LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Texas Speed Rumbler True Dual System...Whose got it/who knows about it

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 11:43 AM

Exclamation Texas Speed Rumbler True Dual System...Whose got it/who knows about it

A few months ago I installed Pacesetter LT's (Drag Race Style- meaning no AIR or EGR) and I then followed what everyone else was doing and installed the Summit Racing universal x-pipe system on my 96Z. I loved the way it sounded and performed, but I was never too crazy about the looks. It hung kind of low and i wasn't too crazy about the turnouts. Another thing I didnt like was going from 3" headers to 2.5" exhaust, I felt like I was losing a lot of power by doing that.

Anyways, I bottomed out on a bad speed bump the other day at the mall and ruined that whole true dual system. So I started looking around again and found that texas-speed actually makes a true dual x-pipe system with 18" bullet mufflers and turn-downs. This system is also 3" pipe. However, it is $419.99 so I want to make sure this is a good exhaust befoer I order it. Does anyone out there have this system on their car, especially with Pacesetter LT Headers? I'm afraid that the exhaust will be very low with the 3" piping.

I definitely want a true dual system with x-pipe, theres no way I would put on a y-pipe with a typical cat-back. True duals is the only option in my mind. The only other kind of system I can think of would be to have the exhaust exit on each side in front of the rear tires, but I dont think that would look that great without a custom body kit or something. Some people run true duals out UNDERNEATH the rear axle and then out under the back bumper like a typical exhaust system. I would never be brave enough to run exhaust pipes under my rear end. So I guess that just leaves me with the x-pipe with turn-downs or turn-outs.

So if any of you have experience, advice, or just anything with this texas-speed true dual rumbler exhaust system, please let me know because I have to do something SOON. My Z is out of commission right now without an exhaust so please people let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:02 PM

Re: Texas Speed Rumbler True Dual System...Whose got it/who knows about it

You won't find anyone with opinions because no one with an LT-x 4th gen has tried it yet. In fact they are not too sure it will fit. I was thinking about being the guinny pig but I dont think I have to money to blow on it right now. Give them a call they will talk to you and tell you what they think are the fitament problems.

Rich

Last edited by 94Formula/TA; 09-14-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:32 PM

haha so no one out there has even gotten it yet? I'm in the same boat as you, I dont feel like blowing close to $500 on something that might not even fit. Thanks for the warning. Anyone else got anything to say?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:05 PM

Maybe my wording was a little off. The rumbler was designed as a true dual system for the LSx 4th gens. The rumbler is very adjustable as it bolts up to most LS style long tubes. They believe the rumbler might fit an LTx 4th gen because of this adjustabililty but they wont say until it is actually tested.

Rich
Old 09-14-2004, 06:16 PM

Well I guess I'm willing to be a guinea pig....I thought about it today and theres no reason why it wouldn't fit. The only thing that might not go perfectly is the hangers in the back, but those still might, I'm not sure. I mean I cant think of why it wouldnt fit??
Old 09-14-2004, 08:45 PM

I hate saying it, but it sounds a bit expensive. I bought all the 3" pipe I needed for $12. Summit Universal x-pipe was $30 I think. Two 3" mandrel U bends were $15 each. I got Stainless steel Borla XS mufflers on it as well, they were $120 each. That is still less than their price, plus it was $85 to weld it all up. I had the muffler flanged so I could swap out to bullets, or no muffler and just the x if I wanted to. Bullets are WAAAAYYYY too loud for me. Borlas are quiet as stock I'd say, with a bit of resonation at idle. Also, I don't have tailpipes, they just come out at the muffler. I'll try and get pics up. I thought of converting to 2.5" and run OTA, but it doesn't seem worth it, since the lowest part of the exhaust is the header flanges.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by brain
I hate saying it, but it sounds a bit expensive. I bought all the 3" pipe I needed for $12. Summit Universal x-pipe was $30 I think. Two 3" mandrel U bends were $15 each. I got Stainless steel Borla XS mufflers on it as well, they were $120 each. That is still less than their price, plus it was $85 to weld it all up. I had the muffler flanged so I could swap out to bullets, or no muffler and just the x if I wanted to. Bullets are WAAAAYYYY too loud for me. Borlas are quiet as stock I'd say, with a bit of resonation at idle. Also, I don't have tailpipes, they just come out at the muffler. I'll try and get pics up. I thought of converting to 2.5" and run OTA, but it doesn't seem worth it, since the lowest part of the exhaust is the header flanges.
ditto all of that cept i dont have duals yet
but you can build your system for alot cheaper and not have to worry about whether or not it will end up fitting correctly (which i doubt cuz LSx drivers side header kicks way out to the side of the car where LTx headers point straight back)
Old 09-14-2004, 09:27 PM

