LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

t-top conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 01:25 PM

You guys are going to ruin all the good hardtops. I love the smoother look of a hardtop. I wish my car was a hardtop.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:33 PM

You make a good point, my car is a 93 with a hard top and i don't see any 93's going around so i am curious is to how many GM actually made .My dad has a 93 v-6 camaro but other than his i have never seen another 93 camaro around here period. I wonder if GM made less in 93 than in later years?

Steve
Old 08-29-2003, 01:50 PM

I made a guide on how to do a T-top conversion after I did it to my hardtop.

http://members.fortunecity.com/gripe...onversion.html
Old 08-29-2003, 01:50 PM

It only took us about 6 hrs to finish it all.......it all goes by very quick until you get to the rear bracket fabrication. Just trying to convince you to go for it. its been the best mod i have even done to my car(appearence wise)
Old 08-29-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by 93 camaro ss
I relize that it is low and all but if i break a c-clip in the rear axle and lose a wheel it might flip. I have seen a couple 5.0 mustangs do this. I intend to be running 10's by next summer(if i can afford a good supercharger and cam) so that is why safety is a concern. I have confidence in my abilities but i am a busy person and might get in a hurry and screw something up. I got o school and work so i would probably only be able to get a single day off to do this and will need my car the next day. It doesn't sound like this would be a 1 day job so i will probably wait till the summer when i do the other mods, besides t-tops are pointless in the winter. Thanks for the incouragment.

Steve
once you get passed 11's you need a roll cage anyway so who cares?
Old 08-29-2003, 04:02 PM

SHOEBOX maybe your right ,i'am sure theirs some guys out there that can do a great job,but like i said before the car ain't original any more.If somebody wants t-tops on their car i think they should just buy it like that from the factory.I'am not trying to disagree with anybody it's just my opinion.

THANKS

NICK
Old 08-29-2003, 04:03 PM

I know that technically i need a rollcage but i am hoping to sneek by tech inspection ounce or twice(my freinds ussually get by and they have 10 second imports) just to see how fast it is. i am not going to drag race regularly. I dought it will even run 10's ussually it seems like me and my freinds cars are a second slower than we planned. I am just talking i really haven't got the money to do anything yet and am just thinking about it and looking at my options.

Last edited by 93 camaro ss; 08-29-2003 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:29 AM

dont do it!! a hard top handles better and if you dont care about that, its like driving in a blast furnace! a/c is much better
Old 08-31-2003, 07:26 AM

If your intention is to race, DON'T screw with the roof. These cars are as rigid as a wet noodle. Putting in a t-top can only contribute to their flexability. Tell you what, i'll trade you my t-top body for your non t-top since I didn't want the damn things anyway.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by 95 WHITE TRANS
SHOEBOX maybe your right ,i'am sure theirs some guys out there that can do a great job,but like i said before the car ain't original any more.If somebody wants t-tops on their car i think they should just buy it like that from the factory.I'am not trying to disagree with anybody it's just my opinion.

THANKS

NICK
Not everyone cares whether their car stays original or not. Anyone that is considering installing t-tops themselves is surely not.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:37 PM

If adding t-tops is going to mess with the handling i am definitly not doing it.

Steve
Old 08-31-2003, 02:40 PM

well yeah it will mess with handling a little bit, but you can always get sub-frame connectors? it will make it not so flexible
Old 08-31-2003, 04:00 PM

Your handling is not going to be "messed" with. It will handle like a t-topped car. You get subframe connecters and your back to better handling than you had with no t-tops. You can't do this in a day and have a finished looking job. There's no point in keeping your car original because your 93 is one of thousands. So you can't afford to fix it if you screw up but your going to make it into a 10 second car by next summer? ....
Old 08-31-2003, 04:22 PM

From what I understand, all the 93-02 F-Body's are t-top cars from the factory.
The thin composite top of the hard top cars isn't very strong to begin with.
My friend did the conversion on his 95 Formula and it looks better than an original GM t-top car.
He also used the original composite peices he cut off to make the car look like a hard top as well, just mounted some t-top brackets to it.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by superal
Your handling is not going to be "messed" with. It will handle like a t-topped car. You get subframe connecters and your back to better handling than you had with no t-tops. You can't do this in a day and have a finished looking job. There's no point in keeping your car original because your 93 is one of thousands. So you can't afford to fix it if you screw up but your going to make it into a 10 second car by next summer? ....
I can't afford to fix it if i screw up because i am saving for a supercharger and cam to make it a 10 second car. If i mess it up it will probably cost alot to fix and i won't be able to afford to buy the other parts. I think i will worry about making it fast then making it look good.

Steve

Quick Reply: t-top conversion?