LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

street twin????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 07:33 PM

street twin????

i jsut ordered a mcloed street twin and was looking through posts about it and was wondering how hard it is to install one. i have already put in a stocker myself. any advise would be great.

thanks
Old 06-13-2003, 08:31 PM

i can't see it being any harder then putting the stock clutch in. Its the same process just with a different clucth. I put in a slp clutch, i think the hardest part about it was doing the master cylinder and slave cylinder.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:56 AM

It's really the same process, there's just a floater plate and extra disk involved. Take the new flywheel, floater plate and pressure plate to your machine shop along with your stock pressure plate and flywheel so that your new flywheel can be matched balanced to your stock flywheel. Get an new slave cylinder if your stock one has many miles on it and get the McLeod adjustable master cylinder and you shouldn't have any problems.

Here's a couple links to what I did:
http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/staf...odinstall.html

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/staf...sterslave.html
Old 06-14-2003, 12:59 PM

Great pics and install instructions I will be doing this shortly myself and this is going to help me out a lot. By the way how much was the whole kit from GM?
Old 06-14-2003, 06:57 PM

i was reading about balanceing the flywheel. Do you have to do this??? if so where in New Jersy and how much is it.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:18 PM

To install the mcloed...

Same as stock minus a few things.

One is I believe that they now come with the master replacement which just takes time and getting the master out. IF you do the plunger replacement piece then take the assembly off and do it on a bench and bench bleed it.

Now for the flywheel/floater. It should come ballanced to 0 and have a bolt on weight to put onto the back via two bolts. It is done to stock weight as the stock rotating assembly is not ballanced as one piece...

Only thing i have not seen someone say is to shave off approx .050 off the throwout arm pivot. (bolts to the trany, just take off and grind off some so it clearances the pressure plate.)
Old 06-15-2003, 12:00 AM

still not clear on if i have to have the new flywheel prof balanced?????
Old 06-15-2003, 12:03 AM

Is your engine stock? If so I would just put the weight on and leave it. Reason being they just ballance it to factory specs. (the bolt on weight.......
Only way to PROPERLY ballance the flywheel to get the flywheel nuts on ballanaced is to pull your rotating assembly out and have it ballanced like that, sorry but a stock flywheel is not ballanced with the engine from the factory. What is your engine?
Old 06-15-2003, 12:41 PM

i have a stock LT1. well stock for now i have a CC305 waiting
Old 06-15-2003, 03:48 PM

put the weight on then and run it. If your not ballancing the rotating assembly will be fine. Enjoy the twin

Steven
Old 06-15-2003, 03:53 PM

Getting the tranny all the way in with a Street Twin is harder than with a single disk clutch. It's easier to have things out of alignment. I've installed a single disk about 3 times and a dual disk twice. Getting the stock master out is also a bit of pain because it's difficult to work around the pedals on the inside of the car with the interior in place. It's also a little awkward working the clip holding the clutch pedal to the master. None of this is impossible to do, but it's a much more time consuming install then just keeping the same master and installing another single disk clutch. You shouldn't have to machine the clutch fork pivot with the newer kits, BTW.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:27 PM

RUFFIDLNZ - The part number for the complete replacement clutch master/slave kit is 12559912 and I got it from Dal @ Van Dever Olds. I believe it was in the $85 ballpark.

I agree with RichJ, don't machine the clutch fork pivot, the McLeod master cylinder eliminates the need for that.

The flywheel is used to externally balance the LT1 engine because the internal rotating assembly isn't, as zturbo stated. Most people should be able to simply bolt the new flywheel and weight on and go without problems. However there were a number of people on this board that had vibration problems because the new flywheel balance didn't match their stock flywheel (for whatever reason). My machinist found that the quality of the McLeod was really good and only had to remove 7 grams to zero balance the pressure plate. To me the assurance was worth the $75.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:13 PM

balancing

I took my old assembly to my machinist and had the st matched. It was 40 grams diff. I would say it would be worth your while to have it balanced wth the amount of work your going to put into this pup.

I have a question for the rest of you. I wasn't very patient in brkin in the new st. How would I know if I glazed it w/o looking? It works great, but it doesn't engage until near top 1/3 of travel?
Old 06-16-2003, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the part number. I will be installing everything when I put my engine back into the car.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:32 AM

I took my old assembly to my machinist and had the st matched. It was 40 grams diff. I would say it would be worth your while to have it balanced wth the amount of work your going to put into this pup.
versus the stocker? I would bet money that the stocker was more off than the mcloed. jmo though. I have installed about 12 twins now and never had a problem so far.