LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

struggleing camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 02:01 AM

struggleing camaro

i feel like my camaro z28 has gone downhill fast...it started overheating oneday after running it in the freeway..something went wrong in the cooling system and im guessing i blew a head gasket..either it was my fans that did not go on when they were suppose to..or my electric CSR water pump malfunctioned(which ived heard from other threads that CSR pumps suck!) but now my camaro z28 goes through gallons of coolant..overheats now and then..the same fuses for the fans and pump blow..often.the car struggles on StART UP even when hot..i have to give it gas sometimes so it can start..the other day i was trying to add oil to the engine, but the cap did not want to budge AT ALL..it seemed like it was welded shut..does anyone have an idea why that was..maybe someone out there has some answers to some of my prob's..

93' camaro Z28 355 LT1 red with black hard top. t 56 tranny, LTCC coil per cylinder,5.0 shifter, perf' chip, SLP exhaust cut out, http://photo-origin.tickle.com/image...O620267192.jpg
http://photo-origin.tickle.com/image...O828485322.jpg
Old 02-08-2006, 05:41 AM

Re: struggleing camaro

Any time you consume oil or coolant that is not leaking out of the engine, that is catastrophic. The longer you continue to run it, the greater the chance you will damage it to the point of having to spend more and more money to fix it. Put another way, the faster you fix it, the cheaper it will be.

It would appear that the heads have gotten so hot, you melted a few things, ie the oil fill cap. What could have been a simple upper gasket set and head repair has now possibly gotten to the point where you need rings. Continuing on may cause damage to the crank and the possibility of hydro locking a cylinder and bending or breaking a rod then wiping out the block is real as well.

Weigh your options as far as pulling it apart, repairing it, replacing it with a short block, long block, crate motor etc...... If it's your only mode of transport, considering renting while it's repaired.

My recommendation is to pull the heads and have a look at what's there before you decide. You should know quite a bit about the bottom end and will know how the heads have faired. Then decide the course of action.