weather install....

I just noticed one little detail. You said you have been bundling FLT1 systems with manuals, I bought an FL98 system.
Racetronix RX-FL98-GSS340M-FPKG - L98 F-body GSS307M Fuel Pump System

I am putting the LT1 (with upgrades) into an 86 IROC so got the pump systme for the third gen...assuming it would mate up with the pick up and tank better that way. Let me know if I am wrong about that...

Last edited by Jim D; 12-15-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 PM

Harris Speedworks is located in PA if you have reservations about the performing the installation yourself.
thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 11:46 PM

There is nothing wrong with your pump, you made the same mistake alot of people did. If you put the flex tube directly on the metal line and clamped it off ( IT WILL NOT SEAL) . As soon as you get a new vaculock fitting on it will seal great. I made the same mistake and spent alot of time cheaking every part of the fuel system/ contacting people to figure out why my car still took a long time to crank over. As far as the pumps that Racetronix sells they are very good quality. Sounds like after large amounts of people have had trouble installing them they went ahead and put a new vaculock fitting on the flex tube to avoid any confusion. I think all after market parts should come with install instructions if they differ in anyway from the stock parts. just my .o2 cents
Old 12-16-2005, 01:48 AM

i don't know. i have spent a decent amount of money with thunder racing, and will continue to do so. they have always done well and then some for me.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by camarokid24
There is nothing wrong with your pump, you made the same mistake alot of people did. If you put the flex tube directly on the metal line and clamped it off ( IT WILL NOT SEAL) . As soon as you get a new vaculock fitting on it will seal great. I made the same mistake and spent alot of time cheaking every part of the fuel system/ contacting people to figure out why my car still took a long time to crank over.
Thanks for the reply!!!
I believe you may have the most likely cause of the problem posted so far.
I connected mine that way because, as I said, the original connector was too brittle to save and a replacement was not furnished. I had no other choice since I only had a limited time to get the install finished. I didn't like that connection but I work 2 jobs 7 days and needed my car going then. The instructions {that were not included with my pump} obviously instructed the installer to use the original connector since a new one was not furnished, but I feel like that is asking a little much from a plastic part that is going to be several years old simply because these pumps are designed for the LT1 F-Body which has not been produced for 8 years and more.

Originally Posted by mike 96 ws6
And the kit I recieved had no connector to adapt the flexible pump output line to the appropriate fitting therefore using a hose clamp to connect the flexline to a fitting designed for a OE type dissconnect was required. Although it holds pressure for now, this is not an acceptable means of making that connection in my book.

In my opinion, someone who has no clue about car repairs would, after reading this thread, be under the impression that this install requires extensive experience and tech knowledge. On the other hand, someone with 30 years of experience in the auto repair feild would not classify it as a difficult, nor as a high tech preceedure. And someone with 30 years experience would likely find it odd that this install kit did not include a new {probably $.50} connector to assure a good seal at the most crucial seal point.

I think I'll try to find out where I can get the correct connector to install before I go looking for dirt and istallation errors.
Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:53 PM

BTW. In earlier FLT1 systems the factory push-lock fitting was to be re-used. The flex-tube outlet I.D. was made for the enlarged barb on the push-lock fitting. It was not meant to be placed on the steel line. Kits manufactured after 10/05 have new push-lock fittings on them.
This fitting looks like it's going to be hard to find at retail parts suppliers. Is there any way I can order the fitting only from Racetronix? And how do I do so {part#, price ect.}?
Thanks for the help!
Old 12-18-2005, 06:51 PM

I would give jack a call at Racetronix and see if he can hook you up.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mike 96 ws6
This fitting looks like it's going to be hard to find at retail parts suppliers. Is there any way I can order the fitting only from Racetronix? And how do I do so {part#, price ect.}?
Thanks for the help!
Applies to me too, I have the pump kit sitting on my bench since early '05. So I need that fitting also, don't want to get partway into the install to find that the original fitting is worn out like the other guy.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by camarokid24
I would give jack a call at Racetronix and see if he can hook you up.
I would have already but I don't see a phone # on the Racetronix website. What is the phone #?
I just sent an e-mail to sales@racetronix.com about this issue...

Originally Posted by MachinistOne
Applies to me too, I have the pump kit sitting on my bench since early '05. So I need that fitting also, don't want to get partway into the install to find that the original fitting is worn out like the other guy.
You mean the other guy's don't you. I'm not the only one who has had a problem with installing the pump kits before they started including the connector.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:49 AM

I thought it was on there site but now that I look it isn't. I would call Thunder and ask them for the # they have to have it. Btw those vaculock clips really last a long time ,unless you bugger it up tring to disconnect it they are pretty tuff. Good luck

Quick Reply: Thanks Thunder Racing, Racetronix and Walbro!