LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Tercell losing 2quarts of oil a week , but no oil leaks ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 10:38 AM

Tercell losing 2quarts of oil a week , but no oil leaks ?

Sorry for posting this here , I just have no clue where this oil is going . I Have to put in 2 qaurts of oil a week but there is not a single leak . Where would it be going ? Thanks for you'r time .
Ben
Old 01-30-2003, 11:01 AM

SOund like maybe you are burning oil. Only thing I can think of.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:46 AM

Hmm.....It's likely burning it. Get a friend to drive it past you and have them FLOOR it... if its burning oil, you'll see it black smoke ou tthe back!

My gf's 99 VW Jetta uses 2L+ of oil between oil changes, and I havent a clue where it all goes. She only has 60 000 KM on her car. I dont think it was broken in properly.....
Old 01-30-2003, 11:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Umbrae
[B]Hmm.....It's likely burning it. Get a friend to drive it past you and have them FLOOR it... if its burning oil, you'll see it black smoke ou tthe back!

Actually it is suppose to be blue smoke
Old 01-30-2003, 12:07 PM

I went out there and tried the flooring it ideal and it feels like it has no power . I mean I know they our no T/A or Z28's but it feels like it is really lacking power even for a tercell .

Ben
Old 01-30-2003, 12:19 PM

bad piston rings.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:24 PM

sounds like rings to me. i'm doing a toyota 4 runner right now. it's problem we thought was valve seals/guide because it poured blue smoke after sitting a while. turns out some jiffy lube place put some additive in on the oil change and what happened was it clogged the return passages from the heads. what a mess. i'm talkin solid packed burnt oil. after doing some research it seems toyota is rather picky about the type of oil. i wouldn't recommend strayed from what they say to use.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:57 PM

Blue smoke.... black smoke.. smoke of somekind out the back

Either way.... piston rings is likely what it is, like stated above by the other guys. That gutless feeling the car is giving you certainly would suggest rings.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:23 PM

Well the obvious answer is that the car is burning the oil.. Now either the valves are leaking or the rings are. If the car smokes alot on start up then it's probably the valves because they would allow the oil to flow into the chamber and puddle making for a big cloud when you turn the key. If it smokes on acceleration/underload then my vote goes to the rings. Also, you mention that the car lacks power which, as everyone else has said, is a sign that the rings may be bad and are therefore causing a loss in compression and consequently a loss of power. Check the plugs and see which ones are fouled - the cylinders with the fouled plugs are your problem cylinder(s) assuming of course that you do change the plugs on a regular basis and they should, therefore, be in good condition if everything in that cylinder is otherwise working as it should be. However, I've neither owned a tercel nor worked on one or even seen the engine... who knows.. maybe tubby is onto something. Have a compression test and a leakdown test done on each of the (I'm guessing here..) 4 cylinders . These tests are always good indicators of the health of the engine. I'd also bet that it is not worth repairing.. so either live with it or buy a new grocery getter/beater. I'd sell it since burning a bunch of oil is not really a good thing. After all this is a 4 stroke poweplant not a 2 stroke... the oil will gum up and clog up all sorts of stuff and create new problems. If you don't mind being an A$$hole unload the lemon onto some other sucker.. not that I condone this in any way because I know a lot of people who have been that sucker.

oh, and blue smoke indicates oil burning, black smoke indicates running rich (too much gas in the mixture), and white smoke is a result of burning water/coolant FYI.

Hope you get things sorted out
Old 01-30-2003, 05:08 PM

My families beater is doing the same thing. It is a 92 Tercel.

We had ours looked at and it needed a valve job really badly. All the gaskets and such were gone as well as burnt valve I believe.

Then all of that got fixed and it continued to leak/burn oil.
The seals were faulty and needed to replaced (luckily under warranyt).

Leaked/burned again. Now it is the rear main seal. So from my experience, Toyota gaskets are crap.

Good luck with yours, it seems like every gasket/seal in the engine is going in ours at 110K.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:53 PM

Hey I have a 90 tercel. I just rebuilt the engine on it. What a pain in the a**. My car has a carb and about 5 miles of vaccum lines so it was a pretty hard rebuild.

I bought a rebuild kit from Autozone and it came with rings, rod and main bearing, and gaskets.

It took me about a week and a half to rebuild. The engine is only a 1.5l so I didn't even use a engine lift. I just let it fall out the bottom. Here are a few
Pics
Old 01-30-2003, 07:47 PM
WP

this is an LT1 board so first you have to put a LT1 into that engine bay!,then ask questions!...
Old 01-30-2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Gripenfelter
bad piston rings.
My thoghts exactly. Do a compression test on that bad boy!
Old 01-30-2003, 08:19 PM

Just to let you know when I took my tercel's engine apart the bearing and ring looked really good, but the valve stem seals were pretty worn. The engine had 108k on it. You gotta remember our cars turn alot of revs which make parts wear out alot faster. Mine is at 3500 rpm going 70. Most likely you'll probably need to rebuild it or junk it. If I could do it all over again I would have never rebuilt it. Its not worth the time on a $1500 car.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:44 AM

Ben how you been?

Ben,
It sounds like you first problem is that you need to park that Tercel and start driving your beast. Problem solved.

Mike C.

Quick Reply: Tercell losing 2quarts of oil a week , but no oil leaks ?