LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stumbling Problem in Great Detail

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 03:33 PM

I don't think the fuel pressure sounds right "48-50psi when it stumbles" (unless a '93 is different). Mine will be 38 at idle and go up to 43'ish when I get on it. It never spikes up to 50psi. Might check that again.. especially if that is when it is running rich/stumbling. Did you program for the larger injectors?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:44 AM

Yeah it could be a coil. Brand new 300 Accel I bought w/ the coil lasting 6 days or so. Put the old one back in and bam back up and running. Still need a new coil though since it stumbles from time to time. THat coil is 7 yrs old. Gonna get a a crane coil this time around and see how it does since it's got the most volts 53K.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:43 PM

The car's got pretty extensive tuning, and yes, it's been corrected for the larger injectors.

The fuel pressure was taking a jump up due to the throttle being wide open. It's acting normal, just like my service manual specifies.

I got stuck on the road for another day, so maybe tomorrow I'll be home and able to get back to wrenching on it. Going to try the coil swap and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll swap the ICM from my other 93 onto it and see how things work then......

It's a love hate relationship isn't it??
Old 11-18-2003, 08:17 PM

Do the ICM cooling mod. It can't hurt, right? That has cured alot of people's stumbles.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:22 PM

I've yet to see if anyone suggest a vaccum leak - From your list of things checked, it's difficult to tell if you've been taken off anything recently that would cause it....

What about Intake elbow leaks/tears (especially underneath, where you cannot see)...or a intake manifold gasket going south..?

Have you used vaccum gauge on it...?

The PCM is compensating for something it 'sees'....a lean condition from too much unregulated air or a similar cause....is making it dump fuel into the system. The rest is up to you, Neo..

Just my .02....
Old 11-18-2003, 09:39 PM

What's the best way to check for a vacuum leak?
Old 11-18-2003, 11:22 PM

No Vaccuum leaks, the intake manifold is fine. It's just really stumping, especially since there's so many things that could be the culprit, and there's really no way to just single out which one it is except through trial and error.

My course of action over the next few days will be swapping my coil first, then the ICM from my other 93. Next will probably be the EGR since I was throwing a code for that before the head/cam package went on. After that, I'm going to be at a complete loss.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:02 PM

Well, after swapping in a new battery (old one died for some reason - 1 month old Red Top at that) I swapped the coil first, then the ICM. Same issues. I'm noticing that it's only after the car has been running for about a minute that the problem starts to appear. The longer it runs, the worse it gets. When it's first started cold, there's not a single issue that I can tell. Unfortunately, I can't really do a cold test drive to check for the hesitation.

I'm thinking possibly Oxygen sensors, but the problem appears before the system goes into closed loop.

I was watching the scanner, and the MAP voltage at idle is hovering around 2.1X. When I step on it, it goes up into the upper 3 to mid 4 range, then backs off down to the 1 range. Is this right?? The MAP sensor is brand new. Harness possibly. Could this even be the problem. It's still running so rich at idle after a while that it burns my eyes.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:42 AM

And another thing. The ICM was still cool to the touch when I had the car running. The car hadn't even heated up all the way before the problem started.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:48 PM

Unhappy Updated........

Here's a couple pics of one thing my cars doing:

Running Rich

Again

I have done the swap of the TB from the other car, still same problem. MAP is good, can't be the O2's since it happens well before closed loop comes around. If it was the fuel filter, then I wouldn't be running so rich and stumbling because of the richness causing a misfire (assumption only). Fuel Pressure Regulator checked out. As did the Fuel Injectors. Pressure was fine. EGR only causes about a 100 RPM drop when the diaphram is depressed at idle, indicating a blockage of the exhaust passages, but I'm hearing that won't cause my problem. Tune should be fine, but I'm going to get another one done starting all over again. Coolant temperature sensor (water pump) checks out as it's giving good readings. ditto with the one in the head. Computer is good, as I've run with the same results on three different PCM's. ICM was swapped, and checked out good, as did the coil. Wires are good, plugs are a little fouled (carbon deposits) due to the running rich. Brand new opti too. That's about it.

I'm at my limit. If I can't figure something out this weekend, I'm probably going to be dropping the car off at the (shudder) dealership either next week or the first week of december. >:

Does anyone have any other ideas??

Last edited by Fastbird93; 11-21-2003 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:23 PM

MAP should go to BARO at WOT 98-103 kPa depending on barometer. I dont know how that translates into voltage

Could it just be idling so rich its fouling the plugs out and loading up? Possibly they are drying out when it sits (cold starts) then gets worse? When a motor starts runnign rich (real rich) for some reason alot of times it takes out the O2 sensors as well. Put some new ones in and find the problem, straighten it out and then the old ones sometimes can burn off and run right, but fouled O2s have made a viscous circle for me before, fix one proble, then o2s have been fouled, which in turn fouls the plugs again or etc.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:22 PM

lol heh i donno what im talking about but vacum leak?
Old 11-21-2003, 11:58 PM

everyone says not to do the opti cause it ain't it I had that exact same problem in my 94' z28, i replaced IAT Sensor, O2's, Coil, Spark Plug Wires, I invested 500 $ into my car then my last thing I was gonna do before sell it was the Opti, I did it, and guess what it made my car run so good, just like it did when I first got it.

We hooked it up on the computer when it was cold, and it didn't throw an OPTI code i warmed her up to where she was surging at idle and stumbling, and it threw an Opti Code.

Change the Opti or get it checked, I had identical symptoms.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by mechmsb
everyone says not to do the opti cause it ain't it I had that exact same problem in my 94' z28, i replaced IAT Sensor, O2's, Coil, Spark Plug Wires, I invested 500 $ into my car then my last thing I was gonna do before sell it was the Opti, I did it, and guess what it made my car run so good, just like it did when I first got it.

We hooked it up on the computer when it was cold, and it didn't throw an OPTI code i warmed her up to where she was surging at idle and stumbling, and it threw an Opti Code.

Change the Opti or get it checked, I had identical symptoms.
The opti was the FIRST thing that I changed since the problem didn't appear until after the other opti had been off and back on because of an oil leak. NOT the opti unfortunately.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:23 AM

I have had a similar problem with my car for over a year now. The car constantly stumbles and runs poorly. When the car finally goes into closed loop ~350 seconds the car will sputter and die immediately. I have replaced everything just like you did. Opti 2 times, plugs, wires, coil, ICM, MAP, 3 different computers, 5 Alvin chips, 1 new stock chip, new intake gaskets, IAC, No EGR, 3 sets of O2's, wiring harness, plus many other things. I am beginning to think it may be the tuning on the car. I have had no other reasonable answers other than this. I have tried everything to fix this car. Have you ever tried another tuner? I have had a few small problems with Alvin in the past, but he has always tried to fix me up. I am going to try Madwolf when I get some more datamaster logs. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Quick Reply: Stumbling Problem in Great Detail