If you want to build a custom mandrel bent true dual system that
goes over the axle you will have to spend some bucks. That's all
there is to it, unless of course you own a muffler shop.

IMO over the axle is the only way to go if you want to do it right.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by AdamZ1LE28
Some people run true duals out UNDERNEATH the rear axle and then out under the back bumper like a typical exhaust system. I would never be brave enough to run exhaust pipes under my rear end.

dont be skeeerd.

ive had my true duals under axle for 6 months now.
never bottomed out once or had any interference at all.
the lowest point on the entire system is where the header flange is, and nothing i can do about how low the header is.
i used an H-pipe because i prefer the sound, and used 2.5"
total cost was $350 at a custom shop, including the nice oval tips and bullet mufflers.
over the axle would be nice, but it would have cost me double that.

pic
check out that ground clearance.

another

i put the mufflers in the rear, and flanges right before the axle. that way i can unbolt both rear sections easily when i get to the track, and that will basically give me true duals dumping at the axle with no mufflers.
it also makes it easy to unbolt the rear before i put the car on a lift, so that the axle doesnt hang on the pipes.

Last edited by got_hp?; 09-15-2004 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:03 PM

interesting
Old 10-14-2004, 11:22 AM

Heh, my car is in the shop right now getting them welded up. But i got kinda raped on the charges, $380 and i had all the supplies minus about 4 ft of straight tubing and the parts they were bending. Luckily they are mandrel bending for that price. But still its only like 4 little s bends. And i am not going under the axle. Im dumping before the axle.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:12 PM

BMR makes a relocation bracket for the panhard bar so you can run true duals over the axle, for about $200.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:25 PM

I don't see what would be wrong with using a single 4". The Dick Harrel 2004 Camaro make 630hp, goes over the rear axle with a single 4" where it splits into 2 3" chambered mufflers. It would cost a hell of a lot less, and flows within a nat's a$$ of dual 3". Any muffler shop worth anything could do it.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:29 PM

Adam,

There is really no need to go with 3" piping for true duals as long as it's mandrel bent. On a near stock motor 3" will hurt low end pretty noticeably. I remember Robbie on here saying his buddy has a 3" true dual setup, and 6th gear is useless under 55mph or so. I don't know much about them, but you may want to look into Dr. Gas's X pipe or if you have the money, Lane's kit. I'm sure the Texas Speed could be made to fit, but you also have a guarantee with Lane's setup. I'm surprised the Summit kit didn't work out. Poorman has had good luck so far with his setup and has good clearance.

Jason
Old 10-14-2004, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mebanditws6
Adam,

There is really no need to go with 3" piping for true duals as long as it's mandrel bent. On a near stock motor 3" will hurt low end pretty noticeably. I remember Robbie on here saying his buddy has a 3" true dual setup, and 6th gear is useless under 55mph or so. I don't know much about them, but you may want to look into Dr. Gas's X pipe or if you have the money, Lane's kit. I'm sure the Texas Speed could be made to fit, but you also have a guarantee with Lane's setup. I'm surprised the Summit kit didn't work out. Poorman has had good luck so far with his setup and has good clearance.

Jason
I hope his car has a big cam. In my car I can cruise at 50 in 6th with true duals, and I have an 847 cam. Heck, with the stock cam, my car picked up over 30 ft/lbs at 2K rpms when I went to LTs and duals. Granted, I can't say with absolute certainty that with manifolds you wouldn't lose torque, but I don't see how. Ye old wives tale of backpressure is false methinks.